• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The bestest Ford ever at a realistic price was the 1979 Offenhauser Mustang Turbo.

Yes, plastic seats & tinny body panels, but that 4cyl blueprinted Offenhauser turbo’d engine and 5-speed were terrific.

Real racing suspension, saved my life once.

On the EasTex in the wee hours, returning from Lufkin to Houston, some genius had parked a black, lights-off car in the inside lane. Doing about 80, the car was suddenly in my windshield. One reflexive jerk on the wheel, burppp; the little car changed lanes w/o even a squeal, and I missed it by 3 or 4 feet.

What a pocket rocket. . . . . .

<>

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    <>

The bestest Ford ever at a realistic price was the 1979 Offenhauser Mustang Turbo.

Yes, plastic seats & tinny body panels, but that 4cyl blueprinted Offenhauser turbo’d engine and 5-speed were terrific.

On the EasTex in the wee hours, returning from Lufkin to Houston, some genius had parked a black, lights-off car in the inside lane. Doing about 80, the car was suddenly in my windshield. One reflexive jerk on the wheel, burppp; the little car changed lanes w/o even a squeal, and I missed it by 3 or 4 feet.

<>
    How many head gaskets did you have to change?
    If this is the 4 cylender turbo that I remember, Ford had so many warranty claims that they dropped the turbo version of that engine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    How many head gaskets did you have to change?
    If this is the 4 cylender turbo that I remember, Ford had so many warranty claims that they dropped the turbo version of that engine.
    <>

None

But, when downshifted for decelleration, it “backfired” like crazy, & the mechanics at Charlie Thomas had zero clue.

<>

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    <>

<>

Were there 2 totally different versions of the 1979 turbo mustang?

ETA: Only asking because I had one myself.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Same car, but with a slightly tweaked spec by Offenhauser. Think Roush Mustang, SLP SS / Firehawk, etc. Same 2.3L Ford with a whistle, same T-5 trans, same 8.8 rear.
    Thanks.
    Never heard of the different version except from him.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Which AI wrote this? Need to make sure I don't use it in the future...

Worst: Ford Cortina (1962-1982)​

Introduced in 1962, the Ford Cortina remains an iconic automobile to this day. Its sleek design and impressive performance quickly became a favorite among drivers. Equipped with a range of features ahead of its time, such as front disc brakes and independent front suspension, the Cortina offered a smooth and enjoyable ride.

Its spacious interior, combined with the powerful engine options, made it a versatile vehicle suitable for both city driving and long-distance journeys. The Ford Cortina truly embodied the spirit of innovation and driving pleasure.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

Worst: Ford Probe (1989-1997)​

probe
    I saw an immaculate Probe driving around the other day. I love seeing well taken care of mundane cars. I always liked the way they looked, but not interested since they are FWD.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    My first company car, Ford Fairmont. Could not go over 85 mph unless it was downhill with an 80 mph tail wind. 3 on the tree, crank windows, plastic covered bench seats, AM only radio. Only time cold air came out the vents was when it was cold outside.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My first company car, Ford Fairmont. Could not go over 85 mph unless it was downhill with an 80 mph tail wind. 3 on the tree, crank windows, plastic covered bench seats, AM only radio. Only time cold air came out the vents was when it was cold outside.
    Not at all unusual in that era of automobiles. Small cars with smaller engines in attempt to save fuel.
    One of my customers bought a brand new Chevette. Her first new car and she was very proud of it.
    She brought it to the shop one late June wanting a tune up because it wouldn't do the speed limit.
    It didn't need a tune up. The undersized engine just did not have enough power to do the speed limit and run the AC at the same time.
    She took it to the dealer and they told her the same thing.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Thanks.
    Never heard of the different version except from him.
    <>

IDK

I ony had it a few months, moved to a new 1980 JEEP in October ‘79.

The little car had problems, just not head gaskets.

And, I say it did save my life. My earlier Corvette likely couldn’t have reacted so instantly.. Pickup certainly couldn’t have.

I’m not a performance car guy.

<>

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Not at all unusual in that era of automobiles. Small cars with smaller engines in attempt to save fuel.
    One of my customers bought a brand new Chevette. Her first new car and she was very proud of it.
    . She brought it to the shop one late June wanting a tune up because it wouldn't do the speed limit.
    It didn't need a tune up. The undersized engine just did not have enough power to do the speed limit and run the AC at the same time.
    She took it to the dealer and they told her the same thing.
    I hated the Ford, and most of the fleet failed to proceed by 30,000 miles so the company switched to GM
    At 2 years they issued me a new car. An Oldsmobile Omega. It has a two speed automatic, and an AC, between the two of those they ate up any chance of hitting 70 MPH. At an idle the torque converter drug down the RPM to the point you had to shut off the AC or it died. It was a traverse mounted 4 cyl with no counter rotating balancer, most of the time the gages on the dash were unreadable as it shook so bad.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    <>

IDK

I ony had it a few months, moved to a new 1980 JEEP in October ‘79.

The little car had problems, just not head gaskets.

And, I say it did save my life. My earlier Corvette likely couldn’t have reacted so instantly.. Pickup certainly couldn’t have.

I’m not a performance car guy.

<>

Mine had horrible oversteer.
    It was totalled 6 months after I got it, so not long enough for problems.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Mine had horrible oversteer.
    It was totalled 6 months after I got it, so not long enough for problems.
    No car on the Fox platform was ever going to be a good handling car, unless you completely re-fabricated the suspension. The geometry is all wrong to begin with, and there is no way to work through the compromises to make it right. Aftermarket bolt-in components will certainly help, but the factory pickup points are still in the wrong positions to do it correctly. To do it right you're cutting and welding. Ultimately you would end up with a car that looked like a Fox, but underneath it would be nothing like what Ford stamped out. I was going down that road decades back with an 87 coupe, started by welding in a full Wolfe Racecraft through-floor subframe and a 6 point Wolfe roll bar. I wanted to get the car on the road so I just said the heck with it and put in an AJE 4.6L K-member and tubular control arms in the car, and fiberglass fenders to match. That setup moves the front wheels a bit farther forward and revises pickup points a little, but it's still a compromise.

Then life caught up and the toys got sold and the house got built, marriage, kids, etc. Never finished the car, sold it all.

Oh, and yes, it was being built with an LS ;)

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I had the 79 Mustang Pace Car with a turbo 4. I’m sure it had more to do with the fact I bought it from an enlisted airman 8 years after it’s born date, but that thing was a turd. Engine grenaded within 6 months. I was out $2k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

<>
    CARE TO SHOW SOME SOURCES WHERE A FORD MUSTANG HAD AN OFFEBHAUSER ENGINE OR IS THIS JUST ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR TALL TALES? IOW'S BULLSHIT!

Top Bottom