Target Sports

Glocks may be perfection but they arent a fraking commodity.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I purchased five firearms last month. A 9mm Banshee, a Kimber Custom II, a 5" Ronin Operator, a 4.25" Ronin Operator, and my favorite the CZ Scorpion 2 Orange. All were bought on the internet. I shopped around until I found the item I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. My best deal was the brand new CZ Shadow 2 Orange for $1,699. If you are diligent in your search you should be able to find whatever you want at a lower price than you scalpers are asking.
    It takes time and patience, but it is worth it in the end.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I'm all for free market but some folks are getting stupid. Your beat up used Glock isnt worthy of a 50 to 100 percent retail mark up.

And that's a special different kind of stupid than the idiots paying that price. Or meeting behind the adult bookstore at 2 AM to deal.

Update the spreadsheets gentlemen.

Seriously, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Dont get me started on 1500 dollar WASRs or fubard bubba gunsmithing home brew ARs.

But they know what they got.

Who knew shit was worth so much.

Were in a pandemic dont you know.
    When you say "Glocks aren't a commodity" what I think you meant is "Glocks aren't sold by a monopoly with no other options and required for your existence." In other words, if you don't like the price, don't buy it.

The free market works EXACTLY like this:

I have 10 Glocks for sale at $1000. You say it's ridiculous because you want one, but you don't want to pay that much. I sell all 10 at $1000. Guess the news. You lose. Buyers got their Glocks and I made money.

Now, I price it at $1000 and everyone around me (like Academy that everyone on here touts despite their non-existent customer service and perp-walking you out when you buy a gun) is selling it for MAP, $499. Guess what. I can't sell shit. If I don't come down on my prices, I'm out of business.

BUSINESS LESSON, PART DEUX:

I normally sell 100 Glocks per year at a paltry $40 markup because that's where the market is. That's $4000 gross profit to pay rent, employees, credit card fees (about 30% of the profit!), lights, oh, and my dinner. This year, however, I can't even order a damn Glock. I got 10 in the whole year because every distributor is backordered. I still need the $4000 to pay rent that didn't change, employees who still get paid, lights that are still on when you walk in, and I still have to eat every day. Where's the $4000 going to come from if I can only get 10 glocks? Even at $600 for a $499 gun, that's only $1400 in gross profit. I'm WAYYYY short. Furthermore, if my neighbor is selling them out for $800 and GB is selling for $750, I'm a fool for selling them at $600.

But you're in luck! You don't need a Glock so don't buy one. What you really need is a FN 249S for $9000. Oh wait, they're sold out. Maybe a 500 S&W revolver. Nope. Sold out. ANY gun in 5.56 NATO...all distributors sold out of every SKU. Forget it. Just go buy some 9mm ammo.

Incidentally, we had 9mm ammo on sale for 9.50/box on Friday before COVID. A fairly regular customer looked at it. I said "Good deal, huh?" He shrugged and said, "meh, I can get it a few cents cheaper on line and they ship to my house." I said, "you can take that to your house now and you don't have to wait." He passed. On Monday the ammo went to 11.99/box. When someone sent me a picture of Academy's shelves completely bare on Tuesday the price went to $14.99. Nobody even asked how much the ammo cost and we sold out that day. I've only seen one order of 20 boxes of 9mm come in since.

It's simple supply and demand. You'll buy it where it's cheapest, whatever that means. Some days that means $9.00/box online and the local guy is struggling to stay open. Some days that's $17.99 at the gun range because that's the ONLY store in 50 miles that has any.

I had one customer tell me he'll pay me 3x for Retumbo if I can get it because he has a hunt coming up and that's for the load in a particular rifle. Haven't seen Retumbo since November. Again, supply and demand. A Picasso is just $2 pencil on a $10 canvas. But it's rare and if you want it more than the other guy, you'll pay $1.2mm when he stops bidding at $1.1mm. To me, it's worth $12.

