• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I like pie.
    Who doesn't?
    Question? Someone mentioned "grips" regarding modifications, that seems like a bit of a stretch, as well as "sights" How could those modifications in any way be dangerous?
    That may have been me. They're just the most common modifications people do. I agree, it's quite a stretch to blame them for anything illegal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Utah

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    I guess you'd be in trouble if you had grips made from parts from an endangered animal. ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning

Darn, I guess I'll have to throw out these ivory grips. 
    You can throw them out but that would be a waste. I hope you like them, though, because you can (most likely) never sell them. You can, of course, give them away. PM me for an address to mail them. :)

Seriously, the new rules on ivory are pretty ridiculous: https://www.federalregister.gov/art...m_medium=email&utm_source=federalregister.gov

Any normal person (i.e., someone who wasn't paranoid a long time ago) who invested in ivory art objects just saw the value of their investment drop to zero.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    OT Warning

You can throw them out but that would be a waste. I hope you like them, though, because you can (most likely) never sell them. You can, of course, give them away. PM me for an address to mail them. :)

Seriously, the new rules on ivory are pretty ridiculous: https://www.federalregister.gov/art...m_medium=email&utm_source=federalregister.gov

Any normal person (i.e., someone who wasn't paranoid a long time ago) who invested in ivory art objects just saw the value of their investment drop to zero.

I couldn't find out how old it has to be to be considered antique, or were they talking about taken from an antique elephant?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Still way OT warning

I couldn't find out how old it has to be to be considered antique, or were they talking about taken from an antique elephant?
    Antique ivory is over 100 years old. The "antique" exception only comes into play in interstate commerce and it's pretty useless. To prove that your ivory is antique, which you must do to make an interstate sale, you actually have to be able to document which port it came through when it entered the country, for example. How many people can do that?

So let me simplify. There are too many different circumstances to cover them all, so I'll just abbreviate the rules for sales within the state. The rules become more difficult when you cross state lines and insanely difficult when you cross national borders.

To sell African elephant ivory in-state, the ivory must be either:

• lawfully imported prior to the date the African elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (January 18, 1990), or
    • imported under a CITES pre-Convention certificate.
    Important: for any sale to occur, the seller must demonstrate that one of those two conditions has been met. That's the big "gotcha".

The bottom line is that if you have a piece of ivory you want to sell, you must have paperwork that documents it was legally imported. Basically, for the really old stuff, if you don't have a bill of sale showing it was sold in the U.S. prior to 1976, you're stuck with it. Even that may not be good enough. You really need exhaustive paperwork from the original importer to be on the safe side. Absent at least that bill of sale (for pre-76) or provably (with paperwork) meeting one of the two bulleted conditions, you can will it to your heirs or give it as a gift but you can never sell it.

Addendum 1: There is a complex exception to these rules for under-200-gram pieces that are a minority part of a larger object and don't really impact the value. That exception will almost never come into play. There are luthiers out there making money these days by removing ornamental pieces of ivory from antique guitars because it's illegal to sell them with the ivory still attached.

Addendum 2: All this applies to African elephant ivory only. Ivory from other species is still kosher. If you buy ivory, you'd better be able to tell the difference between African elephant ivory and walrus ivory; if you can't, you may find yourself committing a crime.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If I ever get the "urge" for ivory grips, I think I'll go with "imitation" ivory and not have to carry around documents. ;)

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    But back on topic, I don't even carry a gun. That way I have zero risk of charges being brought against me if I ever had to use it to save my life.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Funny, I bought a pair of authentic ivory grips from the gunshow a few months ago.
    Ivory from what animal? If it was from an African elephant and you didn't get a load of paperwork along with it, the seller committed a crime.

Most "authentic ivory grips" are anything but, BTW. Have you done a pin test on them yet?

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Yeah I did the pin test when I got home. They are real. I guess I am a criminal. Also I am speeding right now.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Texas has no statewide law banning the use of cell phones while driving, nor does the city of Arlen...

No statewide law, but there's about 40 or so cities that do have bans, not to mention an officer could probably get you for something if they really wanted too.

As for Arlen, I heard they have the best propane and propane accessory store in Texas. :p

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom