• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    shot my m44 today and was really impressed. it now has become my favorite rifle. its loud shoots flames and always goes boom. i put 80 rounds through it today and got the new scope sighted in. i went with a cheapy long eye relief setup from www.combatoptical.com and for the money i cant complain. i was able to pull 1in groups at 100 yards with it.
    Texas SOT

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Where'd you get the ammo from?

I shot some 174 gr. Match through Phatcyclist's 91/30 and it didn't seem to like the ammo very much. At 50 yards it was all over the place, but it shot some surplus considerably better. It could have been me, but I was using a rest and wasn't bothered by the recoil at all.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    mine has the a m44 muzzle brake and a stout recoil pad so the recoil is nothing to me on the gun. the ammo was just some surplus stuff that i found online. the gun was boresighted at 100 and then the scope was adjusted from there, one thing is the ammo was pretty consistent and i only shot 10 rounds or so then let the gun cool for a lil while while i sighted in the sks. im going out as soon as i get more ammo for it. some people they say that cycling on their guns is kinda hard sometimes because of the lip on the casing but i had no problems and the rifleing on the gun is very nice aswell. lets hope the 91/30 performs the same way. and i use a rest with a bag under the muzzle and under the trigger guard to help stablize things.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    How do they M38's fair? I am probably going to pick that one up.

Also, isn't there bolt clearance issues with scopes when you mount it on the dove tail?

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    How do they M38's fair? I am probably going to pick that one up.

Also, isn't there bolt clearance issues with scopes when you mount it on the dove tail?

I think it might depend on how big the scope it, if it is huge then possibly but I think that there is enough space for you to mount just about any scope on it.
    I am planning on taking my 91/30 apart again and completely redoing it from striping the wood and refinishing it, polishing the bolt, re-clean all the metal, possibly repaint some of my metal parts (trigger area mainly), bed the stock, and mount a scope to it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    No, the rear sight's dove tail is well forward of the bolt. You have to use a long eye relief or pistol scope when you mount it here. See pic:
    4306215190_90afc622a3.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Picked up an M38...and had 80rds thrown in for free!

What size bore brush do I get? 30-06?

Yes, a .30 caliber brush will work fine. .30-06 has a bore diameter of .308" and 7.62x54R runs around .311-.312 (though individual rifles could be slightly tighter or way looser due to wear or the fact that they were manufacturing these rifles practically within shouting distance from the Germans at one point). Point being, .004" isn't going to matter to a bore brush.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Thank you.

I had picked up a .30 brush for my AK the other day, and used it for the first time on the Mosin. Guess I have to pick up a few more haha.

I love the gun! Pictures to follow soon. The 7.62x54R is a huge mother round.

How do I mount the scope on the dovetail..?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The bore dimensions on the Mosins vary wildly and the term "oversize bore" is a joke on those rifles and some go as high as .315" for the 30 caliber bore. The Finns, on the other hand, stay with the normal .308 bore. Given the chance to sort through enough of the Mosins, you can find some real shooters. I bought 4 pounds of Cerrosafe low temperature casting alloy when it was cheap and intend to sort my Mosins by bore diameter with that stuff. When cast in the barrel, it shrinks for a time so it can be removed from the bore then comes back to the bore dimension. Temperature to melt it is very low.

One of our match shooters loves shooting the 7.62x54r in 200 yard matches and he does real well with them. In prone, the fireball from each round clears a path of vegetation from in front of his rifle. He used to shoot in a "T" shirt. 56 rounds in a match from a Mosin HURTS! The guy has big fuzzy ones, I'm sure!

If you're going to shoot matches with them, be sure to pick up some stripper clips. I lucked out and found some Bulgarian strippers at Ammo to Go. They are essential for rapid fire reloads.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Have you actually seen Mosins with .308 bores? I've heard that there was only one model of Finn rifle that ran that bore diameter.

As far as the rest of the rifles, AFAIK .311 is the correct bore diameter for 7.62x54R

bunkysdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Garland Tx
    Adionik, congrats on the M38. The 30 cal brushes are just what you need, and I would also suggest a good one piece cleaning rod long enough to clean from the chamber end. 80 rounds thrown in for free sounds good, but will gone in a flash(literally!). I see you live in San Antonio, well in the little town of Brenham, home of Blue Bell Ice cream, there is a online ammo store that I have had great service from. Shipping vis UPS was as reasonable as could be expected. As for the above mentioned request for target pics, I have some here. 50 yards and from a M44 rifle, both with bayonet folded and extended. It does make a difference on point of impact. Mosinitis? It's brutal, and the only cure is more Mosins. I have 5 now, and want many more

M44 target1..jpg e hex receiver3..jpg
    M44 target2..jpg . M44 carbine1..jpg

bunkysdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Garland Tx
    Sorry, forgot to give the link to the ammo place. It is Ammunition to Go. Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! Also a couple of pictures of my M39 at 100 yards. The Finnish Mosins are the most accurate generally, and it is a real pleasure to learn the history of these firearms, something I strongly recommend before making any modifications or refinishing. A refinished or modified milsurp always sells for less than an original, just due to the nature and history of milsurps and the guys who truly love them. That is the beauty of the ATI stock you mentioned, it can enhance the handling of the rifle, absorb recoil, and is not permanent. My friend bought one and it required no mods to the stock whatsoever, fit like a glove. This range trip was right after buying the M39, and no sight adjustments were done yet.
    012..jpg
    005..jpg

Top Bottom