• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Let me preface this by saying my wife doesn't shoot. She's gone twice.

I used to keep a XD9 Tactical (5") in her nightstand. Will probably put it back there with a cheaper streamlight or something on it.
    She has shot that before and it was fine.

I got her a P365x awhile ago, got it cerakoted all girly and crap. Zero'd it in on Sunday, she shot 1 round and hated it.
    She watched the kids shoot a suppressed Walther P22 or whatever it's called and thinks that's the ticket

Outside of finding a stronger wife, what would be a good gun for her to carry in her purse when she makes her midnight trip to Racetrac for a slushy?
    She already complains the tiny P365 is heavy.

I've thought about putting a compensated slide on it, like the Spectre Comp or the X-Macro, but I don't think that will do much. I have an x-macro and maybe it's more controlled, but it still packs a punch even compared to a P320 carry.
    1687267702317.png
    Guns International

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I stopped suggesting small/light guns for women years ago. Most women I know prefer to shoot heavier guns that help control recoil. I went through a lot of j frames, polymer ans such before coming to this realization. My GF carries my CZ pcr now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I have helped a few ladies find and learn to shoot a handgun. All but one chose the S&W M&P Shield EZ .380 acp.
    It racks really easy for women and shoots well and low recoil.
    You may find it cheaper but here is an example at Academy.

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    I have helped a few ladies find and learn to shoot a handgun. All but one chose the S&W M&P Shied EZ .380 acp.

I just noticed you live in FW. I am a member of Range USA in North Richland Hills. I could meet with you and wife to shoot the 380 and see how she likes it.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's really two desires here. First is something she can have for protection, second is something enjoyable to spend time putting lead down range with. Maybe suggest she shoot the P365 enough to be and remain confident, should it's utility arise. Then, get her a plinker to have fun with. .22's with a can are fun for everyone.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    She wants a small, light pistol, but without a lot of recoil. That's a tough list of criteria to work with.

Do you get the impression that she would regularly practice with a pistol that met the above criteria? If not, I would ignore the recoil issue and go for a small, light, reliable pistol, based on the assumption that if she had to use her pistol for self defense, she may not notice recoil.

Take her to a big gun store or show and let her handle small, light revolvers and polymer frame pistols. Of the ones that pass her look, feel, size test, have her test fire them at a range. Buy the one she likes the most.

Having her spend some mental energy picking HER gun may translate to more range time for her.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    View attachment 392675

Load it with Stingers or Federal Punch ammo
    I may have to look into this!

I stopped suggesting small/light guns for women years ago. Most women I know prefer to shoot heavier guns that help control recoil. I went through a lot of j frames, polymer ans such before coming to this realization. My GF carries my CZ pcr now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly. But she wants something that is light enough to carry. She's 5'2" and just shy of 110lbs.

I have helped a few ladies find and learn to shoot a handgun. All but one chose the S&W M&P Shield EZ .380 acp.

I've never really looked at the 380... I don't think I own one, actually.

let her choose what fits her the best!
    meh she'll choose nothing

My wife refuses to shoot, so after a week of discussion, and her trying triggers, she ended up with a 3" SP 101 357 that I keep wadcutters in it for mild recoil and penetration. So far it hasn't been used much but it goes bang .
    Going to look into this as well. I think the 38/357 might be the ticket.

There's really two desires here. First is something she can have for protection, second is something enjoyable to spend time putting lead down range with. Maybe suggest she shoot the P365 enough to be and remain confident, should it's utility arise. Then, get her a plinker to have fun with. .22's with a can are fun for everyone.
    She's not real big on the the range. Just needs a handgun she can handle and can carry enough rounds that she'll eventually hit the threat

She wants a small, light pistol, but without a lot of recoil. That's a tough list of criteria to work with.

Do you get the impression that she would regularly practice with a pistol that met the above criteria? If not, I would ignore the recoil issue and go for a small, light, reliable pistol, based on the assumption that if she had to use her pistol for self defense, she may not notice recoil.

Take her to a big gun store or show and let her handle small, light revolvers and polymer frame pistols. Of the ones that pass her look, feel, size test, have her test fire them at a range. Buy the one she likes the most.

Having her spend some mental energy picking HER gun may translate to more range time for her.
    I think the reality is, if in a self-defense situation, she's not going to be worrying about scary recoil.
    Perhaps I need to find some really light loads for her.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Let me preface this by saying my wife doesn't shoot. She's gone twice.

Herein lies the issue.....

If she doesn't want to shoot, no gun you buy her will change that. She needs to make these choices on her own. Otherwise, that pistol is going to collect dust in a safe....

Find A Girl And A Gun group or trainer in your area. Encourage her to attend a meet....bribe her if necessary. She'll be among other women who have similar issues and experiences. She'll also get to try a variety of guns. Let her make the choice....

Top Bottom