• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I solve the Movie Theater jack-ass problem by having an 80inch TV, a Bose Sound System and Netflix. Will watch Lone Survivor in 3 months when it comes to BlueRay.

Ditto!
    Have not been to a theater in probably 10-12 yrs (probably more)....
    Venture Surplus ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Now of course...since I don't believe gun ownership is a privilege but a human right...I would rather see it where we can carry as we see fit. But until that day comes, until we no longer require licenses as such, proving you're still competent to carry isn't outlandish or dangerous. It's simply showing the governmental bodies who issue your license you're not a danger to others in the carrying of such weapon.
    You believe it's a right, yet you want more regulation than what is already placed on the exercising of it? That does not make sense... If you truly believe it's a right, then you should be championing less regulation not more.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Yea. The way I explained it was confusing. Hence the reason why I said sometimes in my original response. Instances like the OP make me think that re-cert/psych evals aren't a bad idea. But fundamentally you're right, I don't believe that is the right answer and would rather see no governmental intervention at all. I just see some logic on both sides of the coin.

And no...for the other guy not from CA or IL. All Texan all the time.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    While I enjoy being able to carry my firearm on my person, I sometimes think that it should be mandatory for CHL and OCL individuals to re-qualify and take psych exams periodically for the continued right to do so.
    How about mandatory classes in manners for cell phone users?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    How about mandatory classes in manners for cell phone users?

I prefer theaters that are aggressive on this. Unfortunately, manners are out the window nowdays.

Go Alamo Drafthouse! Their opening credits include some variation of "don't use your phone or we'll throw you out.' This one (NSFW) is my favorite. R. Lee Ermey is my second favorite. There's 18 of these in the collection.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Perhaps the 71 Y/O retired cop could use the "Munich" defense.

A few years ago, three old timers sat at a Munich beer garden enjoying their beers and bratwurst. They had done this daily for years, undisturbed. One day, a young fellow sat down at the next table, ordered his beer and food, then promptly began calling people on his "handy."

One of the geezers politely asked the young fellow to take his conversation outside the "Bier Garten." When the young fellow ignored the request and continued to jabber on his phone, one of the geezers smacked him upside the head with a 1 Liter Beer Stein. The young fellow died immediately from the blow to his head.

The German court convicted the geezer of manslaughter. He was sentenced to another 10 years of his daily visit to the Beer Garden and was cautioned not to use violence to solve disputes.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    saw a link on glocktalk the shooter had told mgmt the shootee was using his phone, shootee became enraged and attacked pops.
    pops is in his 70s, dead dude was 43.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The main question to be answered is "What was the victim doing right before he was shot?" Did he threaten bodily harm (terroristic threat)? Did he raise his hand (assault)? Did he push (assault & battery)? Or did he reach for "something" in his pocket while doing any of these things?

Also, with the shooter being in his 70's, any physical assault is possibly fatal. Disparity of force and all....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It appears that texting in the theatre may be a hot button for this defendant. Testimony has been given that he has previously confronted at least one other person in the same situation, including following a woman out of the theatre to the ladies room, apparently in an attempt to intimidate her because she was texting. See the first video sidebar on this page: Bond denied for ex-cop Curtis Reeves who allegedly shot texting dad - CNN.com

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I prefer theaters that are aggressive on this. Unfortunately, manners are out the window nowdays.

Go Alamo Drafthouse! Their opening credits include some variation of "don't use your phone or we'll throw you out.' This one (NSFW) is my favorite. R. Lee Ermey is my second favorite. There's 18 of these in the collection.

Those are great. Drafthouse is the way to go.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    saw a link on glocktalk the shooter had told mgmt the shootee was using his phone, shootee became enraged and attacked pops.
    And the testimony thus far in court seems to be that the attack consisted of shootee throwing a bag of popcorn at pops.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    It's our society now, degenerating. Look at road rage. Hate driving in the city now. The way people stare you down too. It's murderous. The people are becoming as the Canaanites.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's our society now, degenerating. Look at road rage. Hate driving in the city now. The way people stare you down too. It's murderous. The people are becoming as the Canaanites.
    The staredown thing is nothing new. I had a guy try to kill me at a Yes concert, circa 1980, because he (yes, this is actually what he said) didn't like the way I was looking at him. I was wearing a tie (just got off work), he thought that was weird so he was staring at me, I returned the stare, and he went nuts.

So - Crazy people have always been around.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    And the testimony thus far in court seems to be that the attack consisted of shootee throwing a bag of popcorn at pops.

It's very likely this man's only way out is to play the senile/dementia card, get enough doctors to agree, and spend the rest of his life in a mental hospital since he's declaring himself a continuing danger to the public. How sad, especially for someone of his history.

I'd also predict that if it goes to trial, it goes to trial before a judge only, that he waives jury if that's possible in this case. He's much better off with a "letter of the law" decision than 12 emotionally charged folks hearing about the Navy vet killed while unarmed.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    The staredown thing is nothing new. I had a guy try to kill me at a Yes concert, circa 1980, because he (yes, this is actually what he said) didn't like the way I was looking at him. I was wearing a tie (just got off work), he thought that was weird so he was staring at me, I returned the stare, and he went nuts.

So - Crazy people have always been around.

I know there has always been a tough guy stare thing. I'm talking about how all sorts of people, even some women and the elderly, seem to have an impatience and murderous rage, whether in the supermarket, in a plane, movie theater, or on the road. You can't even flip on Low Rider in your old truck and cruise around Dallas without some idiot menacing you and staring you down.

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    It appears that texting in the theatre may be a hot button for this defendant. Testimony has been given that he has previously confronted at least one other person in the same situation, including following a woman out of the theatre to the ladies room, apparently in an attempt to intimidate her because she was texting. See the first video sidebar on this page: Bond denied for ex-cop Curtis Reeves who allegedly shot texting dad - CNN.com

That link restored a little faith that "the system" can exhibit some logical decisions. Thanks for sharing that.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's very likely this man's only way out is to play the senile/dementia card, get enough doctors to agree, and spend the rest of his life in a mental hospital since he's declaring himself a continuing danger to the public. How sad, especially for someone of his history.
    Maybe that was the plan... Perhaps he had run out of retirement monies and said "screw it, I'm jut gonna shoot the next guy that pisses me off so I get free meals and happy pills until I die."

Top Bottom