• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    good summary if interested; https://fenixammo.com/pages/the-ballistics-of-5-56x45mm-vs-300-aac-blackout
    cliff notes; a 5.56 under 10" is pretty handicap, and that's where 300 shines
    If seeking a compact package and reduced length from adding a can, it's a pretty awesome round. A 5.5" barrel 300, can still launch a 110gr almost 1800 fps. Night and day to most pistol rounds. Cost effective?.....not much beats a 5.56 for cost.

Also the 110gr Vmax Barnes really turned me on to 300 blk. It's nasty. Not scientific but drops pigs notably more than my 5.56 in 11.5" with 55gr/75gr. Not that 5.56 doesn't get the job done, but most I hunt with have all switched to 5"-9" 300's shooting a 110gr vmax.
    It's hits hard and just more pleasant to shoot out of a short barrel suppressed, less gassy.
    Subsonics are fun to play with too, but I seldom shoot them and can't comment on effectiveness.
    It has advantages over 5.56, there is no doubt. But do they justify the cost, that’s the big question?

If you want a hard hitting round in an AR15 platform, there are better choices, designed as such. The 6.8 and the 6.5G seem to be the go to rounds. These are far superior to both 5.56 and .300.

If you’re after compact and subsonic, .300 becomes a pistol caliber. There are more compact PCCs available.

I guess the coolest thing about .300, and what has always intrigued me, is that by merely changing ammo, you can go from pistol caliber to short range rifle.
    Lynx Defense

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    You say that like you have to choose between the two. Buy the 300 upper and pin it to your current lower.
    We are gun collectors/ hoarders. That’s pretty much my point. .300 would be a great choice if you could only have one gun. It’s very versatile by just changing ammo, but there are way better options by buying a specific gun for the task at hand.

.300 is a compromise, and there is no need to compromise. Buy more guns.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I recently put mine on the chopping block. I like the versatility of it but I literally have one box of ammo for it, magtech 125gr supersonic. I was hoping for something more accurate and reliable than my x39 upper. It's compatibility with 5.56 components is what really perked my interest.

I've heard of the dreaded x39 bolt failure. Also had feed issues with mine(x39), every hi cap mag, even downloaded gave me fits. Another member here mentioned dremeling down the front of mags as a remedy I'm going to try soon. The 300 BO checks the boxes where the x39 doesn't. Same bolt, mags, parent case, etc.

It may have been better marketing in recent times but it does indeed offer something to the AR world. As far as a PD gun, why not ? I have no issues with a lightweight carbine or 14.5" 5.56 AR so likewise I see no negatives except the recent rise in ammo cost which will hopefully come down from outer space one day.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    We are gun collectors/ hoarders. That’s pretty much my point. .300 would be a great choice if you could only have one gun. It’s very versatile by just changing ammo, but there are way better options by buying a specific gun for the task at hand.

.300 is a compromise, and there is no need to compromise. Buy more guns.

I can't imagine anything better than a 300 for a mag dump on a herd of pigs. Controlled recoil, accurate shot placement, heavy bullets to put the hurt on them, FAST repeat shots.

What are you planning to buy to do that?

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I considered one for a while, then realized my SKS is ballistically almost identical. If I was going to go the suppressed route, I still might consider it, but it would be interesting to play with heavy bullets in the SKS to see how that goes. I suppose I could get the barrel threaded for a suppressor for it, if I wanted to.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I took this picture a couple years ago, more about the PCC debate we were having at the time, but where would it fit in, and what would it do better? The top gun has a 16” barrel, the bottom is 4”

C3336150-9447-439D-B60F-5FA0AC29AC1B.png

Jaymo888

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    Houston, TX
    It has advantages over 5.56, there is no doubt. But do they justify the cost, that’s the big question?

If you want a hard hitting round in an AR15 platform, there are better choices, designed as such. The 6.8 and the 6.5G seem to be the go to rounds. These are far superior to both 5.56 and .300.

If you’re after compact and subsonic, .300 becomes a pistol caliber. There are more compact PCCs available.

I guess the coolest thing about .300, and what has always intrigued me, is that by merely changing ammo, you can go from pistol caliber to short range rifle.

No doubt the 6.8 is an awesome cartridge. and will catch more popularity in time. I would agree it is superior in many ways to the 300.

If you are after something compact to blast subs, agreed, get a 9mm PCC with 147's and call it a day.

But I'm not about subsonic life, and if I can get rifle ballistics in the same PCC package with a 5/6/7or 9" barrel, sign me up baby. And you are also telling me it is in .30 cal, is actually reliable with a pistol length gas system, with more stopping power than 5.56, doesn't spew gas in my face, and still uses venerable PMags? DONE!

Reactions: gll

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I’m much more comfortable shooting critters with the 300 than a 223. I think the takedown is better.
    They both poke holes and will kill things. The .08" doesn't make a significant difference IMO. It is a smidgen bigger, but a lot slower.

I like 300BO. But it is in its ability to be quite and its compatability with standard AR equipment is where it shines for me.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I’m considering getting a .300 Blackout for a personal defense weapon.
    many strong feelings one way or another?

.300BLK will be better than using harsh language for self defense. What do you plan on using to launch it with? I don’t have a 300blk as it personally does nothing for me but add an expensive boutique caliber into my line up. If the price & availability is ever in-line with 5.56x45 and/or 7.62x39 then I just assume get a .300BLK AR15 upper and .300BLK mags to use with one of my AR15 lowers.

I would probably stow .300BLK in a separate lockable pelican to prevent the 300BLK in a 5.56 chamber catastrophe.

Running a suppressed upper is the only niche 300BLK gets a nod for in my opinion.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    300 Blackout would never even chamber is a 5.56 rifle. I seriously doubt your could even force it with the forward assist.

It has and there is documentation of the results. I will find a link I remember reading @AR15.COM. There is a lengthy thread of such an occurrence.

Top Bottom