Target Sports

Got the itch for a new motorcycle. Help me decide.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here's some info on the USMC Diesel version of the KLR650.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html?_r=0

The bikes are great and I enjoyed both of mine a lot. Of the two bikes: KLR250 and KLR650, I liked the 650 best. It has plenty of power but it's heavy and tall. I'm 6'1" and it was still tall for me. Once you get aboard, the shocks come down some but the initial boarding is a stretch!

The plan for our New Mexico trip was to stay in a tent at Belen NM the take the KLR to see the cliff dwellings in the area. Roads to those places are terrible. My lady friend wussed out so I hopped on the KLR and rode in back to Baytown......about 1100 miles. The bike never missed a beat. It was 105 degrees and I ran it HARD & FAST all the way home!

Please let us know what you decide!

Flash

Yeah, I think I'm going to try finding a KLR. Have to see if my boss can stumble across one at an auction or something. My old bike was kind of top heavy and tall, so I'm pretty used to that.

I've seen the diesel KLRs, last I checked they had a model planned for the civilian market, at something like 110 MPG. But they were expensive. Still would love to have one. 110 MPG. Sheesh.

I camp in New Mexico in an area known for cliff dwellings. They're something like 2000+ years old. Crazy how well-preserved they are.

Apirilla

Dorsoduro750ABS-USrosso_overview_cropped_406x375.jpg

What, I'm made of money all of a sudden?

Agreed, but my gut would keep me to far upright. Not sure about the OP though. ;)

I'm too old to look like a pretzel after riding anymore anyway.

I don't have too much of a gut, but I can't handle being all kinked up. Bad knees, bad back. Got to have a little comfort...

My buddy Blake just sold his Ape Motard. They're great until you wheelie. Then the neck dumps fuel into your crotch.

Pff, like I've never had fuel on my crotch before.
    Capitol Armory ad

beaner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Plano
    What, I'm made of money all of a sudden?

I could have said BMW. ;)

But it is pricier than a lot, but for Italian it isn't nearly maintenance intensive as a Ducati.

I don't have too much of a gut, but I can't handle being all kinked up. Bad knees, bad back. Got to have a little comfort...

I hear ya, I have all of the above as well. Nothing wrong with wanting to be comfy on a ride.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Does anybody have any time on a YZF-600R? Are they comfortable? My only sport bike experience was a 2005 Ninja ZX-6, and that thing was uncomfortable as hell. Anything over about 20 minutes, I needed ice for my crotch. It's like the bike was designed for people who were under 5' tall and had no testicles (did I mention the pain!?). It's sad when you're 5'10" and something is designed for people considerably shorter than you are... I've sat on the YZF a couple of times, and the seating position seems a little more relaxed and upright than I remember the Kaw, with pegs that are a bit more reasonable reach for a normal person, but I can't exactly sit on it for an hour and see how it feels. I will say, though that the Kaw was unbelievably fast. I've lost count of 500 HP cars I've driven (even driven a 500+ cubic inch car), and the only one that impressed me with raw acceleration like that little Kaw did was a newer Porsche Turbo.

I have the competitor to the YZF600R, an 04 ZZR600. A friend had the YZF600R and she liked it and logged a lot of miles on it. I'd check for frame and fork damage if it has been down. Plastics can be found on fleabay but they are pricey. They make a nice comfortable sport bike. In capable hands, they can hang with the R6 crowd in twisties. The KLR is well, a KLR and the two don't even compare. I tried a dual sport and found out I am a street bike kinda rider.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have the competitor to the YZF600R, an 04 ZZR600. A friend had the YZF600R and she liked it and logged a lot of miles on it. I'd check for frame and fork damage if it has been down. Plastics can be found on fleabay but they are pricey. They make a nice comfortable sport bike. In capable hands, they can hang with the R6 crowd in twisties. The KLR is well, a KLR and the two don't even compare. I tried a dual sport and found out I am a street bike kinda rider.

Yeah, I passed on the YZF. I just don't find sport bikes comfortable, and would like something that I could realistically ride to Houston and even points beyond. That ain't happening on any kind of sport bike.

There also aren't any twisties to speak of around here, and I'm not all that excited about pushing a bike hard through them anyway.

Now, put me behind the wheel... that's another story.

technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Never buy a motorcycle built by a t-shirt company. And if you do wind up with one, plan to do your own wrenching.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Never buy a motorcycle built by a t-shirt company. And if you do wind up with one, plan to do your own wrenching.

LOL, not really into that brand anyhow.

Plan to do my own wrenching no matter what. I do it to cars that are about a thousand times more complicated than a bike.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    I like the adventure bikes for their upright riding position, lack of plastic bodywork and pack mule carrying capacity. Dl650's are the low end of the price range all the way up to r1200gs's. Yamaha Tenere can be found in the middle of the price range and seem to be developing a large following. Sport Touring is my next category of choice. FJR's, ST1300's and RT's are nice but I saw a Triumph Trophy this weekend......

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I've yet to sit on a motorcycle that I fit on. Lol

I feel for the dude doin wheelies I've had chem burns on my sack from gas not fun LOL.

Last edited:

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe try FZ6. Upright seating easy mile munched and rather tame if you don't spin the rpm's up. Easy to throw soft luggage on and you can find good deals on them.

A slight lean forward is actually pretty comfy superslabbing it.

Mega scooter? Don't knock them if you haven't tried it and I just happen to have one washed and waxed and ready to go.....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like the adventure bikes for their upright riding position, lack of plastic bodywork and pack mule carrying capacity. Dl650's are the low end of the price range all the way up to r1200gs's. Yamaha Tenere can be found in the middle of the price range and seem to be developing a large following. Sport Touring is my next category of choice. FJR's, ST1300's and RT's are nice but I saw a Triumph Trophy this weekend......

Hmm, I didn't know the V-Strom was the low end of the price scale. Always liked them. The KLR seems like it would be better off-road, but that V-Strom looks better for freeway use. Thanks!

Lots of people ride them like that....you've seen how giant I am so for me no, but you're way smaller than me.

An hour? Yeah, I believe that. But I'm talking 3-4 hour (each way) rides at some point. At least. And I still want something smallish and at least somewhat tossable for daily commute.

Maybe try FZ6. Upright seating easy mile munched and rather tame if you don't spin the rpm's up. Easy to throw soft luggage on and you can find good deals on them.

A slight lean forward is actually pretty comfy superslabbing it.

Mega scooter? Don't knock them if you haven't tried it and I just happen to have one washed and waxed and ready to go.....

Looks like a nice bike. I just am not a huge fan of forward lean. I've got a bad back and longish legs for my height...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh heck, just buy my K1200RS. You'll love it and never look back.

Hahaha, yeah I probably would. But I can't afford it, especially since the Grand Am ate a rod bearing and I had to buy a replacement.

The only way I'll ever own a BMW is if it's a bike. Their cars suck, but their bikes are sooooo good.

Top Bottom