Help! The neighborhood BoD has gone power hungry / control crazy .. annual 'hood meeting is this Saturday

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    A thought came to mind during a much needed shower, if you're especially knowledge of these type regs. or like technical writing + research, I'd be willing to send you the draft CCR. I mean who wouldn't jump at that chance on Labor Day weekend, right!? :green:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A thought came to mind during a much needed shower, if you're especially knowledge of these type regs. or like technical writing + research, I'd be willing to send you the draft CCR. I mean who wouldn't jump at that chance on Labor Day weekend, right!? :green:
    Sounds like those teachers that gave out homework assignments on Friday with a three-day weekend coming up!

gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    As others have said above, recommend you fight them.

We had similar experience - A few years the HOA in our neighborhood got way out of hand.

Bullying and individuals on HOA pushing their own personal agenda's on not only us but folks in general.

We were fortunate that we could afford to hire a Lawyer to engage them and we soon had them sorted out and they have left us and others alone since then.

It was and is a dam shame that we had to spend afew grand - but it was well worth it. Our neighbors and Folks in the neighborhood thanked us afterwards.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The best thing you can do to stop this nonsense is to make sure you keep the board staffed with people who won't put up with it. Don't allow outsiders to come into the neighborhood, get themselves elected, and start changing things to how they want them.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ahhhh, the joy of not living in a HOA. When we bought our place we had turned down several other places that were almost what we were looking for ( 2-5 acres, one story house) but they got the no vote based solely on them being in a HOA.
    Sorry for your aggravation.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    From what I read of the new laws, the website requirement applies to HOAs that regulate 60 lots or more. Don't know if that applies to you.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    From what I read of the new laws, the website requirement applies to HOAs that regulate 60 lots or more. Don't know if that applies to you.
    We are a mere 48 lots so if the 60 is correct and my BoD spent *countless hours* along with a paid to attorney to update our CCR yet they missed that limtation, what else did they miss?

Folks I'm looking for any/all reasons to toss out the Draft CCR or at the very least delay a vote on accepting it for 1 year.

jamesmrj

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Cypress, TX
    I'm pretty fucking sure they are lying to you, and this is just a power grab.

Our last hoa document update to comply with the laws (Sept 2012) only had to be approved by a majority of the HOA board. At least that's what the document certified. I don't think the whole neighborhood had to vote, mind you I didn't move into the area til 2014.

HOA Doc Image.jpg

Lastly, I know our HOA will have to make changes to our deed restrictions to comply with the new laws, but there has been no emergency meeting/vote called.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Having only scanned some of the docs I am FURIOUS right now, please pardon my haphazard presentation.

In the past week the Board of Directors of my TINY neighborhood (<50 small lots) sent the property owners several documents including a 23 page draft to revise the Covenants & Restrictions, again. We just revised the original, 2-page 1970s C&R in 2016 and they became a whopping 6 pages. A portion of the additional pages was the newly formed Architectural Control Committee (their words, not mine). Compliance with the ACC has been widely ignored including by the 2016-current President. These are not expensive properties, I'd be surprised if the most valuable could fetch $160K.

The BoD is claiming "new" State laws require all neighborhoods update their restrictions. Unfortunately our annual meeting is on 9/4 so right now my question is, do such new State laws exist? Link please.

Thanks much for your input.
    round up the neighbors, get them to attend and vote it down.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

We are a mere 48 lots so if the 60 is correct and my BoD spent *countless hours* along with a paid to attorney to update our CCR yet they missed that limtation, what else did they miss?

Folks I'm looking for any/all reasons to toss out the Draft CCR or at the very least delay a vote on accepting it for 1 year.
    From what I read, the 60 lot requirement is just one of them. Other requirements may be in effect even if the HOA doesn't have the 60 lot minimum.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Having been on a board for a couple years in various capacity in a past life I'll offer a couple cents.

1. Any board will always gravitate to higher dues and more control.
    2. If all spots are up for re-election, get a friend or two you live around that share your views and fill those spots.
    3. If you don't act, Karen will.

The condo I owned in Minnesota (still technically do but split with my mother as she lives there, title is mine). When I purchased in 2002 the dues were $160 that included all the usual lot and building care. It also included heat, water and sewer as the place had a gas boiler in the basement. I was just talking to my sister this morning. She has a unit across the hall, the dues are now $395 and fixin to go up to $405. It is not worth it and the cost vs value is crossing the Rubicon of sanity.

When I was on the board I was steadfast against raises in dues. The position was voluntary (not paid). If they are trying to get reimbursed for their work they are the epitome of a liberal.

You are facing a battle against the evil of a self imposed layer of government that can steal your house. You need to get active and fight them back to hell. Or, just trust the plan and wait for it to get so bad that you will just hope for someone to save you.

Winning that election would be a walk in the park because most people either won't show up or don't want to get involved. Just have a campaign speech that says you will fight any increases and work to restrict any changes. If you can get ahold of the president spot you can shape the direction. If you get any spot you can be a wrench in the gears. The operation of the board is tightly governed with quorum and bylaw rules. One of the biggest scams the board I was on used was getting proxy votes that just counted to the person that currently held the spot. The old lady held the president spot for like 15 years. We had a min quorum of 60% to hold yearly public meetings, probably 10% would show, the remaining 50% was by proxy. Positions required half plus 1 votes of total cast.

......rant off. I hate associations.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Well here's something to chew on. What is the monthly or annual dues for the HOA? What's the compliance rate with payment? What sort of savings does the HOA have? As a property owner you are entitled to statements of how much money is coming in, where its going out to, etc. My next question then is - do they have enough money to actually put up a legal fight, especially if multiple property owners say "F you" and just stop paying / stop complying with the petty bullshit?
    $735 annual for me with 1 lot / 1 boat stall. Others with more property do pay more and compliance is at or near 100% most years, non=compliance issues being when someone is being contrary or has sold w/out payment.

Accounting for regular income/expenses, I don't recall our $$ cushion exceeding 5K and definitely not $10K so no, "they" don't have money for excessive legal battles unless owners decide to fund out of pocket.

Financial statements have always been available at annual meetings but since we didn't meet last year, I don't recall getting one and didn't find one searching emails. That has me wondering if current CCR requires all members receive annual statements so down that rabbit hole I go . . . :mad:

4kids2dogs&RV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2020
    NE San Antonio
    Check your documents, IIRC, there is a requirement to provide notice 30 days in advance of annual meetings. You could use that to delay the vote and give you time to research and garnet support from some neighbors

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    $735 annual for me with 1 lot / 1 boat stall. Others with more property do pay more and compliance is at or near 100% most years, non=compliance issues being when someone is being contrary or has sold w/out payment.

Accounting for regular income/expenses, I don't recall our $$ cushion exceeding 5K and definitely not $10K so no, "they" don't have money for excessive legal battles unless owners decide to fund out of pocket.

Financial statements have always been available at annual meetings but since we didn't meet last year, I don't recall getting one and didn't find one searching emails. That has me wondering if current CCR requires all members receive annual statements so down that rabbit hole I go . . . :mad:

If I remember right from my conversations with one of my friends here (who is/was VP of the HOA) yes, they have a requirement to send financial statements or make them available to all the members.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    What is a: Board of Directors of a neighborhood and under what authority do they direct anything? Do you mean you live within the confines ruled by an HOA? If not, what authority does anyone have over a neighborhood unless they are officials of a city, country or state government? Even ultra liberal NYC does not have boards of directors of neighborhoods as far as I am aware.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    HOAs, POAs & Civic Clubs have long existed for Texas neighborhoods. We genarally don't have zoning laws like other areas.

Top Bottom