• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    Hey, guys.

I'm a newly-minted concealed handgun license holder; I'm just getting used to carrying. I'm a minister of a church and developing our campus security plan. We do have a few members who carry and I was encouraged by the eldership to get my license.

I've selected a Ruger American Compact in 9mm as my EDC. It seems a tad heavy, but I'm pretty sure that's because I have literally never carried a firearm with me on a daily basis. I have an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB holster on the way (thank you, UPS...) and I was encouraged to buy a real gun belt, so I chose the Relentless Tactical in both brown and black so my gun will stand out less on Sundays. Hopefully.

I would appreciate any and all advice on how to safely and responsibly operate as a concealed handgun owner. I had a very good CHL instructor who is a retired DPS trooper. He gave me a lot of great instruction, but I'd like to gain access to 'continuing education', so any resources you can point me to would be greatly appreciated. I have selected USCCA as my insurance carrier and I'm paid up for the year, but if anyone knows of better deals, then send them my way. What I like about USCCA is that they offer classes throughout the year.

Again, thank you for all the wealth of information I've gained thus far on this site and I look forward to talking to you all.
    Target Sports

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    orig.gif

Attachments

• orig.gif
      orig.gif
      5.6 KB · Views: 250

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Howdy

Which Church are you affiliated with? Seeing as how I'm fairly local, I might could stop by and drop off my two cents.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Welcome aboard. Lake Whitney is my old stomping grounds. Spent many an afternoon jumping off the cliffs near the dam.

Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    Which Church are you affiliated with? Seeing as how I'm fairly local, I might could stop by and drop off my two cents.

I appreciate that. I may take you up on that, but for now, I'm just soaking up knowledge. There's a lot of people in here who know a whole lot more than I do and I'm playing catch-up.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Welcome to the forum SS!

Sounds like you were given good advice and are off to a good start, better than most folks that’s for sure.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I appreciate that. I may take you up on that, but for now, I'm just soaking up knowledge. There's a lot of people in here who know a whole lot more than I do and I'm playing catch-up.

Fair 'nuff. Just holler at me if you want to go shooting or whatever. I can pop off a few in my backyard occasionally.

Just be warned, guns are a lot like Texas Hold 'em, You can learn the basics in a day, but, it'll take a lifetime to master.

Stick_Shift

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Lake Whitney
    Sounds like you were given good advice and are off to a good start, better than most folks that’s for sure

I appreciate the kind words. But, honestly, I know nothing and I am aware I know nothing. The clean record only got me the license. What concerns me is that I have no formal weapons training. I'm just a minister.

I grew up hunting and fishing, so I know how to operate a firearm. But, you know what they say about knowing how to do something and knowing how to do something when seconds count.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    I appreciate the kind words. But, honestly, I know nothing and I am aware I know nothing. The clean record only got me the license. What concerns me is that I have no formal weapons training. I'm just a minister.

I grew up hunting and fishing, so I know how to operate a firearm. But, you know what they say about knowing how to do something and knowing how to do something when seconds count.

Hopefully someone you trust can help you as well as recommend quality training.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen

Welcome.
    Sometimes realizing what you don't know is more important than what you do know.
    You picked a good place with good folks.
    Come to our fall Family Reunion in October. There are several that would be happy to help you out.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Welcome from another local.

Formal training is good, great even. But just becoming familiar with the firearm and practicing will take you a long way.

Getting to a range where you can practice drawing from a holster will help a lot. Then it’s a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Just having the basic fundamentals figured out will put you ahead of 95% of the people you meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Howdy & welcome padre!

I would recommend stopping off at Academy & picking up some 9mm snap caps (dummy rounds). On your down time you can use them to do dry fire exercises. You will get really familiar with your firearm by using snap caps. It also helps with break in without going to the range.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom