• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SapperMapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Killeen
    Stopped at Academy in Killeen and picked up some .40 range ammo tonight. BSed with the guy behind the counter, he hands me the boxes, I walk to the front and get in line, like I've done dozens of times before.

When it comes to my turn, the girl running the till asks for my ZIP code, which is not unusual, but then she asks to see my ID.

"What for?" I asked, "The ammo?"

> "Uh-huh."

"Since when do I have to show ID to purchase ammo?!?"

> "It's been like that."

"It hasn't, but whatever." I flash my DL, she gives it a 2 second scan, and says, "Okay, thanks. That'll be $xx.xx"

I don't argue if I don't have the facts, plus I'm in kind of a mood today, and so I decided just to let it be - for now.

But, I just have three words to say, "WHAT. THE. Fuuuuuu..."

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    If she was new, and doesnt know much she is probably just doing what she was trained to do. Good for her. Better than the usual Academy clerks who will sell anything to anyone (see post about straw purchases at Academy)

SapperMapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Killeen
    Is it federal or state law that says you can't sell handguns or handgun ammo to anyone under 21? Maybe that's the deal, and every other clerk has looked at my 36 year old face and said, "yep, he's good." For what it's worth, I got proofed for beer at HEB the other day, too. Guess I look younger than my 36 (almost 37) years.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you were buying pistol ammo, then she has the legal requirement to ensure you're of legal age. Given the current run of BATFE agents running "stings", someone may have warned 'em to tighten things up.

SapperMapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Killeen
    If you were buying pistol ammo, then she has the legal requirement to ensure you're of legal age. Given the current run of BATFE agents running "stings", someone may have warned 'em to tighten things up.
    I kind of figured that - that's why I didn't wig out on the clerk - if anything she was just doing her job. I was at Action Pawn just before, and they were dealing with an ATF inspection when I walked in. Could be the inspector was at Academy earlier today and has everyone on Pucker Factor 4?

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When my kid was in high school, we did some fundraising by working at concession booths for a couple of venues. When the alcohol people came around, we were having to card 60 year olds who were buying a beer. They would do all sorts of tricks to try to nail folks for minor violations, just so they could show they were doing their jobs. To have some fun with it, when I checked ladies ID's I would always say, "I would have guessed you were much younger." Got more tips that way.

I suspect its the same with ATF agents. Except for the tipping.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I get carded from time to time at Academy, too. Rarely at Wally World, though. I don't get mad. I have my wallet out already. Not hard to pull out the DL.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dude, I am 47 and get carded buying ammo! I think some stores have the policy of carding everyone, which I don't mind as that keeps them and everyone out of trouble...

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    Does anyone remember a few years ago going to Walmart and them wanting you to sign a notebook for ammo? It's been over 7 years ago. I went to Walmart to buy the 550 round box of .22lr. The lady at the register handed me a composition notebook to print my name, sign my name, write my zip code and driver's license number. I asked what it was about and she said it was the law. I told her I bought ammo somewhere else a few days ago and didn't have to sign for it. A different employee came up and said it was because the ammo could be used in a rifle or handgun and handgun ammo has to be signed for. I said no thanks, slid the book back and walked off.

I drove clear across the city and to the next to go to a gun store. They didn't have a notebook and looked at me like I was from outer space when I told them about Walmart.

Later, I told my buddy about this and he said, "Yeah. Alfred E Newman bought my last box from Walmart and some dude musta been named scrible scratch bought the box before me." Maybe Walmart was trying to collect info for marketing, covering their butts about verifying age or they were just misinformed about the law. Doesn't seem like they were actually checking anything. I have bought handgun ammo at Walmart since and there hasn't been a notebook again. If you go through the self check lane with ammo, it will stop and say age verification required. That's rifle, handgun and even .177 pellets and BBs.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Last time I bought ammo, it came up on the register. She has to put something in, and its probably the store policy of under 105 years old. . . . .

But seriously, I got carded at Best Buy. . . . .

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Prior to FOPA-86 (as in 1986), you did have to sign a log book for pistol ammunition. My guess is somebody neglected to tell wally world that it wasn't needed any more.

Eli

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Most of the time when at wal-mart and I am buying stuff that people 18 and under can't buy, lighter fluid, spray paint, and such. It pops up on the screen something about checking for id, alot of times the clerk just looks at me and hits yes, but every once in a while they have to see my ID, it doesn't matter to me at all since they are just trying to protect they butts. So it is no inconvenience to me at all since my ID is just a flip of my wallet.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    One of the clients employees was asking me (he's the lawyer here) why the wall mart he went to wanted him to sign for a box of 38's. I told him "I've never heard of it and I would have told them to shove it" he laughed and said he did but that has never been an issue. I had a guy at Academy tell me that their "you must be 21 or older to look at or purchase "tactical weapons" sign was because of federal law" his manager and him were awfully offended when I called BS. And they showed the "federal Law" in their academy hand book where it said something about store policy. LOL! I told them that store policy and federal law were a little different and then left.

Young Gun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    DFW, TX
    I don't see the big deal. I sometimes get carded at the gun counter before the guy will even hand me the boxes, and then again at the register when I am paying. Other times I have walked in and not flashed my ID to anyone. Never offends or upsets me.

Top Bottom