May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    E8oVPfCWUAAKaPY.jpeg.jpg

Patience0830

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    FreeStateuv IN
    No s**t! I used to work for a company headquartered in Tulsa. They were always trying to get people to move from Houston to Tulsa and NOBODY would go. (If you get fired or laid off in Houston, you stand a pretty decent chance of finding another job. In Tulsa? No.) We used to refer to the city as "The town that Tulsans love". The only decent hotel in town blocked cell phone signals so that you had to use their phones. The company decided to follow the Enron model of operating, and when "The Crooked E" went down the toilet, that company nearly did the same. They gave Warren Buffet some of their best assets in exchange for saving them an hour before they would have had to close the doors.
    Think that meme said Tunisia, not TULSA.

ETH77

ZAP Rules
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    My grandmother had those. She had a modern washing machine. I don't know how it was done but the wash water would drain into one of the sinks and would be reused by the machine. I thought it was weird/cool because my mom's didn't do that.
    Back to my aunt, she had a Maytag washer in the milk house. It was a 2 cylinder two stroke and both the front and rear doors of the milk house had to be opened when she was washing. There was a pretty good muffler on the motor so it wasn't too bad. The motor drove a gear box which was connected to the agitator (vertical crank on the motor). There was a power takeoff for the wringer. You didn't want to get anything near the wringer that you didn't want squished, fingers, in particular, but don't be standing there wearing a tie either. Wash water was precious as it had to be fetched from the well which was about 100 feet away, so it got reused until it got pretty dirty. The rinse water helped remove the last of the dirt.

My dad took an old motor from her broken washer - the Maytag man didn't make house calls in rural areas - welded up a couple of pipes to flanges which mated to the exhaust ports on the engine, flipped it upside down, mounted it on a 1/4" Dural plate with wheels on it, put a blade on the crankshaft and voila instant mower. That sucker was loud! Good times. The neighbors weren't quite as enthused as my brother and I were.

Top Bottom