• glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Just another for your consideration:

And another thing to consider, if you buy from Bud's, check closely that what you get isn't a used gun. They have a well-earned reputation for selling used guns as new.
    Lynx Defense

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    ... her problem is that she is not a "gun" person, and has to think about how to get it loaded and going. I'm still working on that.

Watch for the right opportunity: like when you are going away on a week long business trip, she is driving overnight alone on a trip, or she comments on a particularly scary home invasion news story. That's when you teach her the procedures, have her practice, and then test her. She needs more motivation than a simple, hey c'mere let me show you how to do this.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Maybe something like a Walther PPK - small, but it has some mass and will absorb recoil, and .380 is fairly gentle-shooting. And the pistol itself is compact enough she may not think of it as "heavy".
    I got a PPK for my wife. For some reason, she couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. I shot it fine, so I know it wasn't a gun issue, it was a Mrs. No2Gates issue.
    There was something about the gun that didn't work naturally for her, and since she wanted it for protection, it didn't make sense to keep it.

black_ice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2017
    Let me preface this by saying my wife doesn't shoot. She's gone twice.

I used to keep a XD9 Tactical (5") in her nightstand. Will probably put it back there with a cheaper streamlight or something on it.
    She has shot that before and it was fine.

I got her a P365x awhile ago, got it cerakoted all girly and crap. Zero'd it in on Sunday, she shot 1 round and hated it.
    She watched the kids shoot a suppressed Walther P22 or whatever it's called and thinks that's the ticket

Outside of finding a stronger wife, what would be a good gun for her to carry in her purse when she makes her midnight trip to Racetrac for a slushy?
    She already complains the tiny P365 is heavy.

I've thought about putting a compensated slide on it, like the Spectre Comp or the X-Macro, but I don't think that will do much. I have an x-macro and maybe it's more controlled, but it still packs a punch even compared to a P320 carry.
    View attachment 392663

I bought my wife one of those 20 gauge beretta’s as an anniversary gift one year and she had never shot a gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    My daughter mentioned a few years back that she wanted a gun for Christmas. The Ruger SR22 had just came out, and I thought that would be just the ticket. Now she complains it's heavy and she doesn't like the recoil. <shrug> She doesn't shoot it.

My wife OTOH went with me to a gun show after we had been dating a couple months. She wandered off and came back with a pristine Colt 38spl snubby. Then a few years ago she decided she wanted a semi-auto. She tried racking various models in 380 with no joy. Finally she looked at a Beretta Tomcat, .32 Auto with a tip-up barrel, and that suited her just fine.

I'm a proponent of a .22LR semi-auto (Ruger LCP II in .22LR, or Ruger SR22) or a revolver in .22WMR. Lots of hot SD loads have been mentioned. Nobody wants to get shot, even if it's only a .22.

,22 magnum from a 2" barrel has a lot of muzzle blast, real Shock and Awe stuff if you are on the downrange end. The Ruger or S&W lightweights would be my choice here, and maybe a Taurus.

I'll agree with all the above who recommend you let her pick it out.

BABBALOU1956

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Lewisville
    Maybe a Ruger Security 380 or Ruger LCR/LCRX in .22 magnum. 2 or 3" barrel. (LCRX) The Federal PUNCH 22 WMR usually expands & penetrates 11-13" in gel & denim tests from 2" barrels. But as some have suggested it's best to let her try out every option & pick a favorite.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Wife.gif

chas019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2019
    central texas
    if you think a small revolver may be the answer, my advice is to get a plinker with a longer barrel and a little heavier to avoid any concussion from the barrel and reduce recoil so it will be more enjoyable. Also find a friend with a lady pardner that does shoot and let them do their thing together. If it was in houston my niece does shooting classes from time to time. I have seen pictures of her group of ladies and they seem to have fun at it. A 380 is better than a 22 and a 22 magnum is better than a 22 but a 22 is better than nothing.

the best advice I can give is times are changing and awareness of your situation and local is more important than what protection you have. Pepper spray in the car is something to think about but small children are also in the equasion.

My wife never complained about recoil or noise when she was learning to shoot and she is 5 foot 2 and about 120. She liked a double stack 380 bersa that is one of my first carry guns when I was riding motorcycles. She could load it and work the slide and would shoot it by herself while I was on the rifle range nextdoor.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    lady-sure-shots

Lady Sure Shots​

This free women-only shooting group covers various topics each month, is open to all skill levels, and requires no reservation! Classes held monthly at each location.
    FREE | 1.5 hours

At Range USA Centers.

chas019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2019
    central texas
    I’m just gonna suggest something to give an alternative.

Load with Speer GDHP
    Lightweight, low recoil, but effective
    I've never had to draw. But I've been in the situation twice where I had my hand on the grip and was about to.
    the only time I needed a gun it was in dallas at a convience store and the gun was in the truck, thinking back that might have been better. Reallu it was just money and wasn't violent.

chas019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2019
    central texas
    That fragmenting crap is useless for anything larger than a squirrel. Stick with the deep-penetrating .22lr rounds like Punch or Velocitors.
    my ex wife had a large black man come into intensive care with 22 22 bullet holes in him some might have been through and through but anyway they treated him and released him the next morning.

chas019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2019
    central texas
    I'm somewhat of a collector (i think addict is a better definition) that rarely gets rid of guns. If the p365-380 conversion isn't where she wants to be, then no big deal.

Now that we've got a membership to the range, going isn't a "burden" anymore. We can hit the range for 30 minutes and not feel we have to maximize our lane fees. Perhaps she'll start going a little more often.
    you need to collect a ruger 22 with a silencer so she can really have fun.

Top Bottom