Guns International

Got the itch for a new motorcycle. Help me decide.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Trying to decide what I want to do about it. Budget's kind of tight, so it'll be a used bike. I've had the bug to get a dual sport like a KLR-600 for a while now, but there's this YZF at work that I can get a killer deal on. It's a bike that we have at work on consignment, it's been down and is missing the lowest fairings so it looks like a semi-naked bike and I kind of like it that way. Got a couple little scrapes on the muffler still, but I don't care. Price would be quite a bit lower than KBB and NADA are telling me (almost half).

Does anybody have any time on a YZF-600R? Are they comfortable? My only sport bike experience was a 2005 Ninja ZX-6, and that thing was uncomfortable as hell. Anything over about 20 minutes, I needed ice for my crotch. It's like the bike was designed for people who were under 5' tall and had no testicles (did I mention the pain!?). It's sad when you're 5'10" and something is designed for people considerably shorter than you are... I've sat on the YZF a couple of times, and the seating position seems a little more relaxed and upright than I remember the Kaw, with pegs that are a bit more reasonable reach for a normal person, but I can't exactly sit on it for an hour and see how it feels. I will say, though that the Kaw was unbelievably fast. I've lost count of 500 HP cars I've driven (even driven a 500+ cubic inch car), and the only one that impressed me with raw acceleration like that little Kaw did was a newer Porsche Turbo.

The other option I want to look at is a dual sport of some kind. I'm not sure why, but I've wanted one for a while, and wouldn't mind finding a place to ride one in the dirt, because it looks fun. I realize they'll be slower, but with my driving habits (I'm not speeding, I'm qualifying!) a slower bike might make more sense.

Right now it just looks like the pluses to the Yamaha are very big - it's right in front of my face every day, and I'm pretty sure I could set up a payment plan for it. Should I jump on it, or is that the itch talking?
    DK Firearms

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Right now it just looks like the pluses to the Yamaha are very big - it's right in front of my face every day, and I'm pretty sure I could set up a payment plan for it. Should I jump on it, or is that the itch talking?
    Sometimes you just have to scratch it. Since you're going to confirm it's mechanically sound and at 1/2 off for what sounds like relatively minor cosmetic damage, it sounds like a helluva deal.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had 30 MC's over 50 years of riding and even owned the KLR650 and KLR250 dual sport bikes. I rode the KLR 650 from Albuquerque NM back to east Houston. I like those bikes very much! The KLR250 is too small for a big rider like me but I still rode it 21K miles!

KLR650
    cost effective- even inexpensive
    Bomb proof (USMC uses them with Diesel heads for combat). The bike is built like a tank!
    fast...that's one BIG thumper!
    I put Carlisle road tires on mine and it gave a great ride.
    Sand will not bog that baby down. Never tried mud.
    40-50 MPG.
    On my NM trip, I kept the indicator at 85-95 MPH.
    Water cooling keeps it cool and quiet.
    5 speed on the 650 and 6 speed on the 250. Gearboxes are stout.
    Dual overhead cam 4 valve heads.
    Insurance is dirt cheap.

Negative....
    Huge tank (6+ gallons) makes it top heavy.
    This is a TALL bike and not for vertically challenged folks!
    Vibration from a coffee can sized piston.
    Valve adjustment is done with replacement shims. It's slow and tedious to do.
    Pipe is very restrictive. If you remove it, you must rejet.

Stay away from crotch rockets. They are a B to ride and insurance is awful!

How about another option? I got my first Harley out of the 30 bikes. I like it the best! I got a 06 XL1200C Sportster. Performance is great and vibration in the EVO rubber mounted engine is minimal. If that 1200 won't thrill you in a 550 pound bike, you have a serious problem!

It weighs 550 and is light, nimble and fast. Costs a a bit more than the KLR but it was well worth it for me.

Buy a used one. Harley owners seldom beat their bikes up. Mine had exactly 100 miles on it and it was show room new. It had never had a wrench on it! The guy I bought it from said he knew he had made a mistake after riding it 2 miles. It scared him to death.

I pay $225 per year for full coverage insurance with many extras.

That's my 2 cents.

Flash

Last edited:

FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Sage,

I've been on a couple sportbikes. Getting older and now into nakeds. Got my wife a 2009 Suzuki Gladius. Hard to come by, but the low end torque is amazing! It's an upright ergonomics. Easy to ride. Plenty of speed to get into trouble. It's a 650 v-twin. Loved it for riding home in traffic! If you get the opportunity to find one and check it out, you should.

