Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Wonderful.

As we noted last week here on KTRH, normally anything above a 3.5% increase must be approved by the voters. But the local Democrats are using a loophole that allows the County to bypass the people when there is an emergency, which we had with Hurricane Beryl.

"The problem is, you have a leftist progressive majority Harris County Court" Bettencourt told KTRH, "They have never met a tax increase that they're not going to like, and try to put on the taxpayers. And this one is the largest tax increase that you can have in the county."

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    They are getting what they voted for.
    Nope. We the minority conservatives in the Houston metroplex are getting what the dimocrat majority voted for...or maybe didn't even have to. Harris County was one of the largest in the nation to have suspect voting irregularities both in 2020 and 2022.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Nope. We the minority conservatives in the Houston metroplex are getting what the dimocrat majority voted for...or maybe didn't even have to. Harris County was one of the largest in the nation to have suspect voting irregularities both in 2020 and 2022.
    you may not have voted for it, but Harris county was a liberal county before 2020, and this seems to be what the majority of voters there want. I also don’t see Harris county residents rising up to get rid of Dora or anyone else.

mkupka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2016
    you may not have voted for it, but Harris county was a liberal county before 2020, and this seems to be what the majority of voters there want. I also don’t see Harris county residents rising up to get rid of Dora or anyone else.
    So glad I moved to Nacogdoches in 1991. I graduated from North Shore HS and lived in the Atascocita and Kingwood areas when they were still nice. Harris County was a decent place to live in the 80's but friends and family still living there say it's terrible for many reasons and property taxes are lower down on that list.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    We're staying. Not saying it's paradise on earth but at this point it's where we're from, and the kids and grandkids are out in the 'burbs pretty close. Thought about moving out there but you think taxes are high in Harris County look at Fort Bend County. Plus there's nothing to do out there and they do work and school all week.

I live within two miles of two indoor ranges and I can run out to American in George Bush Park when the weather's nice without much trouble if I want. Twenty minutes away by the Westpark toll road. Plus everything else we need is close. It's quite convenient.

Based on last year's tax bill my increase would be $46.60. That's just the Harris County and not all the other Harris County taxes like the Hospital District et al. If it includes all of them it would be $70.46. It'll be less than that even because that's just the regular homestead exemption. We just bought the place and we'll get the senior exemption.

I'm curious about seeing my first tax bill. The other thing those damn Democrats did was raise the Senior exemption! Bastards!

"Harris County commissioners voted 4-0 May 7—with Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo being absent from the vote—to increase property tax exemptions for senior and disabled residents by $45,000, from $275,000 to $320,000. The figure now allows the owner of a home at the median value in Harris County, estimated at $320,000, to exempt the entire value of their home, said Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia, who placed the item on the agenda.

The exemption can be applied to taxes paid to the county, the Harris County Flood Control District and the Harris County Hospital District, Garcia said."

My County taxes should be zero. The biggest single item on the tax bill is the City of Houston. But the City has a $260,000 over-65 exemption. The tax bill won't be zero, There's still HISD, Port of Houston, and HCC. But it shouldn't be much. It's one of the reasons we downsized to a smaller place, and one of the reasons we were OK moving into the city. Sure, we'd rather be in the country somewhere but we were gone for a while and found we missed family.

With Texas property taxes you have to look at the exemptions. It's kind of like the Standard Deduction on your income taxes. They knock your taxable amount down, especially if you're a senior.

Top Bottom