• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The real reason it has not been legalized is that there is not any simple measuring device to determine intoxication levels. If person X has .08 BAC he is unfit to drive, per the law. If LEO had a similar device to test for cannabis intoxication then it would have been legalized by now.

People can make their own alcohol, and many do tax free. Cannabis growing will undoubtedly also occur.

Stop the madness....
    Texas SOT

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The real reason it has not been legalized is that there is not any simple measuring device to determine intoxication levels. If person X has .08 BAC he is unfit to drive, per the law. If LEO had a similar device to test for cannabis intoxication then it would have been legalized by now.

Valid point, but there exists no way of determining intoxication levels today for any of the drugs. It's a field test, and up to the discretion of the officer.

I think the most valid aspect of your point is that with interpretation comes litigation risk, but by setting a no legal limit for pot you'd be setting the ground work for a defense. Essentially, handle it like they do CHLs with alcohol.

There's always a blood draw as a measure for establishing intoxication, but that isn't tolerated very well by the public and from personal experience it's easiest to identify the pothead well before you establish any signs of intoxication; the smell.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nothing dangerous about it, and I don't know what history you are referring to; but I do know that those who serve in uniform should have the full rights of citizens of this great country.

Beg pardon, but that wasn't what you said earlier. You were saying that military personnel should have additional rights, not just full rights.

Also, it's impossible for current-service military personnel to enjoy the full rights of the rest of us during their term. It can (and will) lead to break-downs in the organization. How so?

First off, the UCMJ. The military has its own laws for a reason, and it's considered a violation of a civilian's rights to subject them to it. AFAIK, there isn't a jury trial for UCMJ offenses.

Then there are all these other special situations you'll ever run into in the military. The most extreme example I can come up with involves refusing an order in combat. Guess what? Your immediate superior probably has the right (arguably the duty) to kill you on the spot if you do that. I've met a man who did it (in Vietnam) and I've talked to others who've seen it done.

Sorry, but people currently serving have surrendered some of their rights willingly in exchange for the opportunity to serve, and this surrender is necessary to the function of the organization. It's been that way since the Continental Army (Washington was quite harsh with men who crapped in the wrong place... men who didn't get a jury trial).

To your other question about the dangers of giving special privileges to the military and the history of it? It's a recurring theme that pops up over and over throughout recorded history, actually. The problem is that it leads to corruption. Special privilege is most often used as a way to cement loyalty to the military command and/or government over loyalty to the people and nation.

But hey - it's only happened every other time it's tried in history, so we're due for it to work the other way. Right?

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    If they legalized it then what would law enforcement have to do? That is probably like almost 50% of their work. The other 50% being speeding tickets.
    It really should have never been illegal in the first place. It is a naturally growing plant. There are many other plants that also can give a intoxication.
    Only processed drugs should be illegal, like cigarettes, alcohol, all other drugs. The only dangerous part about marijuana is the actual smoking of it. Any other way you consume it is perfectly healthy, like baking it into food or vaporizing it.

GotAmmo21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    pasadena texas
    I dont do drugs of any sort but I fully support this. Why? Well have you EVER heard somene say ''well I dont smoke marijuana because its illegal''? No the people who want to smoke it smoke it, I can believe this is even being debated on a GUN FORUM where we preach ''If criminals want guns they will get them''. I know plenty of stoners and they may seem stupid but they are very injenuitive and trust me their are MANY MANY overseas web site that will ship marijuana seeds and books on how to grow it. Dont believe me? Check out weedcity.com, marijuana cannot be taxed techincally because its natural and their for techancally only thing like cocaine and other drugs that require chemicals and non-natural things to give you the ''high''. But im sure if it does become retally available it will be taxed. Just think before you say no it shouldent be legalized what has making it illegal done? Raised the price, made it dangerous to bring over from foriegn countrys and its created an under ground world where the criminals use firearms to gain respect and keep people quiet about their buisness. I think if all drugs were legailzed it would make the US a much better place, how you ask? Well first of all most of the illegal mexicans love mexico and only live here because mexico is a shit-hole because of drug cartels. Making all drugs legal and retally available would eleminate the cartels and other violent drug-based orginazations. And if the violent felons and people willing to kill to gain their living are out of buisness then they wont need to use firearms (as much) for violent crimes so the crime rate would sink almost overnight and their for the liberal media wouldent have any evedince (besides the fake statiscs they already use) and if criminals dont need guns (as much) then that will be another argument for getting the NFA, 68' gun control act, 86' manufacture ban and the 89' import ban taken away. Which at least to the people on here who dont make their livings off NFA items is what most of us want isnt it? I know its what I want, I want the old America back not the Divided States of Embarrsment what we have now.

