• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I’m 53, and I have a soon-to-be-2-year old, and a 3.5 year old toddler.

The lack of time to exercise is making me feel old and weaker than I’ve ever been.

But the main reality is, I’m just tired. I empty the tank daily just tending to the boys, and once they’re asleep I basically collapse from exhaustion.

<>

About the time I actually “retired:”, I was taking a weight control course from UT, and it really emphasized sleep. I had risen at 4:30 almost every day for over 6 years.

For a few nights, I slept 10 or 12 hours, then gradually gravitated to 7 or 8 hours. Now I never “doze-off” after lunch, and feel much better in general.

Yes, I lost from 268 to 181, then 175, now am about 189 as I haven’t been able to exercise since March b/c of spinal surgeries & later injuries.

Can’t wait to get back on my cruiser bike & lose the 12 or 15 #.

<>

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Turned 64 yesterday and reading this is ironic in a sense.
    I’ve said many times that if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
    Between motorcycles and a few bubba stunts in my younger days I shouldn’t be here. But even when the good lord is looking over your shoulder and saving your ass, down the road there is still a price to pay. That’s kinda blunt and not sounding very thankful for which I am, but it is still true. Most days with a little time in the morning my body will respond and function mostly normal. But on occasion it says nope, not today. At least not normally anyway. I guess we have accept what we have and be thankful for that.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Turned 64 yesterday and reading this is ironic in a sense.
    I’ve said many times that if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
    Between motorcycles and a few bubba stunts in my younger days I shouldn’t be here. But even when the good lord is looking over your shoulder and saving your ass, down the road there is still a price to pay. That’s kinda blunt and not sounding very thankful for which I am, but it is still true. Most days with a little time in the morning my body will respond and function mostly normal. But on occasion it says nope, not today. At least not normally anyway. I guess we have accept what we have and be thankful for that.

<>

I would venture that everyone here has survived many misadventures of youth, some amazingly.

You do not qualify as “Old’’ at a mere 64.

The aches & pains only multiply. As my late Mom often said, “You must learn to ignore the pain; or, it will drive you crazy!”

<>

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket
    It might be that being 'old' has something to do with age, and physical maladies, but there's another component that plays larger, imo, in how we feel. Exhaustion.

After a life lived at 200mph, physically, mentally and emotionally, it's like there's no energy left. Tired at the cellular level. Rode hard, put up wet. Just worn out.

Oh, we keep going, not quite ready for the long dirt nap, but dayum. Some days... Ya know?

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    What's with all the young whippersnappers complaining about here?
    They haven't gotten to experience grandkids yet? Just lookit this little cowgirl!
    1000001590.jpg

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We had two kids 16 months apart in our twenties and at 35 said it was now or never for a third. We could tell a big difference raising one at 35. Now at 61, keeping any of our 3 grandkids wears us out.

I had a friend that had a kid with his 2nd wife when he was 55. Stated he enjoyed that one the most since he was more settled in his life and had more time to spend with them.

The extra income, the lack of worrying about paying the light bill, is a good thing. And I know I’m a more patient, kind person now than I ever was back then.

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Funny how the grand kiddos make your life whole.
    We enjoyed ours to almost no end and they grew up way too fast. Our youngest started college this fall and it seems like yesterday I held him in my arms and he was just minutes old. They are all gone now for the most part. Cherish the little ones while you can. They grow up way too quickly.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The extra income, the lack of worrying about paying the light bill, is a good thing. And I know I’m a more patient, kind person now than I ever was back then.
    <>

Be careful to not “kill them with kindness”.

Helicopter Parents and those who always take kid’s side in all disputes RUIN their kids.

We know this the very HARD WAY !

<>

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Funny how the grand kiddos make your life whole.
    We enjoyed ours to almost no end and they grew up way too fast. Our youngest started college this fall and it seems like yesterday I held him in my arms and he was just minutes old. They are all gone now for the most part. Cherish the little ones while you can. They grow up way too quickly.

Having the grandparents live with us (we converted the garage to an 800 SF ADU) is a blessing that I never knew. My boys are constantly going back and forth to their place, and they love it.

I just need controlled access so grandma stops coming to our house :laughing:

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Having the grandparents live with us (we converted the garage to an 800 SF ADU) is a blessing that I never knew. My boys are constantly going back and forth to their place, and they love it.

I just need controlled access so grandma stops coming to our house :laughing:
    It's called grandma proofing the house. Or just change the locks. Or become a nudist----that'll cure her.

smokey1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Austin,TX
    As I get older a situation comes up once in a blue moon and say things candidly. When that happens say to myself “I’m my father’s son.."

Most recent example is in the local grocery store @15 items-or-less checkout lane when someone decides they need to do three separate transactions having 25+ items along with needing cigarettes which cashier has to go get.

I say out-loud what everyone else behind me in-line is thinking to themselves, “thanks a$$hole!!"

Top Bottom