• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I'm thinking about a greenhouse & garden next year. Anyone have one? I want to hear the pros & cons. I realize summer it might be empty!
    Target Sports

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    We were thinking about a greenhouse a few years ago but were concerned about the intense heat of July and August here on the coast, and the high winds during our tropical storms and hurricanes. What we decided to use instead are grow boxes. We've had these for at least 5 years and they still are just as durable as when we got them. I built a stand for them 3 years ago to put them up at chest height so I don't have to bend over to water or harvest. They've worked quite well. We get more tomatoes and Japanese eggplant than all of our neighbors and us combined can eat. And we're having some more eggplant tonight for dinner. Here's link:

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I forgot to add that I had a dozen of them sent to my sister who lives in north Texas. She had a bumper crop of everything the first year. Since she moved last year she hasn't had opportunity to use but a couple of them. They're easy for her to use and she's 82 years old.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ideally I would like a hydroponic garden that recycles chicken shit into tanks of catfish that feeds the plants!

With the lake across the street I figure the water table is pretty shallow so a well would be easy enough.

The new neighbors next to me are talking big garden too! When I mention raising birds they agreed! They looked real surprised when I said converting the one car garage to a coop!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Not very flat. I’d want to stay inside the fence for the roaming deer. I know they can jump it, but hoping the dog keeps them out!!
    I was gonna say anytime you have natural raised areas they make good planting locations for trees. Could plant ya some fruit trees. The raised spots just help with root rot. Then order ya some mulch and slow release water bags.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Ideally I would like a hydroponic garden that recycles chicken shit into tanks of catfish that feeds the plants!

With the lake across the street I figure the water table is pretty shallow so a well would be easy enough.

The new neighbors next to me are talking big garden too! When I mention raising birds they agreed! They looked real surprised when I said converting the one car garage to a coop!
    Now you're talking. I've heard you can even grow lettuce if you have a swamp cooler and misting.

But for regular use, a greenhouse in Texas will cook your plants in the summer even with ventilation and won't get enough sun to keep them warm when it's cold in the winter.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I was gonna say anytime you have natural raised areas they make good planting locations for trees. Could plant ya some fruit trees. The raised spots just help with root rot. Then order ya some mulch and slow release water bags.
    I think the former owner had fruit trees they where going to plant, but took them with when they left.

I wonder if date palms would produce fruit in a greenhouse during the summer? There has to be somethings that could handle summers?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Now you're talking. I've heard you can even grow lettuce if you have a swamp cooler and misting.

But for regular use, a greenhouse in Texas will cook your plants in the summer even with ventilation and won't get enough sun to keep them warm when it's cold in the winter.
    I watched a pretty long video of a huge hydroponic lettuce grower in Houston! He supplies restaurants!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I recommend raised beds for vegetables. The best I’ve found are made in TX near Austin:

www.metalgardenbeds.com

If you set up a greenhouse, put a large water tank in it like a 150 gallon Rubbermaid. Keep it filled and it will act as a heat sink. A compost pile in a corner will also generate heat.

I’ve worked at a few locations where homeowners use raised beds and it looked like the way to go for small to medium sized gardens.

Large gardens too I guess, but then you start running in to some high costs for setup and even our small gardens have put out more food than we could eat without getting in to preserving/canning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I think the former owner had fruit trees they where going to plant, but took them with when they left.

I wonder if date palms would produce fruit in a greenhouse during the summer? There has to be somethings that could handle summers?
    Lots of fruit or nut trees that do well in summer once established.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Here's a question. Is there a difference between a greenhouse and a hothouse, or are they the same, just a different name?

Top Bottom