Previous bikes for me:
    2003 Suzuki gsxr 600 (put 30,000 miles and sold it)
    2008 Ducati 848 (something like 8,500 miles and sold it)

I do miss my sportbikes... :-(

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've had 30 MC's over 50 years of riding and even owned the KLR650 and KLR250 dual sport bikes. I rode the KLR 650 from Albuquerque NM back to east Houston. I like those bikes very much! The KLR250 is too small for a big rider like me but I still rode it 21K miles!

KLR650
    cost effective- even inexpensive
    Bomb proof (USMC uses them with Diesel heads for combat). The bike is built like a tank!
    fast...that's one BIG thumper!
    I put Carlisle road tires on mine and it gave a great ride.
    Sand will not bog that baby down. Never tried mud.
    40-50 MPG.
    On my NM trip, I kept the indicator at 85-95 MPH.
    Water cooling keeps it cool and quiet.
    5 speed on the 650 and 6 speed on the 250. Gearboxes are stout.
    Dual overhead cam 4 valve heads.
    Insurance is dirt cheap.

Negative....
    Huge tank (6+ gallons) makes it top heavy.
    This is a TALL bike and not for vertically challenged folks!
    Vibration from a coffee can sized piston.
    Valve adjustment is done with replacement shims. It's slow and tedious to do.
    Pipe is very restrictive. If you remove it, you must rejet.

Stay away from crotch rockets. They are a B to ride and insurance is awful!

How about another option? I got my first Harley out of the 30 bikes. I like it the best! I got a 06 XL1200C Sportster. Performance is great and vibration in the EVO rubber mounted engine is minimal. If that 1200 won't thrill you in a 550 pound bike, you have a serious problem!

It weighs 550 and is light, nimble and fast. Costs a a bit more than the KLR but it was well worth it for me.

Buy a used one. Harley owners seldom beat their bikes up. Mine had exactly 100 miles on it and it was show room new. It had never had a wrench on it! The guy I bought it from said he knew he had made a mistake after riding it 2 miles. It scared him to death.

I pay $225 per year for full coverage insurance with many extras.

That's my 2 cents.

Flash

Thanks You're making me lean more toward a KLR. Cruisers aren't for me, though. I took my first MSF class on a small cruiser (Bandit?), and disliked the feet-in-front seating the whole time.

Doubt you'll be happy with the crotch rocket if you want a dual sport. It's hard to get financing from a credit union or banks for under $5,000.00 and on bikes older than 2007.

Main reason I want a dual sport is because they're sprung so soft and I'm thinking about running a creek to cut traffic on the way home from work. ;)

SPACETRUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    just north of goofy town Texas
    I've ridden over the past 40 years, currently on a harley, but done my share of dual sports, never a klr though, right now the ride to work is 19 miles one way, no creeks or off road for me its all asphalt. good luck on your decision.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    KLR 650 rider here it was my first bike and I love it. I'm done posting pics stupid things are always upside down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 138
    Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Here's some info on the USMC Diesel version of the KLR650.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/automobiles/24KAWASAKI.html?_r=0

The bikes are great and I enjoyed both of mine a lot. Of the two bikes: KLR250 and KLR650, I liked the 650 best. It has plenty of power but it's heavy and tall. I'm 6'1" and it was still tall for me. Once you get aboard, the shocks come down some but the initial boarding is a stretch!

The plan for our New Mexico trip was to stay in a tent at Belen NM the take the KLR to see the cliff dwellings in the area. Roads to those places are terrible. My lady friend wussed out so I hopped on the KLR and rode in back to Baytown......about 1100 miles. The bike never missed a beat. It was 105 degrees and I ran it HARD & FAST all the way home!

Please let us know what you decide!

Flash

AaronP220

Mr. Sarcasm
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    NW Houston Tx
    Sportbikes FTW!!!

http://i.imgur.com/Equ5d.jpg

In the last 5 years i've had many kinds of bikes roll thru my garage. Either mine, friends or families. From cruisers, to dual sports, to dirt bikes turned into street bikes, to liter bikes, 750's and 600's...

The main problem I has is there no great do it all bike. You have your bikes for going fast, ones for going comfortable, ones for touring etc.

That being said I had a 2007 R1 live with me for over a year. The bike was far from stock as far as suspension and power etc. But, I could literally ride the bike all day without complaint. It didn't punish my body or my ass. The fun factory was EXTREMELY high. Etc. On my father in laws cruiser after about 2-3 hours I was dying to get off it. Ass was hurting, legs were hurting, tired of being punished by the wind.

I seem to just work with supersports better. I did have a 2009 Triumph Street Triple that was a good compromise for street/sport. Just a naked STD with awesome power and suspension but pretty comfortable.

Let us know what you get!

Top Bottom