• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I had a guy at Academy tell me that their "you must be 21 or older to look at or purchase "tactical weapons" sign was because of federal law" his manager and him were awfully offended when I called BS. And they showed the "federal Law" in their academy hand book where it said something about store policy. LOL! I told them that store policy and federal law were a little different and then left.
    I wonder when that law about LOOKING at a gun went into effect?

Amazing how often "law" and store policy get confused...scary that these folks are the ones that many of the uninformed public get their advice and legal opinions from...
    Target Sports

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I wonder when that law about LOOKING at a gun went into effect?

Amazing how often "law" and store policy get confused...scary that these folks are the ones that many of the uninformed public get their advice and legal opinions from...

Aint it tho.
    I have met some guys working the gun counters at some Academy's that really knew their stuff to, so they are out there. But Allot just hand out crappy advice and when you tell them it's crappy they get mad. The two guys that were telling me about the "federal law" were adamant that that was a federal law. I don't really care all that mutch because the store is free to do what wants but they should call that store policy not federal law! LOL!
    Oh I almost forgot when I stopped by a wally world gas station on my way to work at an armed site in full uniform gun and all, to buy a can of snuff. ( I was pretty close to my car and didn't have to go inside so I was on my way "to or from my assigned work site") anyway the lady at the gas station wanted my ID so I showed it to her. But really full uniform gun, badge, August???? I did say that I needed to stop wearing my Halloween out fit around town before I slid my card. The guy behind me thought that was funnier than I did I guess.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I was at a wally world back in MD, buying ammo with a friend, and got fed that notebook BS. I think it was handgun ammo (not my guns, so I don't remember what we shot that day) but the woman at the counter told us we had to sign the book. I looked at her like she had 7 heads and asked why. She claimed it was a "law." I told her that she was incorrect, and that even MD hadn't enacted such a law yet, then told my buddy if he wanted to put his name and address in the book, I would still split the cost with him. He did, and I told the woman that I didn't mean to be a jerk to her, since she was just following her boss's rules, but that she should know it isn't a law.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Tyler, TX
    Scay thing is that HOPEFULLY TX will not be like CA where they have to take down your DL and finger print to purchase ammo, effect in 2011.

Now what if you're using the .40SW on your Ruger PC40 and you were 18?
    RugerCarbine.jpg

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    It still think it is funny that I can buy 7.62, 5.56 and such, yet i cannot buy .357, I mean really? I have a S&W .357 Magnum which my grandma gave me and I love shooting it but the only way i can is if my grandma goes and buy ammo for me. Why am I able to buy such a big round but when it comes to 9mm .357 and such I am not allowed?

off topic: Al is that yours?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I don't know why but it just seems that it just bothers me more to be harassed for buying anything firearms related. I have already told Acadasuxs what they can do with their crappy attitude. If its such a nasty thing why do the commie basta%%s sell such evil stuff. I won't even buy a pair of tennis shoes there anymore. Walmart is probably going to be next. They don't sell anything I can't get elsewhere. Its all I can do not to cuss up a storm. Carters Country charges me up the butt, but they are nice about it. I'm just getting tired of being treated poorly because I like to kill cans and targets. I have bought my last new gun too. FTF only until that too becomes illegal. I don't mind showing my CHL to a fellow shooter. I guess I won't be leaving Texas and that suits me fine too. I do cheat online now and then. My money is still good on the Internet.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    Y'all have some bad luck at Academy. I don't go often. Don't have a need to. When I do go, it's a fine place. People ask if I need help without harping on me. There has always been someone at the gun counter. I bought ammo there recently, no problems. They were out of 9mm HP and had no .380 at all though.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I guess I've never felt harrassed for buying ammo at academy. I haven't bought a gun there, so haven't gotten the, "don' come back, cause your gonna shoot this place up" treatment.

We'll see.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    There doesn't seem to be much consistency between locations. There are two in my area that I shop at: if one doesn't have something, the other might, and they'll call and check if you ask. Anyway, one will make you wait until someone can take the ammo to the register for you, the other doesn't. One store (the Tomball location, I think) had a one box limit on the 100-round WWB, but you could buy up to 5 50-round boxes of something else. I looked at him funny and then just bought 5 boxes of Federal Golden Eagles at about the same price per round as the WWB.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Anyway, one will make you wait until someone can take the ammo to the register for you, the other doesn't.

Policy is that any purchase in excess of $50 gets walked up to the registers, for obvious reasons. Every year after inventory, guess what the #1 shortage category is....AMMO!

One store (the Tomball location, I think) had a one box limit on the 100-round WWB, but you could buy up to 5 50-round boxes of something else.

That's wrong. The policy is 5 boxes, per SKU #, per person, per day. You should be able to buy 5 WWB 100 pak, AND 5 of every other SKU# in stock. Ask to speak to the Mgr. if they tell you different.

PS... keep in kind, the counter help does not make company policy.
    And about the 21 year old "pistol grip" purchase/handle policy...
    Do you have any idea of how many people, obviously under 21, want to "play" with AR's??

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Stopped at Academy in Killeen and picked up some .40 range ammo tonight. BSed with the guy behind the counter, he hands me the boxes, I walk to the front and get in line, like I've done dozens of times before.

When it comes to my turn, the girl running the till asks for my ZIP code, which is not unusual, but then she asks to see my ID.

"What for?" I asked, "The ammo?"

> "Uh-huh."

"Since when do I have to show ID to purchase ammo?!?"

> "It's been like that."

"It hasn't, but whatever." I flash my DL, she gives it a 2 second scan, and says, "Okay, thanks. That'll be $xx.xx"

I don't argue if I don't have the facts, plus I'm in kind of a mood today, and so I decided just to let it be - for now.

But, I just have three words to say, "WHAT. THE. Fuuuuuu..."

Actually there has been an age requirement since at least 1968.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I was carded at Wally World a few weeks ago (I'm 64, tho I don't look at day over 60 haha), but was back there last week, bought a few boxes of 9mm and offered my license, they said they didn't need it ... never carded at my regular gun store or at gun shows, maybe it was a fluke ...

redneckinmontrose

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Just enjoy the irony and the ignorance

You can either be annoyed or quietly amused when the teenie bopper who isn't old enough to buy the .45 ACP himself chooses to walk it up to the front counter and has no idea that you have a cocked and locked 1911 under your shirt.

Concealed means concealed, chuckle to yourself after you've closed the car door.

Or just buy so much that they don't want to carry it.

Ride4TheBrand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    The Lone Star State
    I use my passport for ID. The only time I show my DL is to those who need it: Police, Driver License Bureau, etc.
    Most kids in stores have never seen a passport before and the look on their face is priceless. They gotta be
    educated sometime!

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I bought 200 rnds of Winchester 230grn .45 ACP just the other day and I wasn't carded (I'm 28). I figured they were going to after seeing this thread. :O

Top Bottom