• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ILexpatriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2024
    Piney woods
    Really? I don't know where I got the idea they used electromagnets.
    It is an electromagnet. It can be "shut off", by dropping the cryo cooling helium. It's known as quenching the magnet. It's very expensive to bring the magnet back online. I've seen internet banter of up to $250k, but even half of that would be uncomfortable..

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    It is an electromagnet. It can be "shut off", by dropping the cryo cooling helium. It's known as quenching the magnet. It's very expensive to bring the magnet back online. I've seen internet banter of up to $250k, but even half of that would be uncomfortable..
    Yeah, I didn't remember the exact cost but it is stupid expensive.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Really? I don't know where I got the idea they used electromagnets.
    <>

All the better MRI’s are superconducting liquid Nitrogen cooled. Others are combo superconductor/electromag combos. A few of the low-field are permanent magnets, many of those have electromagnet augmentation. To best of my memory, none can be immediately shut-down.

Everyone must be very careful.

B/C of possible hot oil leaks from X-Ray tube housings in CT scanner gantry tubes, some C/T scanners do have the big red shutoff buttons like commercial gasoline pumps have.

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Emergency “Quenches” are problematic & I don’t recall exactly how much time is required. Also, if the liquid Nitrogen leaks into the scan room, It could suffocate patients or personnel. There are other difficulties.

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    How the hell did this thread go from HEB to MRI ADs and butt plugs?

leqyb.jpg

Top Bottom