• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Narrator

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2024
    Texas
    I knew this was going to be interesting.

- Bags are great, but be prepared to change them/recharge them frequently in high humidity environments.
    - Golden Rod works good but it get hot as hell, be careful of what's around it.

A good coating of RemOil or Fluid Film goes a looooong way with nothing else (or any of the above).

Bolt it down, but do it right. Thieves are sneaky as shit.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I can’t think of a single good reason to put a gun safe in the garage.

Hell when I lived in a 1000 sq/ft apartment I sacrificed room to have it in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    Mine's in the garage, with no humidity control or monitoring, and I've had no issues. I wipe down with a silcone cloth prior to putting in and slip them into silicone socks. Works great.
    I have a number of guns in my garage "overflow" safe, never an issue.
    I've had mine inside and in the garage over the years, but the last 14 years have been in the garage. No rust or issues at all.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I can’t think of a single good reason to put a gun safe in the garage.

Hell when I lived in a 1000 sq/ft apartment I sacrificed room to have it in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have four 72" x 41" safes in the house, and a smaller (5' IIRC) one in the garage. When you come in, wave to the full-color camera (plus the other 3 that recorded you backing in) and the pressure sensors......all feeding back to my phone.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Do you use a hygrometer to check humidity? What is the average humidity level on the safe? I’m currently between 50-55% and 85-90 degrees.
    I don’t check the humidity.
    I trust
    “The Golden Rod Dehumidifier works by slightly increasing the air temperature inside the gun safe or other enclosure. This allows the warm air to circulate throughout the safe on a continual basis, thus eliminating humidity, mildew, and condensation.”
    It has performed well for me for 10 years.

psledoux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2015
    You should be fine. Just make sure you put one of those heating wants in the safe and a humidity gauge monitor. They sell those online or look on the Liberty safe website. You need to have those in your safe - even if it's in the house or the garage.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I have four 72" x 41" safes in the house, and a smaller (5' IIRC) one in the garage. When you come in, wave to the full-color camera (plus the other 3 that recorded you backing in) and the pressure sensors......all feeding back to my phone.

That’s great is you are home to do something about it…..otherwise useless fluff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I have a large safe in the garage and used to use silica pacs but that got to be a pain to recharge in the oven. I settled on a dehumidifier in the garage. It regulates perfectly and makes the garage much more comfortable to work in. I'm down near the coast and the 2 car garage stays at 55-60%
    I used to keep the safe bolted down with a stack of large diameter washers similar to the hockey puck idea. The problem was the safe floor was made of much thinner steel. It flexed and ended up with the door side sitting on the floor. A horse stall Matt from tractor supply works better as a moisture barrier.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    How do you regulate humidity and should I raise the safe off the ground with hockey pucks? I’ve heard it’s not good for it to be flat on the concrete.
    I would anchor it to the foundation. If it’s raised on pucks or as I’ve seen others do, leave one on the pallet it was delivered with, thieves can easily come in with a floor jack and wheel it out. You’d actually be assisting them in a speedy theft.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I keep them in a green recycle bin in the garage. Nobody will find them in there. $120

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 15-39-32 green recycle bin at DuckDuckGo.png

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    You should be fine. Just make sure you put one of those heating wants in the safe and a humidity gauge monitor. They sell those online or look on the Liberty safe website. You need to have those in your safe - even if it's in the house or the garage.
    I've had a problem with humidity in my safes but decided it was better to add the golden rod dehumidifers to each safe.

Top Bottom