• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I see them on AIM surplus whom i've ordered with before for $79.99 plus shipping and the $20 FFL fee, i'm guessing will put me *> $120

I called up Powderhorn and they said they have some starting at $119. I'm wondering who I should order them from... Triple digits seemed like a lot for a Mosin...

Anything to look out for? Are the field cleaning kits really effective?

They don't seem to carry the ammo at Academy...kind of bummed about that.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I wouldn't use the issue cleaning kit. I have, but it's not the best.

7.62x54R is best bought online IMO. Buy it in bulk and it's almost as cheap as shooting a .22. Just remember to clean the rifle with soap and water whenever you shoot surplus ammo.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I bought one for grins and liked it so much I picked up a second. Crude but they work and no surprises. Kinda like an old Land Rover; uncomfortable, crude, and not all that pretty but they work so damn well.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I almost bought one at the gun show in mesquite but the guy wouldnt come down 30 bucks so i passed. I'll find one sooner or later.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Be careful, Mosinitis is very addictive! I bought my first one back in October, and now I have...well, let's say a bunch!

Wait for the next gun show, you can pick them up there for about the same price as getting one online and you get the opportunity to look at the rifle before buying. There are several vendors that have one and if you want we can meet up if you go on Saturday mornings.

As for ammo, the Powderhorn has 20 round packages for just under $10; but as stated you can get better deals online. Alamo Ammo also carries spam cans of 440 rounds, I got Russian for a decent deal...maybe a bit more than online, but at least I spent my money locally.

Lastly, everything you could ever want to know about it can be found at: 7.62x54r.net

Just be careful, if you go on the forums there, they have a very strict policy on no discussions concerning modifications or even refurbishment. It is purely focused on collecting and be sure to read the rules beforehand as there is no tolerance of off-topic discussions.

Mosin Nagant is another good forum.

Have fun, they are rifles with great histories behind them and a blast to shoot!

Cheers! M2

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Be careful, Mosinitis is very addictive! I bought my first one back in October, and now I have...well, let's say a bunch!

Wait for the next gun show, you can pick them up there for about the same price as getting one online and you get the opportunity to look at the rifle before buying. There are several vendors that have one and if you want we can meet up if you go on Saturday mornings.

As for ammo, the Powderhorn has 20 round packages for just under $10; but as stated you can get better deals online. Alamo Ammo also carries spam cans of 440 rounds, I got Russian for a decent deal...maybe a bit more than online, but at least I spent my money locally.

Lastly, everything you could ever want to know about it can be found at: 7.62x54r.net

Just be careful, if you go on the forums there, they have a very strict policy on no discussions concerning modifications or even refurbishment. It is purely focused on collecting and be sure to read the rules beforehand as there is no tolerance of off-topic discussions.

Mosin Nagant is another good forum.

Have fun, they are rifles with great histories behind them and a blast to shoot!

Cheers! M2

Interesting, I need to go to Alamo Ammo and check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

At the last gun show I didn't see any Mosins for less than $100...but maybe I can get them down this coming show. To me, the Mosin reminds me of the AK...a work horse in the worst conditions. Plus it's cheap as hell for that size of caliber!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You probably won't, but once you add in shipping and FFL (which means you should get a C&R if you're gonna start collecting these!), it will run you over a hundred bucks anyway. I always prefer to see what I am buying, even if it costs me an additional $10-20 which as I stated will go into the local economy which is always a good thing.

And of course, there is always this humorous comparison...

Mosin Nagant Humor* AK vs. AR vs. Mosin Nagant

By the way, if you want a really fun experience, come out and shoot one of my Mosin M44 carbines at dusk. The fireball is quite impressive! Looks like this...

Cheers! M2

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    i love mine alot, bought it for 120 at Gander and it was top notch. Really want a M44 now the 91/30 is just to long for me to carry hog hunting.

And Gander mountain has ammo for it for 11 bucks for a 20 round box, I bought a box of Soft points to use while hunting and they shoot amazing.

And I love that AK vs Ar vs Mosin thing, saw it on that sight when I was researching it. My favorite is the part where you can be a fox hole and stab someone across the river with your mosin without leaving the hole

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you are lucky, you can find one for around $150 online but most likely you'll have to pay between that up to $200 or more for one. I really like the carbines and they make up the majority of my collection. Again, the monthly SAXET show would probably be your best bet, you may pay a little more but at least you get the opportunity to look over and feel the rifle before buying...

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    When Gander put them on sale (69 plus tax) a while back I bought three! Cleaned all the storage grease out of just one. Although the overall condition, wood and metal, was great the bore was in poor shape. It kicks like a mule and accuracy leaves a lot to be desired but it looks cool and has a report that turns heads.

Guns like these fired corrosive ammo. Thorough bore cleaning with soap and ammonia was not a high priority among Soviet GIs fighting for their lives. Bores may be bad and hard to check through caked on cosmoline.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    i picked up 2 today
    an m44 and a 91/30
    cant wait to shoot them this weekend

How much did you pick up the M44 for?

I went to look at the Mosins today at Powderhorn. Seriously...those guys are awesome. Best customer service i've dealt with in a LONG time. I will most likely be picking up my Mosin there should I decide to get one.

I'd really like an M44 for the length, but the salesman told me that the kick would be a little more intense on the M44 compared to the Mosin...which I don't want. Although I doubt i'll be shooting more than 50-100 in a day. The guns were disgustingly filthy, going to need a good bath once I pick one up.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I got mine from AIM and was in nice shape all numbers matched.
    I refinished the stock but was careful not to remove the handling marks.

Just got a zechoslavakian vz. 24 8mm Mauser and I am working on ten stock on it now.
    Another nice rifle from AIM.

IMG_0394..jpg IMG_0401..jpg IMG_0393..jpg IMG_0396..jpg IMG_0395..jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thorough bore cleaning with soap and ammonia was not a high priority among Soviet GIs fighting for their lives. Bores may be bad and hard to check through caked on cosmoline.

Ammonia cleans off copper fouling. It doesn't really do anything with corrosive ammo. Corrosive ammo is caused by the primers producing salt (potassium chloride) when they burn. Water is all it takes, but soap helps get it out faster.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    i got them both in a trade, they are almost flawless. the 91/30 looks brand new, and it being this old i was amazed. the m44 looks awesome too hopefully they both shoot great.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    You guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I want to get the ATI stock once I get some more cash.

MGR-341..jpg

I hear they require a bit of work to fit properly, but that's expected. It will match the rest of my guns...I have nothing wood!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You guys are probably going to hate me for this, but I want to get the ATI stock once I get some more cash.
    Nothing wrong with that. Just keep the wood in a safe place in case you ever want to get rid of the rifle. Also, if you're going to scope it, I recommend removing the rear sight base and mounting a long eye relief scope directly to the sight's dove tail. That modification is easily reversible.

Top Bottom