Texas SOT

Guy shoots himself three feet from me!!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    So I was at the shooting range today shooting my new Colt 1991 series 80 and my new Glock 19 RTF for the first time since I got them (DEC 2010). My day was going great, not many people out. Just me and one other guy to my right on the pistol range. As the guy to my right packs his stuff up and waits for a cease fire to go get his targets another gentleman walks up to the shooting bench on my left about 3 feet fom me. He begins to unpack his three pistols as I keep shooting. I empty my mags into the paper and hear the siren for the cease fire. I lock my slide back and step back behind the line just as the guys to my right and left do. The guy to my right goes and gets his targets and the guy to my left and I post our targets. We get back and the line is called hot again so I continue shooting.

I hear the guy to my right shoot one shot and then see his gun jam. I take a quick look over and notice it is a springfield xd. Not sure at the time what caliber it is. I continue shooting and hear him fire one more shot. Then I hear him say "Oh I messed up bad". I see him holding his hand and blood going everywhere. I looked at him and asked him if it was just his hand. He said yes as I was calling 911, but my stupid phone would not dial out for some reason so I started running to the office to call. Right as I step inside my phone works and dials 911. I let the owner know and gave the dispatch all the info I could as I ran back outside to the guy who shot himself. The owners son followed me out with a ton of towels. We wrapped the towels around his hand until the paramedics got there. It took 7 minutes from the time I made the call. The man who shot himself was about 70 years old and handled it very well. He said he wished his leg was long enough to kick himself in the ass for being so stupid.

Come to find out his gun jammed so he banged on the muzzle with his palmto unjam it. You know what happened next. Also it was a 9mm. Anyone who says a 9mm is not enough for self defense or to take out a bad guy is crazy. The hole I saw in his hand proved it. It was ball ammo and the exit wound was as big around as a half dollar. Very messy!!!

About 20 minutes later the dallas sheriffs dept showed up and took pictures of everything. The guy was transported to baylor. The sheriffs said when the got him into the ambulance things got worse. Not really sure what that meant? They said he was transported on a code 3 whatever that means. I just hope the guy is OK. He seemed like a really nice guy. He said he was scared to call his wife because he would never hear the end of it. He still had a sense of humor after shooting himself in the hand. Needless to say he was very embarrased. I took pictures of the ground where he was and will try to post them if I can figure it out.

Any questions let me know.

Justin
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Damn, hope he is alright. Sounds like he was in good spirits anyway.

Sounds like you did a good job of helping and keeping your cool. I am sure he really appreciated it.

tweek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    DFW
    Damn - guess we all have one of those days.

Being 70 I would not be surprised if he went in to shock. Blowing a hole in your hand is going to cause you to leak some blood out. who knows what his health was really like. Even a young healthy person is going to have some trouble with a wound like that.

Hope he gets to hear his wife chew his ass.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Yeah, hope he's ok.

At that age, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on some blood thinning medication and the hand wound wasn't clotting up. My father is on the stuff and even a small cut will bleed for an hour.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Man, first I hope the guy is OK.. Next, that is one of my biggest fears..screwing up like that..Hell, I am one of the safest people I Know, and it could still happen. You space for a moment, blood sugar gets low, any number of things or distractions.. It's also another reason I like to go to the range in the middle of the week when there are only a few people around. This should serve as a reminder for ALL, myself included...Slow down, and Think..Always clear the weapon before trying to preform even the most remedial task.. Again, I hope he is able to get is arse chewed by the wife, and is out shooting again soon.. God Speed

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    GunShot022.jpg GunShot023.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yikes! With the muzzle pressed up against his palm like that, the muzzle blast is going to do about as much damage as the bullet. Hope he's alright, but odds are his hand is wrecked.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Yikes! With the muzzle pressed up against his palm like that, the muzzle blast is going to do about as much damage as the bullet. Hope he's alright, but odds are his hand is wrecked.

Yeah with his hand pressed against the muzzle those gases are looking for somewhere to expand.

Sounds terrible. I'm so sorry that this had to happen to be a reminder to us all...

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Loss of function could be just as big of an emergency as the blood loss. Code 3 transport would be pretty standard under the circumstances. Really, blood loss should have been pretty insignificant as compared to overall volume and fairly easily controlled with pressure or a tourniquet.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yeah with his hand pressed against the muzzle those gases are looking for somewhere to expand.

Sounds terrible. I'm so sorry that this had to happen to be a reminder to us all...

Exactly. I'm actually wondering if this isn't related to the goofy way the grip safety on the XD operates combined with an operator that wasn't well-versed in it. Remember, the XD slide won't move to the rear if you don't depress the grip safety, likewise the pistol won't fire.

By the way the OP described it, it sounds like he might not have had the safety fully depressed, pulled the trigger and got nothing, then tried opening the pistol to find it "jammed" shut. So, finger still on trigger, he smacks the muzzle against the palm of his hand to try and free it. Pushing forward depresses the grip safety, there's still pressure on the trigger and... Ouch.

At least, that's how it sounds to me. But I wasn't there.

Beowulfs XD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Farmersville, TX.
    Any questions let me know.

Justin

Where did this happen? From your photo, I dont' think it was from the Garland range. Was it Elm Fork? Anyhow...Wow! That's horrible! Poor oldtimer. Hope it all works out for him. At his age it really takes a LONG time for injuries to heal up, if they ever do. But I guess a lesson for the rest of us about what not to do. A hard lesson learned. Reminds me.... "Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, then teaches the lesson."

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Sorry you had to go through that but I'm glad you did your best under such conditions and glad you were there for him. I seen people panic and freeze not knowing what to do.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    It was at Gibsons in Mesquite (Lawson RD) between hwy 80 and hwy 20 right across from devils bowl speedway. Its not exactly mesquite its right after you cross the county line. Thats why the dallas sheriffs dept was there.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I just posted tis on another forum (glocktalk) and got in trouble for posting the pics??? We're all adults here right?? We can handle mature images?? Its not like I took a pic of his hand and posted it. That may be a little far.

Top Bottom