Now, apply that same philosophy to water, bread, and basically everything else when prices go up during a hurricane or whenever. If there's a lot of places to get something and the government isn't involved, then price fixing/gouging is almost impossible.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    There is one situation where I would choose a Glock...

ddc608bdb6c040dac9f014ac70073b59.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    I'm all for free market but some folks are getting stupid. Your beat up used Glock isnt worthy of a 50 to 100 percent retail mark up.

And that's a special different kind of stupid than the idiots paying that price. Or meeting behind the adult bookstore at 2 AM to deal.

Dont get me started on 1500 dollar WASRs or fubard bubba gunsmithing home brew ARs.

Supply and demand is a beautiful thing... if it doesn't affect you, don't sweat it...

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I wouldn't buy a franken-ar, but I know some would.

Lotsa degenerate gamblers out there....

What's a Franken-ar?

If you look at nearly any gun these days, they're just an assembly of parts. Most have Magpul furniture...the same stuff you'd buy yourself. (or Luth-AR or Rogers or Hogue or basic M4 buttstock)
    An Aero receiver and furniture...same stuff Aero would sell in completed uppers and lowers.
    BCG is VERY rarely made by the company whose name is on it or whose gun it's in.
    Very few companies make barrels.
    Most uppers come from one of a few forges, probably names you never heard of, but all of the "non-Franken guns" use the same few parts. They might have various levels of finish and QC, but they all start the same.
    Even some lower "makers" have others make their receivers and get marking variances to put their name on it. Aero does this for people as does a few others who I can't remember now.

I'd say if you like the list of parts, it's okay. It does feel like a hatchet job until you realize the big gun companies really are just doing the same thing and then adding their name for $300.

Ironically, I just had a guy come in and ask me to put his upper together. He gave me a sob story about how much money he's spent already on this build because he keeps getting the wrong parts. He's paid us once to assemble his upper. So today he says "man, is there anyway you can give me a break. I'm so deep in this build already. I'm throwing myself on your mercy." I respond, "so where'd you get this barrel? (GFLA) What about this handguard? (From Aero) And this gas block? (online, you guys were out at the time) and the upper? (online). Well, did you ask these guys for discounts? They're the ones making all the all money. Discount? I should charge you double since I can't make anything on the product." WHAT THE F? It's like the guy who has never been in the store and asks for a donation for his kids baseball team. "We love guns. Do you want to support our local team?" "What kind of guns do you like?" "Oh man. We just built and AR. We have several Glocks. I should get my new thermal scope in any day now!" "So where's that coming from?" "The guns? I usually get them from Gunbroker or maybe Palmetto if they have a deal. But I got the thermal from Optics Planet." ...so why the hell are you here asking me for money? Ask the people who you spend money with. You just rattled off about $5000 you spent somewhere else. It's every single day at every single LGS. And, to the original point, if the LGS is charging (I mean asking) $700 for a used Glock, that's probably because it's their rare chance to have something in stock and for less than PSA, Buds, etc.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    It
    Better than stripped, but crazy to pay that. Good on you though. Starting at $0.99 is all on the bidders.
    It's always all on the bidders. Not sure what that means. If you price it at $1000 and there are no bids, well, it's still all on the bidders (or lack of). If one guy bids 1000, it's still all on the bidder.

Hank1973

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2020

Almost all of my guns have been purchased through auctions. Only exceptions are the ones I have bought off of other gun owners. Even with this election infection I have only paid 90% of retail at the most for any of them. Including my favorite Glock (see picture). It boggles my mind that people would pay that much for a firearm. It's like they think they have a Golden Ticket to the chocolate factory hidden away in one of them somewhere.

Attachments

• glock.jpg
      glock.jpg
      25.9 KB · Views: 367

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Almost all of my guns have been purchased through auctions. Only exceptions are the ones I have bought off of other gun owners. Even with this election infection I have only paid 90% of retail at the most for any of them. Including my favorite Glock (see picture). It boggles my mind that people would pay that much for a firearm. It's like they think they have a Golden Ticket to the chocolate factory hidden away in one of them somewhere.

Buy mine from all over the country from a variety of sources.........

What's your point?

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    GTDistributors has new Glock 19's I can buy on their website today for $477 if you qualify for their blue label deals.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    What does it take to qualify for a blue label gun?

Top Bottom