GotAmmo21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    pasadena texas
    +1

Lots of burglars eat oranges, does that mean oranges are a gateway to burglary?

Thats it!! Im going to use this quote from a forum as evedince to ban oranges, orange juice and anything else with oranges who knows mabye we can even ban those pesky ''apples'' as the kids call them hopefully my childrens children will live in a safer world without oranges and apples.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    If they legalized it then what would law enforcement have to do? That is probably like almost 50% of their work. The other 50% being speeding tickets.
    It really should have never been illegal in the first place. It is a naturally growing plant. There are many other plants that also can give a intoxication.
    Only processed drugs should be illegal, like cigarettes, alcohol, all other drugs. The only dangerous part about marijuana is the actual smoking of it. Any other way you consume it is perfectly healthy, like baking it into food or vaporizing it.
    Damn...we been discovered!!! All we do is bust kids with blunts and write speeding tickets! LMAO

You were kidding right?

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    The real reason it has not been legalized is that there is not any simple measuring device to determine intoxication levels.

The REAL reason it hasn't been legalized is the government will never reduce the amount of funding that goes into the anti-drug campaign, and to legalize marijuana would mean lowering their yearly budget and reducing personnel. Translation = no way in Hell.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

There's plenty of work for the police. One of the downsides to legalization is that you'll have increased numbers of people driving around under the influence. If anything, you can expect more traffic enforcement.

Plus, if there's one thing I've noticed ... alot of criminals and fugitives get busted driving around. So while speeding tickets seem like a revenue generator, they also serve a method for skimming the surface of society.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The REAL reason it hasn't been legalized is the government will never reduce the amount of funding that goes into the anti-drug campaign, and to legalize marijuana would mean lowering their yearly budget and reducing personnel. Translation = no way in Hell.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Same reason why the ATF got nailed trying to subsidize it's own job with Project Gun Runner. It would not surprise me if it was a power ploy by the FBI to gain more resources and a bigger share of the ATF.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    hah! i never thoguht of that. not a bad plan.
    and i do agree with TrailDust.

people dont want their money messed with. sure pot can make the country / state / cities a bunch of money on the open market, via taxes etc. but that money wouldnt be able to be pocketed DEA chronies

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    hah! i never thoguht of that. not a bad plan.
    and i do agree with TrailDust.

people dont want their money messed with. sure pot can make the country / state / cities a bunch of money on the open market, via taxes etc. but that money wouldnt be able to be pocketed DEA chronies

Not just the DEA, but think of all the companies that supply or run prisons, the defense lawyers, etc. that make a ton of money off of the illegal drug trade being processed through the system. Just follow the money.

Marijuana is a damn weed that grows naturally in this climate, the price would only be high for a short period until it got farmed and put out on the market by a ton of sources. Hell, I would probably grow some lab grade ultra weed that makes you think you are Spock from Star Trek if it was profitable. I bet I wouldn't even have to get out of my neighborhood, or even street, to sell it all; hell this is Austin, LOL.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not just the DEA, but think of all the companies that supply or run prisons, the defense lawyers, etc. that make a ton of money off of the illegal drug trade being processed through the system. Just follow the money.

You've been watching Glenn Beck, haven't you? :p

But you're right. Money talks.

Marijuana is a damn weed that grows naturally in this climate, the price would only be high for a short period until it got farmed and put out on the market by a ton of sources. Hell, I would probably grow some lab grade ultra weed that makes you think you are Spock from Star Trek if it was profitable. I bet I wouldn't even have to get out of my neighborhood, or even street, to sell it all; hell this is Austin, LOL.

It would be hard to compete with the tobacco companies on this one. They've got all the resources they need to turn out tons of high-quality product at low prices within a year of legalization.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    It was Ronald Reagan who said there was nothing closer to eternal life on this planet than a government bureaucracy or program, and our drug enforcement agencies are perfect examples of that. I have three relatives who are DEA agents and all I can say is based on their insight the legalization of any drug has about as much chance of happening as every American becoming a trillionaire in the next six seconds.

weiss27md

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Pflugerville, TX
    There's plenty of work for the police. One of the downsides to legalization is that you'll have increased numbers of people driving around under the influence. If anything, you can expect more traffic enforcement.

Plus, if there's one thing I've noticed ... alot of criminals and fugitives get busted driving around. So while speeding tickets seem like a revenue generator, they also serve a method for skimming the surface of society.

Under the influence of marijuana the last thing you feel like doing is driving.

Top Bottom