• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Is accuracy really important to you? If yes, then no.

Do you want to reload for it? If no, then no.

Do you want a wide range of practical bullet weights and velocities in one pistol or sbr? If yes, then yes.

JMO...

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Works fine. Pistol or carbine depends on rural or urban. Pistol pretty good to 50 yds - shooter, not the ammo. Easy brass, easy on powder. I run 170gr 850,1400 fps, 150gr 1800 fps. 10-12$/100 but I cast. Also BO carbine will 'reach out' good.
    Uh, I can do MOA @ 100 with scoped carbine.
    Factory ammo is fine if you can find it. Lots of load data if you can find components. Got some factory 220 UMC that works fine but don't normally shoot heavy subs. IIRC my pistol is 5#, carbine is 9#. Before primer shortage, usually use the BO.
    In the house, 40sw does fine. Another choice could be the ugly cheap 9 or 40 carbine. If you can find one & glock mags.

Last edited:

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Is accuracy really important to you? If yes, then no.

Do you want to reload for it? If no, then no.

Do you want a wide range of practical bullet weights and velocities in one pistol or sbr? If yes, then yes.

JMO...

Hmmmmm mine seems to be plenty accurate. 8” SBR @ 300 yards.

ae2ec81f531a7ef139fd2da74fa859c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    My CMMG 16" upper is very accurate with 110gr. 'X' bullets at 100yds. - 3 shots into an inch. It kills axis does dead, and should work on scumbags, too.

My Radical 10.5" upper is just as accurate at 50yds (it wears a Trijicon PRO) with the same load. The S&B 200gr. FMJs also shoot well but not quite as well.

The .300 Blackout (and the .300 Whisper I owned before it) were designed for use with suppressors but are capable unsuppressed as well.

Handloading (as usual) will allow you to tailor your ammunition for maximum effectiveness, but most factory offerings will work.

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Pretty good balance of factors for suppressed operation. Still decent supersonic/medium distance performance. Other cartridges will probably be better if you never want to do subsonic,

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I use 125g ballistic tips (supersonic) on hogs and deer in my 16" barrel gun. Its a great round for small folks as the recoil is minimal. I have a load that I get 3/4" groups at 100 yds. Very accurate, and very deadly on Texas game animals. I would not use it on Texas Axis bucks, but anything else under 150yds its golden based on personal experience. Its one of my favorite guns.

The Nosler BTs are a great bullet for hunting.

You could use it for self defense.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I like the idea of the .30 cal round compared to .223. It feels good and solid to shoot. I like the 125 gr supersonic type ammo. Both of mine are just about as accurate as my .223/5.56 ARs. Ammo is even more scarce right now than .223 or 5.56.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I’ve never been a fan of 300BO, for a few reasons.

Subsonic shooting was the primary driver for the BO. They perform well in this role, but Subsonic ammo is ballistically a .45acp, at 2-3 times the cost.

supersonic rounds are between an anemic .308 and a 7.62x39.

I’ve got a .45 SBR and a .308, so it doesn’t really fill a niche for me. I look at it more as a jack of a couple trades, but master of none. An 8” AR isn’t that compact of an SBR, and even with supers, it’s nothing more short to medium range gun.
    If it was your one and only gun, might be a good choice. It’s a much hyped round that is underwhelming. YMMV

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    For a PDW, I agree with the comments on cost of ammo.
    What distance you’re intending to be effective plays a big role in suggesting if it’s a viable option.
    I may get flamed for it, but, in close quarters I like a shotgun with ghost ring or red dot sights. Or a handgun you know like the back of your hand.
    For concealed, same handgun or takedown/folding pistol caliber carbine with a couple of magazines.
    For out and about work, a rifle caliber carbine that you know like the back of your hand.

So, to circle back to the question, let’s assume we’re in “normal” times when ammo is available, cost is the only factor on how much you shoot. A 300 BO gives you more whack than a pistol round and comes in a very versatile platform at the cost of more expensive ammo than a 7.62x39.
    So, yes? It’s a viable option for a pdw if you want to keep your options for future uses open (suppressed, super or sub etc).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom