• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    100 rounds at 100 yards.
    Henry .22 carbine with Rem Thunderbolt ammo.

IMG_3635.jpg
    DK Firearms

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Iron sights? That's some damn good shooting. I have a Henry .22 that use specifically for CCI quiets. Haven't stretch the legs on it past probably 40 yards.
    Oh lord no. lol My old eyes have rendered me to a scope only for long distance. But it was a cheap 4x power scope. It's the same rifle in my sig pic.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Iron sights? That's some damn good shooting. I have a Henry .22 that use specifically for CCI quiets. Haven't stretch the legs on it past probably 40 yards.
    I also have a Henry golden boy with iron sights but it's not tapped for a scope. I use it for under 50 yards. I wish it was tapped for a scope so I could see what it's capable of. I shopped around to get it tapped but everyone wanted $100 per hole, So no scope for the golden boy.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Nice shooting. I have one but mine prefers the Stingers instead. I do have a couple rifles that really like the Thunderbolts though. Typically not past 50 yards though.
    As far as a scope for it, I know you can get an adapter mount to go from 3/8 dovetail to standard 5/8 mount. I have one on my Henry and it works great.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Nice shooting. I have one but mine prefers the Stingers instead. I do have a couple rifles that really like the Thunderbolts though. Typically not past 50 yards though.
    As far as a scope for it, I know you can get an adapter mount to go from 3/8 dovetail to standard 5/8 mount. I have one on my Henry and it works great.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I haven't tried any other ammo. I have so much thunderbolt ammo I bought long ago that I tend to just shoot the cheap stuff. I may go back and try it again with better ammo.
    The scope mounts on the carbine have the option to leave the iron sights giving the option to use ether the iron sights or the scope.
    I think I do have the adapter for the GB but it requires the removal of the rear sight, so I haven't put it on. I like the traditional look of the GB without a scope.

Last edited:

joe45c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2022
    peru, ny
    Nice shooting! i have the Goldenboy in .22 mag. I have shot mine at a 100 yds and it's not even close to as accurate as yours is. Mine is not drilled for a scope, so only shoot it with iron sights, but for some reason my long rifle .22s out shoot the .22 magnum.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Nice shooting! i have the Goldenboy in .22 mag. I have shot mine at a 100 yds and it's not even close to as accurate as yours is. Mine is not drilled for a scope, so only shoot it with iron sights, but for some reason my long rifle .22s out shoot the .22 magnum.
    My GB is the same. The newer ones are tapped but mine is not. I like the traditional look without a scope so I just use it for under 50 yards.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    I have been wondering what a .22 mag would do. We all know it's a crap shoot as to what any rifle is capable of. You can take 10 rifles exactly alike and some will shoot better then others. I think I just got a good one.
    I have a Ruger security six in .357 that is a really good shooter. I bought it back in the early 80's and will never part with it. I also have a GP100 in .357 that is no where near as good.

ATN2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Texas
    What does it really prove to shoot a rifle with a scope at 100 yards and compare it to shots using iron sights from the same rifle at say 25 yards

Especially if you are shooting it from a rested position

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    What does it really prove to shoot a rifle with a scope at 100 yards and compare it to shots using iron sights from the same rifle at say 25 yards

Especially if you are shooting it from a rested position
    Nothing. We all know the two can't be compared.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    The granddaughters like shooting the Henry GB. They do a fair jo at 25 yards. The younger one needs a rest as she cannot hold the gun up due to the weight.

ATN2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Texas
    Nothing. We all know the two can't be compared.
    My point is

Cant you tell just as much about the accuracy of a rifle shooting it at a shorter distance as you can shooting it at a longer distance using a scope

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    My point is

Cant you tell just as much about the accuracy of a rifle shooting it at a shorter distance as you can shooting it at a longer distance using a scope
    I would say no. Bullet spin vs. distance. Angle vs. distance. If a bullet is arching or drifting, distance will exaggerate the effect on trajectory.

ATN2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Texas
    I would say no. Bullet spin vs. distance. Angle vs. distance. If a bullet is arching or drifting, distance will exaggerate the effect on trajectory.
    But those things are not factors of the gun but of the ammo and the other atmospheric specifics for that date and time aren't they

A windy day will certainly have more influence on drift than a calm day doesn't it

I would think a 25 yard shot at an indoor range would be much more consistent than outside on a cold and very windy, blustery day

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    But those things are not factors of the gun but of the ammo and the other atmospheric specifics for that date and time aren't they

A windy day will certainly have more influence on drift than a calm day doesn't it

I would think a 25 yard shot at an indoor range would be much more consistent than outside on a cold and very windy, blustery day
    Ammo is certainly a factor but so is the rifle. The rifle is just as important as the ammo. Not knowing what your experience is so I don't know how to enplane why. A rifle can be just as inconsistent as the ammo.
    A bullet that is wavering because of the gun will become more and more unsteady the farther it goes. If it's off by a quarter inch at 25 yards, should mean it will be off by 3 times that at 100 yards. However that could change because of the air flow over and around the bullet, making it be off even more the the 3 times what one would expect.
    You are correct in that it is mostly the ammo. However the muzzle crown can make bullets be inconsistent and create variables that can't be predicted or consistent. Defects in the chamber, riffling, and muzzle crown can make one bullet do something another wont. The farther the distance the more or less it may effect the trajectory. Another example would be a dirty gun vs. a clean one. Or a cold gun vs. a hot one.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom