Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Cel phones.........

Some folks are addicted to them.....

Don't really know all the facts, but it would appear (at this time) the older fellow was not justified in the shooting....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The suspect is 100% responsible for his behavior.

This should serve as a reminder to us all to be courteous to those around us, and use your non violent dispute skills when confronted by another. Never start a confrontation.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Completely ridiculous, and during the freaking previews non the less!!! That fella and his wife could've just moved to different seats or hassled the manager until he addressed the issue.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is totally wrong. A death sentence should be reserved for people who text during movies, not during the trailers.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    They headlined this like it was a spree shooting that the "Heroes" stopped. Then they imply that the suspect shot the guy for texting. Then you find out that the 71 yo suspect was complaining to and arguing with the texter and it got violent. For all we know tried to beat the old guy down for complaining. I'll reserve judgement

TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    While I enjoy being able to carry my firearm on my person, I sometimes think that it should be mandatory for CHL and OCL individuals to re-qualify and take psych exams periodically for the continued right to do so. This is an example as to why.

There was no threat to the old man that justified the shooting, especially given the fact that he created and then escalated the situation with his firearm on his person. When a rabid old dog becomes a public danger, it's time to put it down.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I sometimes think that it should be mandatory for CHL and OCL individuals to re-qualify and take psych exams periodically for the continued right to do so.

Up until September that was the case but they've since done away with CHL holders needing to re-qual and rightfully so. It's one step closer to doing away with the need for a ridiculous license to exercise a right.

On topic I believe there's more to this story but I agree it seems the suspect started the initial confrontation and exercised some really poor judgement.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    They headlined this like it was a spree shooting that the "Heroes" stopped. Then they imply that the suspect shot the guy for texting. Then you find out that the 71 yo suspect was complaining to and arguing with the texter and it got violent. For all we know tried to beat the old guy down for complaining. I'll reserve judgement

On topic I believe there's more to this story but I agree it seems the suspect started the initial confrontation and exercised some really poor judgement.

As a CHL holder, the suspect is held to a different standard.
    The purpose of carrying a weapon is to protect against aggression ... it's a defensive tool.

Sure we don;t have all the facts, but the scenario that most likely happened was a request to stop texting, a F-You response, another F-Bomb lobbed back, tensions grew till a shove or punch was thrown then the gun was pulled.

Having the means to shoot and kill, for me at least, isn't an excuse to tell folks what to do even when what they are doing is wrong or annoying.
    That's not defensive.

In the scenario I outlined above, sure the shooter was defending himself. But the shooter was also the one that started the incident by saying stop texting and not the rude, dead guy.

Generating a scenario in which one has to use deadly force is not the purpose of carrying.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Id support a movie theater that uses less than lethal force to keep people off their damn phones during a movie. lol

Shooting them outright is a little much.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    While I enjoy being able to carry my firearm on my person, I sometimes think that it should be mandatory for CHL and OCL individuals to re-qualify and take psych exams periodically for the continued right to do so. This is an example as to why.

There was no threat to the old man that justified the shooting,
    How do you know that? I would agree that nothing we have read in the media reports would indicate that, but you write as though it is fact.

how do you know the younger guy didn't attack the man?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Up until September that was the case but they've since done away with CHL holders needing to re-qual and rightfully so. It's one step closer to doing away with the need for a ridiculous license to exercise a right.
    Yeah, there was no psych exam required ;)

Based on what I have read, either of the two could have prevented this.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    As a CHL holder, the suspect is held to a different standard.
    The purpose of carrying a weapon is to protect against aggression ... it's a defensive tool.

Sure we don;t have all the facts, but the scenario that most likely happened was a request to stop texting, a F-You response, another F-Bomb lobbed back, tensions grew till a shove or punch was thrown then the gun was pulled.

Having the means to shoot and kill, for me at least, isn't an excuse to tell folks what to do even when what they are doing is wrong or annoying.
    That's not defensive.

In the scenario I outlined above, sure the shooter was defending himself. But the shooter was also the one that started the incident by saying stop texting and not the rude, dead guy.

Generating a scenario in which one has to use deadly force is not the purpose of carrying.

I agree 100%. In fact we teach that in CHL class during non violent dispute resolution. When carrying a gun, you put your ego away. Call me an asshole, OK. Flip me off, my apologies.

Top Bottom