• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    a greenhouse and a hothouse
    green house keeps bugs away, hot house is for cool climates.
    Peas and lettuce (gets thick and bitter) don't do well in hot texas climate .
    Target Sports

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    We didn't do a garden this year because of the Texas Ice Age. I just didn't feel like doing one.

My idea for next year is doing a large container gardening. My brother buys his cattle protein feed in about 15 gallon tubs. I'm going to use a few of them, along with some five gallon buckets for planting as well.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    We didn't do a garden this year because of the Texas Ice Age. I just didn't feel like doing one.

My idea for next year is doing a large container gardening. My brother buys his cattle protein feed in about 15 gallon tubs. I'm going to use a few of them, along with some five gallon buckets for planting as well.
    50 pound feed sacks are great for that too. I just dug up some peppers that were still producing out of a bed I need to turn and put them in old feed sacks. They seem to be doing okay.

Or even hay bales. I've seen people growing tomatoes in hay bales. I guess if you cut a square bale in half and stick each half in a feed sack you'd have the best of both worlds. You'd probably need to be diligent about adding aged compost or tea though.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    50 pound feed sacks are great for that too. I just dug up some peppers that were still producing out of a bed I need to turn and put them in old feed sacks. They seem to be doing okay.

Or even hay bales. I've seen people growing tomatoes in hay bales. I guess if you cut a square bale in half and stick each half in a feed sack you'd have the best of both worlds. You'd probably need to be diligent about adding aged compost or tea though.
    Cloth or plastic feed sacks?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    $50 k spent on one some years back for the wife. Fancy. Gas heater, water, all the fancy thermostatically control stuff, supposed to be hail proof. Not so. After tearing it down after a major storm now have a nice outdoor kitchen with large gas grill. Live and learn.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

Then there are sack gardens! I have seen them both hanging or leaning next to something.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Ideally I would like a hydroponic garden that recycles chicken shit into tanks of catfish that feeds the plants!

With the lake across the street I figure the water table is pretty shallow so a well would be easy enough.

The new neighbors next to me are talking big garden too! When I mention raising birds they agreed! They looked real surprised when I said converting the one car garage to a coop!
    Use the chicken manure to fertilize your soil and feed the fish commercial food (or raise red wiggler worms in a compost pile.

I have two Aquaponic tanks and gray w beds. I use Koi but catfish would work well. You don’t want to use manure in your tank as it would build up and cause issues.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I think the former owner had fruit trees they where going to plant, but took them with when they left.

I wonder if date palms would produce fruit in a greenhouse during the summer? There has to be somethings that could handle summers?
    You can use greenhouses in summer but you need shade and lots of ventilation. A couple layers or Shade cloth over the roof would help as long as you have good air flow.

Nightshade veggies (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants) would do well in those conditions. Cucumbers too I’ll bet.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    a greenhouse and a hothouse
    green house keeps bugs away, hot house is for cool climates.
    Peas and lettuce (gets thick and bitter) don't do well in hot texas climate .
    They will grow well in the fall and winter in a greenhouse. I grow all my greens in the winter. Collards, spinach, kale, and spinach. In winter dirt beds, onions, garlic, beets, and carrots grow well too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    They work well:

The sack gardens I seen were in Africa and just a basic burlap bad that was filled with some drainage rock & a grow median. The sides had cuts were the plants grew from.
    iu.jpeg

Top Bottom