APOD Firearms

Free Auto advice from a certified mechanic !

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Quick question/ research verification for the experts.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. Wanting to tow it on a dolly (forward facing). Research says not to tow it at all, trailer only. I did find guys that tow them with a dolly only after unhooking the driveshaft and facing forward only. Trip will be 900 miles.

Thoughts? Safe to do? Anything else to watch for?
    DK Firearms

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

2005 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. Wanting to tow it on a dolly (forward facing). Research says not to tow it at all, trailer only. I did find guys that tow them with a dolly only after unhooking the driveshaft and facing forward only. Trip will be 900 miles.

Oh yeah, Nissan transmissions do not like to be spun by the back tires during a tow.

I'm sure there are others (all automatics?) but Nissan for certain.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well, Gremlins or Liberals then....

It's not a "sweet" smell is it? That could be coolant.
    Nope. I'm familiar with the usual problems.

Going to change my air filter of all things. Perhaps it is causing some pressure to build?

Not sure. Glad the transmission is shifting fine but concerned about the smell.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

Going to change my air filter of all things. Perhaps it is causing some pressure to build?

Well I'm perplexed. Good thing you've got warranty still

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX

Automatics, in general, don't like to be towed (with the engine not running) because the oil pump is run off the input shaft for the transmission. They'll burn up if they're towed. However, if you disconnect (and securely tie up) the driveshaft, nothing will be turning in the transmission and everything will be good.

Manual transmissions, on the other hand, are generally lubricated by the splash of the gears in the oil. They can be flat towed, without disconnecting the driveshaft because the gears will still be lubricated, just as if it were being driven.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Automatics, in general, don't like to be towed (with the engine not running) because the oil pump is run off the input shaft for the transmission. They'll burn up if they're towed. However, if you disconnect (and securely tie up) the driveshaft, nothing will be turning in the transmission and everything will be good.

Manual transmissions, on the other hand, are generally lubricated by the splash of the gears in the oil. They can be flat towed, without disconnecting the driveshaft because the gears will still be lubricated, just as if it were being driven.
    Just thought of something....if his xfer case has a neutral position, would that keep the trans output shaft from spinning?

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd

Air filter could never cause a burning oil odor. Oil is leaking onto the exhaust somewhere, guaranteed. That's assuming you're as familiar with the usual odors as you think you are...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Air filter could never cause a burning oil odor. Oil is leaking onto the exhaust somewhere, guaranteed. That's assuming you're as familiar with the usual odors as you think you are...
    I'm not a mechanic but am generally handy and have worked on cars a fair amount.

Don't get me wrong though. I know it isn't coolant but not going much past that!

Checked brakes and struts and they all seemed good.

Just recalled I ran over a big piece of Tyvek or something the other day and didn't see it exit under my car in the rear view so going to check out the whole exhaust system to make sure it didn't get sucked up, wrapped around and melted onto the exhaust.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Just recalled I ran over a big piece of Tyvek or something the other day and didn't see it exit under my car in the rear view so going to check out the whole exhaust system to make sure it didn't get sucked up, wrapped around and melted onto the exhaust.

That could definitely do it also. Something is burning on the exhaust. I still think you have an oil leak. It won't leak onto the ground because it burns on the exhaust before it can make it to the ground. :p

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That could definitely do it also. Something is burning on the exhaust. I still think you have an oil leak. It won't leak onto the ground because it burns on the exhaust before it can make it to the ground.
    Boom! Everything clicked once I remembered running over that plastic. I guess I assumed the worst (clutch/slave cylinder etc).

Here it is. Whatever that black stuff is melted on my exhaust is the culprit. Thanks all!
    4188e4ab757c4863f033c788785f171d.jpg

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The best tip for diagnosing car problems is to not overthink things. Assuming a new issue is related to recent car work (oil change) is a common mistake that often has people chasing their tail. Don't assume anything; only go on what you know for sure.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The best tip for diagnosing car problems is to not overthink things. Assuming a new issue is related to recent car work (oil change) is a common mistake that often has people chasing their tail. Don't assume anything; only go on what you know for sure.
    Well I started small (thinking it was spilt oil) but then went extreme quickly!

I've just had too many automotive set backs and bought a couple new Scions planning on driving them for the long haul instead of $1000 beaters.

So far so good.

atticus finch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Next question for the mechanic.
    Same honda, `02 civic EX 1.7 Vtec engine. The catalytic converter has finally given up. I looked at new ones from various parts houses and also looked under the car. The point being it appears installing a new one isn't much more than disconnect whatever sensor is hooked up to it, cut off the old one and weld on a new one? Is installation that simple? If so I can do that myself. The description of the new ones say stainless construction so I'm assuming the connections for the exhaust are also stainless. Lincoln makes a rod for welding stainless to regular steel & I can do the welding myself. I have a sawzall also so cutting off the old one isn't any problem either.
    Is there anything else I should know about this or is it really that simple?

Top Bottom