Sugar Land, Tx
    1725289605774.png

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    I assume the safe was really big and filled with especially valuable firearms, and therefore worth the effort. Were they able to track them down based on the backhoe/dump truck?
    Nope , it was On acreage in the cedars, witness saw it turning into gate and assumed it was a contractor doing whatever.

Someone had good intel .
    The dirty sob’s

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My safe has lived in a garage for over 25 years. I used different moisture traps but a couple cups of rice at different levels has been working great. I dump it out for a day here and there to air out and return back in.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    How do you regulate humidity and should I raise the safe off the ground with hockey pucks? I’ve heard it’s not good for it to be flat on the concrete.

<>

What is ‘’hockey puck’’ ?

p.s.

Welcome to TGT & the Republic of Texas from over in the Trans-Sabine!

leVieux

<>

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Should be fine in the garage, however if it can be seen from the street when the door is open you have a serious security risk. Even when just going in and out, the wrong folks might see it......out of sight, out of mind...................you might think of ways to camouflage it...........

Like making it look like a freezer or refrigerator..........

Thieves drive around looking in open garages frequently.....................

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Should be fine in the garage, however if it can be seen from the street when the door is open you have a serious security risk. Even when just going in and out, the wrong folks might see it......out of sight, out of mind...................you might think of ways to camouflage it...........

Like making it look like a freezer or refrigerator..........

Thieves drive around looking in open garages frequently.....................
    I keep an 8 foot ladder with my car fender skirts hanging on a rung up against mine and tested to looky loo thing. Can't see shit

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Bolted, alarm, vidya, insured. Would be gtg
    Yes that would cover it. Kind of pricey for all that though.

I live in an apartment so don't have to worry about a garage. It's on the first floor so no weight consideration. I am real careful about taking stuff in and out though......and, Simply Safe alarm.

I did however, one time, live in a mobile home and had two 550 lb safes in there. Different rooms and over the I beam, so no problem with them. :roflsmile:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I've had mine inside and in the garage over the years, but the last 14 years have been in the garage. No rust or issues at all. I do place a few silica packs here and there just for good measure.

MIne's a 2000'ish Liberty.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Several years ago in my neck of the woods, a gun-safe was stolen from a house .

The thefts used a backhoe and scooped the vault out through the roof, then loaded into a dump truck.
    Somebody knew what was in the safe and when the owners were away. Just too much resource and risk involved in that otherwise...

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    We didn't consider that, and should have. Major fail.
    The repairs - added piers and sistered beams - last year was a chunk; still waiting for the floors to hopefully level back out some, but there's new signs now of problem not resolved.

With the average 80% humidity here in the thicket, not sure outside would be an option.
    MG, as an aside how in the world do you stand average 80% humidity ??!! If it gets above the 50s here I start getting irritable because of breathing difficulty. And once well into the 60s I pass irritable and become impossible to live with. I know everyone has their phobia but mine happens to be breathing.

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    MG, as an aside how in the world do you stand average 80% humidity ??!! If it gets above the 50s here I start getting irritable because of breathing difficulty. And once well into the 60s I pass irritable and become impossible to live with. I know everyone has their phobia but mine happens to be breathing.
    I stay inside, until it drops below 70%. Forays are brief. Heat is not a problem, I've acclimated.

There's several things that would have been done differently, had I realized... starting with locating in the thicket. Second would have been settling for pier & beam construction. Last would have been putting all my eggs in one basket.

Oh well, it is what it is, and life is good. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom