• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATN2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Texas
    Ammo is certainly a factor but so is the rifle. The rifle is just as important as the ammo. Not knowing what your experience is so I don't know how to enplane why. A rifle can be just as inconsistent as the ammo.
    A bullet that is wavering because of the gun will become more and more unsteady the farther it goes. If it's off by a quarter inch at 25 yards, should mean it will be off by 3 times that at 100 yards. However that could change because of the air flow over and around the bullet, making it be off even more the the 3 times what one would expect.
    You are correct in that it is mostly the ammo. However the muzzle crown can make bullets be inconsistent and create variables that can't be predicted or consistent. Defects in the chamber, riffling, and muzzle crown can make one bullet do something another wont. The farther the distance the more or less it may effect the trajectory.
    I have virtually zero experience with a rifle

But a fair amount of shooting experience with a pistol

I mostly shoot at 7 yards to 10 meters with a pistol and can pretty well tell how accurate the "system" of the gun the ammo and the shooter is at those distances

I can kind of tell what the more about the accuracy of the gun by using a fixture to rest the gun to shoot it

But without doing that I assume most of the variance in my shots is caused by the shooter and not the gun

I would assume the same is true when I shoot at 25 yards and if I shoot from a fixture the gun is pretty much still as accurate at 25 yards as it is at 10 meters.

So there is really no reason that I need to shoot at 25 yards to test the gun but only to text my skills as a shooter

I would assume the same is true when you shoot a rifle at 100 yards using a scope as opposed to shooting at 25 yard using iron sights

I think a scop is probably useful mostly when you are trying to overcome your ability as a shooter to overcome your variability in sighting in a target and long distances and really nothing to do with the rifle's accuracy
    Guns International

joe45c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2022
    peru, ny
    I have been wondering what a .22 mag would do
    To tell you the truth i'd trade it for a short/long/long rifle Golden boy if i could find somebody who wanted to trade. .22 mag ammo is too hard to find up here in NY and too expensive when i do find some.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    To tell you the truth i'd trade it for a short/long/long rifle Golden boy if i could find somebody who wanted to trade. .22 mag ammo is too hard to find up here in NY and too expensive when i do find some.
    I have 2 Hearitage single six revolvers that came with both a .22lr and a .22 mag cylinder. I only have one box of mag that I bought many years ago. I never shoot mags out of it cause I doubt a 4'' barrel is gonna make any difference between LR and .22 mag. And the mag ammo is just to expensive.

joe45c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2022
    peru, ny
    I have 2 Hearitage single six revolvers that came with both a .22lr and a .22 mag cylinder. I only have one box of mag that I bought many years ago. I never shoot mags out of it cause I doubt a 4'' barrel is gonna make any difference between LR and .22 mag. And the mag ammo is just to expensive.
    Think i'm down to my last 200 rds of .22 mag. The problem i'm having is i live in a commie state and nobody will ship ammo here. So when my lgs doesn't have it i'm out of luck.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    I wounder what a Henry in 17HMR would do. Still expensive ammo but may be faster and more accurate.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Think i'm down to my last 200 rds of .22 mag. The problem i'm having is i live in a commie state and nobody will ship ammo here. So when my lgs doesn't have it i'm out of luck.
    That shucks, I'm in Texas, no problem here.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    I do have a couple rifles that really like the Thunderbolts though.
    Never heard anyone say anything remotely similar. I knew there was someone out there that liked Thunderbolts.
    I have 2 Hearitage single six revolvers that came with both a .22lr and a .22 mag cylinder.
    Heritage makes the Rough Rider. Ruger makes the Single Six.

I used to have a 5.5" Single Six from 1965 and videoed myself shooting it with both 22CBs and 22WMR. There is a HUGE difference. I sold it to fund a 6.5" Single Six, also from '65 in the box with an unfired WMR cylinder.

This topic makes me wanna get out my 1951 Marlin 39A with a Redfield peep sight...

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Never heard anyone say anything remotely similar. I knew there was someone out there that liked Thunderbolts.

Heritage makes the Rough Rider. Ruger makes the Single Six.

I used to have a 5.5" Single Six from 1965 and videoed myself shooting it with both 22CBs and 22WMR. There is a HUGE difference. I sold it to fund a 6.5" Single Six, also from '65 in the box with an unfired WMR cylinder.

This topic makes me wanna get out my 1951 Marlin 39A with a Redfield peep sight...
    You are correct. I just call them all single six's.

Top Bottom