• ...and so much more!
  • BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Hey, guys.

I'm a newly-minted concealed handgun license holder; I'm just getting used to carrying. I'm a minister of a church and developing our campus security plan. We do have a few members who carry and I was encouraged by the eldership to get my license.

I've selected a Ruger American Compact in 9mm as my EDC. It seems a tad heavy, but I'm pretty sure that's because I have literally never carried a firearm with me on a daily basis. I have an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB holster on the way (thank you, UPS...) and I was encouraged to buy a real gun belt, so I chose the Relentless Tactical in both brown and black so my gun will stand out less on Sundays. Hopefully.

I would appreciate any and all advice on how to safely and responsibly operate as a concealed handgun owner. I had a very good CHL instructor who is a retired DPS trooper. He gave me a lot of great instruction, but I'd like to gain access to 'continuing education', so any resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated. I have selected USCCA as my insurance carrier and I'm paid up for the year, but if anyone knows of better deals, then send them my way. What I like about USCCA is that they offer classes throughout the year.

Again, thank you for all the wealth of information I've gained thus far on this site and I look forward to talking to you all.

Welcome! I’m happy to hear you’re taking steps to protect your congregation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2019
    Lake Whitney, Texas
    Hey, guys.

I'm a newly-minted concealed handgun license holder; I'm just getting used to carrying. I'm a minister of a church and developing our campus security plan. We do have a few members who carry and I was encouraged by the eldership to get my license.

I've selected a Ruger American Compact in 9mm as my EDC. It seems a tad heavy, but I'm pretty sure that's because I have literally never carried a firearm with me on a daily basis. I have an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB holster on the way (thank you, UPS...) and I was encouraged to buy a real gun belt, so I chose the Relentless Tactical in both brown and black so my gun will stand out less on Sundays. Hopefully.

I would appreciate any and all advice on how to safely and responsibly operate as a concealed handgun owner. I had a very good CHL instructor who is a retired DPS trooper. He gave me a lot of great instruction, but I'd like to gain access to 'continuing education', so any resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated. I have selected USCCA as my insurance carrier and I'm paid up for the year, but if anyone knows of better deals, then send them my way. What I like about USCCA is that they offer classes throughout the year.

Again, thank you for all the wealth of information I've gained thus far on this site and I look forward to talking to you all.

I don't usually reply to forums, but I found yours doing other searches and I'm glad you're taking steps to stand your ground in your church and protect those in your congregation. Especially since you are local to me. I grew up on Lake Whitney and after the military I have come back to settle down in the area.

I am an LTC (CHL) instructor and do most of my classes in Laguna Park (near the dam). I also do a NRA Basic Pistol class, and a non NRA Handgun 101 class. Everything from how to clean and maintain your firearm, to shooting. I'm happy to work with you and/or your congregation if you would like.

I have my insurance through Texas Law Shield, they do classes all over Texas as well like USCCA. I don't believe you have to be a member to take their classes either. Most of them are done in places like Bass Pro shop, etc.

Everything I'm about to say is my opinion, take it or leave it just food for thought to help you out.

Couple things to think about.... If you're wearing your suit coat on Sundays, you my want a concealed shoulder holster vs. a open carry gun belt. They are easy to access, yet still concealed for the most part. There are mixed feelings/opinions about open carry. After being int he military, I am more of the "don't make yourself a target" mind set. Carrying open only keeps the honest people honest (again my opinion).
    Carrying concealed will also help make new comers feel more comfortable in your church if they don't feel comfortable around guns. If they become regulars, you can explain who has the firearms, and that its for protection only, etc.

I would also suggest a "color of the day" type approach to who is carrying in the church. If there are 5 of you, then have a designated lapel pin. This way, everyone of your regular attendees knows that when someone has that pin on, they are carrying concealed and there to protect them if the worse case scenario does happen.

I might also recommend a code word, that everyone knows and they know what to do when that is said. I have a code word for my family so they know to get down/take cover in case I see something wrong. This might help to ensure people do what you expect without causing panic.

Oh, and jumping off the cliffs is only dangerous if you don't know where to go. I can help you with that too. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2019
    Lake Whitney, Texas
    Man, this forum is a lot more friendly than some of the other ones. Thanks, guys.

Stick Shift,
    I thought of something else to keep in mind... When I am on the range with a class, or even in the classroom for that matter, I ALWAYS have a specific person designated to call 911 and they know what to tell the operator. I then have a back up person to call 911 in case that first person is the one that is hurt and can't make the call. I would suggest having designated people in the church to do the same if there is an "active shooter" situation. Heck, for any emergency situation for that matter.

Hope that helps.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't usually reply to forums, but I found yours doing other searches and I'm glad you're taking steps to stand your ground in your church and protect those in your congregation. Especially since you are local to me. I grew up on Lake Whitney and after the military I have come back to settle down in the area.

I am an LTC (CHL) instructor and do most of my classes in Laguna Park (near the dam). I also do a NRA Basic Pistol class, and a non NRA Handgun 101 class. Everything from how to clean and maintain your firearm, to shooting. I'm happy to work with you and/or your congregation if you would like.

I have my insurance through Texas Law Shield, they do classes all over Texas as well like USCCA. I don't believe you have to be a member to take their classes either. Most of them are done in places like Bass Pro shop, etc.

Everything I'm about to say is my opinion, take it or leave it just food for thought to help you out.

Couple things to think about.... If you're wearing your suit coat on Sundays, you my want a concealed shoulder holster vs. a open carry gun belt. They are easy to access, yet still concealed for the most part. There are mixed feelings/opinions about open carry. After being int he military, I am more of the "don't make yourself a target" mind set. Carrying open only keeps the honest people honest (again my opinion).
    Carrying concealed will also help make new comers feel more comfortable in your church if they don't feel comfortable around guns. If they become regulars, you can explain who has the firearms, and that its for protection only, etc.

I would also suggest a "color of the day" type approach to who is carrying in the church. If there are 5 of you, then have a designated lapel pin. This way, everyone of your regular attendees knows that when someone has that pin on, they are carrying concealed and there to protect them if the worse case scenario does happen.

I might also recommend a code word, that everyone knows and they know what to do when that is said. I have a code word for my family so they know to get down/take cover in case I see something wrong. This might help to ensure people do what you expect without causing panic.

Oh, and jumping off the cliffs is only dangerous if you don't know where to go. I can help you with that too. :)

Welcome to the Forum, smoke wagon shooter!

Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    Stick Shift,
    I thought of something else to keep in mind... When I am on the range with a class, or even in the classroom for that matter, I ALWAYS have a specific person designated to call 911 and they know what to tell the operator. I then have a back up person to call 911 in case that first person is the one that is hurt and can't make the call. I would suggest having designated people in the church to do the same if there is an "active shooter" situation. Heck, for any emergency situation for that matter.

Hope that helps.

I appreciate this. I presume you are an LTC instructor?

Top Bottom