• Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    He told us not in his class. Only hand guns
    .32 caliber minimum, otherwise he doesn't get to make his own rules. You could qual with SW500 if you wanted.

EDIT:
    2019-2020 edition
    Sec. 411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT.
    (a) The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach handgun proficiency is required for each person who seeks to obtain a license and must contain training sessions divided into two parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of the applicant's ability to safely and proficiently use a handgun. An applicant must be able to demonstrate, at a minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively
    LTC-16 Page 28 of 147
    operate a handgun. The department shall distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on request to any qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider seeking to administer the course or a part of the course as described by Subsection (b).

2017-2018 edition
    GC §411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT.
    (a) The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach handgun proficiency is required for each person who seeks to obtain a license and must contain training sessions divided into two parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of the applicant’s ability to safely and proficiently use a handgun. An applicant must be able to demonstrate, at a minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively operate a handgun of.32 caliber or above. The department shall distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on request to any qualified handgun instructor.

Last edited:

Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    1st off, welcome
    2nd, revolvers and SA pistols are both handguns.

Unfortunately you got a d*** instructor, I think you should name him here for the benefit of others and report him to DPS. It is his responsibility to determine an individuals proficiency in the LTC setting. Tell him you want to take the shooting test as required by law and what you've already paid for.
    I am considering file a complaint with DPS but for now I just need to find a place to do the shooting range portion and give him the certificate of that test so he can issue my certificate of completion.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You're going to have to find an LTC instructor who will conduct the test. You might try calling ranges to see if they have an LTC instructor who'd be willing to.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am considering file a complaint with DPS but for now I just need to find a place to do the shooting range portion and give him the certificate of that test so he can issue my certificate of completion.

If you learn the basics, he should give you the shooting part himself.
    Just meet up at one of his classes.
    You shouldn't have to pay for someone else to do the shooting test.

Tinieblo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Austin
    If you learn the basics, he should give you the shooting part himself.
    Just meet up at one of his classes.
    You shouldn't have to pay for someone else to do the shooting test.
    I agree. My issue is that he only do the test with hand guns. And I don't have a hand gun and he will charge me 60+ dollars for a rental and 2 boxes if ammo. I think for less money I can do the test with a instructor willing to help

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I agree. My issue is that he only do the test with hand guns. And I don't have a hand gun and he will charge me 60+ dollars for a rental and 2 boxes if ammo. I think for less money I can do the test with a instructor willing to help

I guess I missed that part.
    I would think the range would rent you a gun for much less than that.
    Typically $20, or less.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    This isn't about hand gun proficiency. Unless he disclosed all of this up front before collecting a fee, allowing you to make a choice, this is about an unscrupulous businessman making up his own rules in exception to state law and gouging with hidden add-ons. Regardless of what you do, you should report this guy to DPS

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That's BS. I'd demand a refund and find a competent LTC course.

In the interim, find someone who can show you the mechanics of shooting a semi-automatic handgun.

Or you can use the revolver you have. Texas state law allows it, and so should the LTC instructor!

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I know I should name him , but honestly I don't want to hurt his business or reputation. Not the purpose of this post. I just need my certificate of completion and my LTC license. I think he will damage his own reputation
    If you're telling the truth you're not hurting his business, he is. I can understand you waiting until all your LTC docs are in order but a forum is to discuss and help others and by naming him, that is what you'd be doing.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You DO need to name him - or at least message me his name. I want to ensure that he's not endorsed by TSRA as an Instructor - or the NRA. If he is, I'm going to be trying to get those endorsements revoked.

As others have mentioned, revolvers are perfectly legal to use in qualifying AND carrying - and as such, if that's what you intend to use, it's stupid to require you to qualify with something you're not going to be carrying. I'd politely inform him that he either allows you to qualify with your state-compliant weapon or you will be filing a complaint with DPS.

BTW - he hosed you on the class fees, at least by comparison to local instructors. If you're willing to come down to the Schertz/Cibolo area, I've got a buddy that charges $40 for the full LTC course, plus whatever the actual range fee is. http://guardian.epsilon3.com/schedule.html

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I know I should name him , but honestly I don't want to hurt his business or reputation. Not the purpose of this post. I just need my certificate of completion and my LTC license. I think he will damage his own reputation

What goes around comes around. His reputation cannot be damaged if nobody names him.

Top Bottom