• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Regardless of the model Colt, they are made to essentially the Army specifications on fit and finish. All the parts are swappable and will work. That's why the rattle. The other guns have tighter fitting of parts, frame to slide, hammer to sear, barrel to bushing to slide, etc. The tighter tolerances require hand fitting. Hand fitting requires more time and costs more money. Some people are willing to spend more than others.

Most of my 1911s are Colt. I also have Springfields, Dan Wessons, Kimbers, Remington Rand, and have owned Wilsons and Baers. In my hand (and that is what counts) the Dan Wessons are the most accurate I have owned. Your mileage may vary.
    <>

Understood and appreciated.

But,

Recall that the Germans learned in 1939 & 1940 Russia that too precise engineering tolerances can bring-on other troubles.

I admittedly have shot few 1911’s in the past 45 years; but before that, I shot them frequently for decades, since childhood. All were Colts of one variety or another, and all functioned fairly well with ball ammo. Any accuracy problem was my fault.

When I was around 12, I was taught to strip & reassemble 1911’s and by 14 or 15 was completely disassembling, trouble shooting, & reassembling them.
    No, I am not a gunsmith, and use pros for all work for the past half-century.

An old friend, a precision machinist who once built & tuned .45ACP & .38 Super 1911’s for the U S Navy’s competition pistol teams; has told me that he liked to do builds from NORINCO’s. I have never heard much good about any NORINCO product, but he insists that they had good basic components.

Anyway, the widely disparate asking prices for superficially similar 1911’s of today caused me to inquire here.

So, I was just asking of those more expert than I about the topic. I don’t have any dog in this fight and didn’t intend to cause an uproar.

I only have three .45’s left and rarely carry or shoot them. We plan to build a back yard range, and will likely do more shooting soon. I have some really old ammo which needs to be fired.

Thanks to all for their sincere comments & advice.

leVieux

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Only problem with older Smith & Wessons is wear from use, poor maintenance, and bubbas.
    I have a M29 that I used very heavily with a steady diet of Elmer Keith's favorite. It spits so much it's unusable. It rattles badly when you shake it. And, oh yeah, the front sight insert flew off a long, long time ago.

...Smith & Wesson can rebuild the action for you with new old stock parts like they did with my 29-2 which was bubba’d to failure. It’s perfect now.
    Was that a PITA to set up? I really need to look into doing that.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    My gp100 match champion had the rear sight screw fall out of the box, and the cylinder face was uneven and rubbed the forcing cone at one point. The pin for the rear sight was walking out as well.

When i got it back, the cylinder was fixed, but the gun had the heaviest DA pull I've ever felt, and it was clear they had hit the rear sight pin with a hammer and dinged up the finish. I wasn't too concerned about that though, the match champion already looks like a bag of smashed assholes.

I got into some pre lock combat magnums and am much happier

Damn that’s sad.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I have a M29 that I used very heavily with a steady diet of Elmer Keith's favorite. It spits so much it's unusable. It rattles badly when you shake it. And, oh yeah, the front sight insert flew off a long, long time ago.

Was that a PITA to set up? I really need to look into doing that.

Not really too difficult to deal with. I just called them and talked to them to set it up. Shipped my gun to them as per their instructions and then they sent me an invoice for the action rebuild, then I got it back in the mail. Think it ran me around $200 to 250 tops for the action rebuild.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    <>

Understood and appreciated.

But,

Recall that the Germans learned in 1939 & 1940 Russia that too precise engineering tolerances can bring-on other troubles.

I admittedly have shot few 1911’s in the past 45 years; but before that, I shot them frequently for decades, since childhood. All were Colts of one variety or another, and all functioned fairly well with ball ammo. Any accuracy problem was my fault.

When I was around 12, I was taught to strip & reassemble 1911’s and by 14 or 15 was completely disassembling, trouble shooting, & reassembling them.
    No, I am not a gunsmith, and use pros for all work for the past half-century.

An old friend, a precision machinist who once built & tuned .45ACP & .38 Super 1911’s for the U S Navy’s competition pistol teams; has told me that he liked to do builds from NORINCO’s. I have never heard much good about any NORINCO product, but he insists that they had good basic components.

Anyway, the widely disparate asking prices for superficially similar 1911’s of today caused me to inquire here.

So, I was just asking of those more expert than I about the topic. I don’t have any dog in this fight and didn’t intend to cause an uproar.

I only have three .45’s left and rarely carry or shoot them. We plan to build a back yard range, and will likely do more shooting soon. I have some really old ammo which needs to be fired.

Thanks to all for their sincere comments & advice.

leVieux

<>
    There's nothing wrong with too precise tolerances if you have the manufacturing base to support it. US manufacturing and logistics were far more complicated than German equivalents. We not only had nearly every one equipped with a semi auto, but we fought 2 full scale fronts, both of which involved ocean crossings just to get to friendly staging areas, maintained full air and naval campaigns, but even gave tons of equipment to anyone we thought might be friendly. We were also the only truly mechanized force in the war.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    There's nothing wrong with too precise tolerances if you have the manufacturing base to support it. US manufacturing and logistics were far more complicated than German equivalents. We not only had nearly every one equipped with a semi auto, but we fought 2 full scale fronts, both of which involved ocean crossings just to get to friendly staging areas, maintained full air and naval campaigns, but even gave tons of equipment to anyone we thought might be friendly. We were also the only truly mechanized force in the war.
    <>

My comment was referring to the too-close engineering tolerances of items like the BMW radials in the FW190 requiring extensive pre-warming before turning over for preparing to start-up.

It is said that temperatures were -40F near Moscow.

I have heard that the lesser machining tolerances of the Russian equipment made for more reliable operation in extreme cold.

<>

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not really too difficult to deal with. I just called them and talked to them to set it up. Shipped my gun to them as per their instructions and then they sent me an invoice for the action rebuild, then I got it back in the mail. Think it ran me around $200 to 250 tops for the action rebuild.
    TYVM.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    <>

My comment was referring to the too-close engineering tolerances of items like the BMW radials in the FW190 requiring extensive pre-warming before turning over for preparing to start-up.

It is said that temperatures were -40F near Moscow.

I have heard that the lesser machining tolerances of the Russian equipment made for more reliable operation in extreme cold.

<>

The Germans would stuff the engine cowlings with straw and light it on fire to try to warm the engine up so they could start it. One the Focke-Wulf and on the Me109.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Another nice one.
    Bob

jFQcqvn.jpg

Nothing wrong with a Gold Cup
    E4E4FOm.jpg

Last edited:

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    like comparing a Ferrari toa tractor!

Huh? No I don’t think so, these Clark’s are really nice. Mines got a crisp trigger, accurate, tight frame fit. I’ve fired a gold cup, comparing a 70s gold cup I’ve stumbled on to mine finish is similar. If we’re talking a new in the box well yes the bluing on a gold cup would be better.

No sir mines not a tractor.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Tisas with some uniquely sourced grips.
    The pics don't show how the finish isn't quite OD green....more sorta....Gumby?
    The actual color of the grips looks really nice and goes well with the guns color.

Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230716-172145_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230716-172145_Gallery.jpg
      216.6 KB · Views: 55
    • Screenshot_20230716-172132_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230716-172132_Gallery.jpg
      260.7 KB · Views: 58

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    BORTHAS!
    ATTENTION!

NEXT WEEK THESE GO ON SALE. THIS TIME IT REALLY IS TWO WORLD WARS! GRIPS MADE FROM WOOD DECK OF BATTLESHIP TEXAS.

GOBLESS AND WATCH OUT FOR THE CLIBBINS! THANK YOU FOR YOUR CERVIX.

GOT TO GO, BARB HAS SUPPER READY.

364793594_10219489405585064_149080900274075120_n.jpg

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I think that's a pretty pistol but I'm not entirely sure. Apparently, the photographer feels that poor focus isn't a fatal flaw. Some of the problem is likely just reduced resolution that may have come from downsizing (or some other cause) but that's not the entire problem. Look how much sharper the magazine floorplate is compared to the markings on the slide. It's like the photographer never heard of the Scheimpflug principle or has any idea how to work with it for shots like this.

I've turned out much worse work myself when cranking out informal snapshots. But a photo on which I show the name of my business? There's no use for those shots to be anything but perfect.

Sorry. Personal pet peeve. Rant over.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    BORTHAS!
    ATTENTION!

NEXT WEEK THESE GO ON SALE. THIS TIME IT REALLY IS TWO WORLD WARS! GRIPS MADE FROM WOOD DECK OF BATTLESHIP TEXAS.

GOBLESS AND WATCH OUT FOR THE CLIBBINS! THANK YOU FOR YOUR CERVIX.

GOT TO GO, BARB HAS SUPPER READY.

View attachment 399072

Talk to me, Goose!

1691069379032.png

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member