• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    The better half and I are in the market for new wheels! First new car in 20 years, and first new-to-us in at least 10 years. Looking at the Taurus, Maxima and Avalon. Any reports on the Taurus? Reports on the other 2?

Thanks Guys!

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I think they are ugly AF but the interior is nice and comfy. Do yourself a favor and look at the LaCrosse. It's like driving your couch down the road. The infotainment center is very nice and the 2017's don't look as bland as previous versions.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Do yourself a favor and look at the LaCrosse. It's like driving your couch down the road.

Who the hell wants to drive their couch down the road?

The 2017 Taurus isn't a bad looking car, but it isn't getting great reviews (Car & Driver gave it 2 stars out of 5, and Motor Trend only 2.5 out of 5) and for $27,345 MSRP there are better options out there! Complaints were the interior is no bigger than midsize Ford Fusion, it's heavy and it's too much car for 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine! The Maxima got 5/5 with compliments on its quick acceleration and sharp styling. It is more expensive though.

The Avalon also ranked higher than the Taurus, with a strong engine, good economy and tons of features; but the lower trim models were noted to be loud inside the passenger compartment and have a stiff suspension (thus rough ride).

For just a little more than the Maxima and Avalon, you can be in an Audi A4. I drove a TDI wagon version for three weeks in Germany last October and it was great! Of course, you'll have to contend with the typical German car maintenance costs; but when it comes to real performance and handling there is nothing made in the US or Japan that comes close! I actually prefer Audis over BMWs and Mercedes, I just got back from driving an A6 TDI wagon for three weeks and while it was bigger than the A4, I preferred the latter's lighter weight and handling!

Cheers! M2

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Perhaps, like me, he's fabulously wealthy, thus a paltry $7500 isn't even a drop in the bucket.

Only the hoi polloi worry about a little more..

I say let em eat cake.

Also, why buy a car? They're impractical. Get a pickup.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Interesting concept of "just a little more". A minimum of $7500 (about 25%) more, if comparing across base MSRPs. You must be in sales.

Not per Motor Trend's fair market prices...

2017 Nissan Maxima: $32,610
    2017 Toyota Avalon: $33,300
    2017 Audi A4: $34,900

The difference between the Maxima and A6 is less than $2300...

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Interesting concept of "just a little more". A minimum of $7500 (about 25%) more, if comparing across base MSRPs. You must be in sales.

I also think the A4 has a smaller interior than the other cars.

I test drove Maxima, Taurus, Fusion and Chrysler 300, and I came out of a Passat. I was able to get about $5k off the MSRP on Mad Max (yes, I name my vehicles). Also, look at performance, if that's important to you. A 300 HP V6, 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and I get 33-34 mpg on the highway, 28 in mixed diving.

I don't think the styling is for everyone.

I liked the Taurus, but I would have had to get the SHO to get the performance I wanted. The interior also felt cramped. The ride was very nice.

The Fusion actually felt like it had more interior room than the Taurus. To get the performance of the Maxima you have to get the Sport, and most are priced near the level of the Platinum Maxima. I really liked the Fusion, but I chose the Maxima over it for mostly two reasons; I think the Nissan will be better quality, and you don't see one at every corner.

The Chrysler is .....well, a Chrysler. It just didn't seem as quality as the Nissan. It was comfortable and roomy, and you can get a lot of equipment for a good value. Chrysler's v6 offers pretty good performance, too. This is one of the few offered with a V8, which really screams.

I didn't drive any Toyota's, I am just not a fan. The Avalon looks great and reports show the 0-60 nearly as good as the Maxima. I just don't get the impression that Toyota is a sporty as I prefer.

My 2013 Passat was rock solid and roomy, had a great German ride and was attractive. The 5 cylinder engine just didn't perform like I preferred, and to get the performance in a Passat you need the SEL V6. It IS a screamer, but I could not get any VW dealers to deal.

The bottom line is that everyone has different priorities and preferences in cars. Test drive them and see which one suits YOUR needs.

I would enjoy it if you posted a review of your test drives and how you eventually make your choice. Of course, pics are given. ;)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not per Motor Trend's fair market prices...

2017 Nissan Maxima: $32,610
    2017 Toyota Avalon: $33,300
    2017 Audi A6: $34,900

The difference between the Maxima and A6 is less than $2300...

I just checked a couple of local Audi dealers, and the least expensive A6s are running at about $48k MSRP

If you meant A4, then this is what I found; starting about $38k. Some Maximas MSRP above that. It is a smaller car than the others the OP is considering.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    The better half and I are in the market for new wheels! First new car in 20 years, and first new-to-us in at least 10 years. Looking at the Taurus, Maxima and Avalon. Any reports on the Taurus? Reports on the other 2?

Thanks Guys!

You sound exactly like you guys need the Avalon. It's the modern age version of the Mercury Grand Marquis, ready to drive you to the early bird special on Sunday mornings, to Legion meetings, or to see the grand kids clear across the state. And I'm saying this with all due respect!

zUpT9sa.png

I wouldn't even look sideways at any VW/Audi product.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Buy the Audi --- if you love your dealer but hate your wallet. Get it if you love the dealer so much you want a reason to visit several times a year. German cars LOVE to go 'back home'. Motherland!

Buy the Chrysler.. Wait, don't. It's a recycled Benz e-class sedan with an American motor. They're big, they're comfortable, they're super heavy, they suck fuel, and there's a ton of 'em on the road. Overall they're relatively reliable, but 'little' things like suspension bushings will wear out well before the 10 year / 100k mark, and that will make you want to get out of it. Same with the siblings (Charger, Challenger, Magnum).

The Taurus is a Ford like any other, 'nuff said. Kind of a cheap feeling car, but it'll run at least until it looks like it doesn't.

The Toyota is the same recent recipe - cut corners on quality and keep selling to suckers who ignorantly parrot Toyota is "the best". You might take up Cross-Fit after buying one and start posting selfies from the gym.

The Nissan is a little underrated. Quality is not bad for the segment, powertrains are pretty solid. Visually they're not much to look at, which can be a bonus if you're clipping along a little faster than you should. It won't be just the cool kids, cops won't notice you either.

(this is not a real buying guide, untwist your panties and put them back in your wife's drawer).

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I just checked a couple of local Audi dealers, and the least expensive A6s are running at about $48k MSRP

If you meant A4, then this is what I found; starting about $38k. Some Maximas MSRP above that. It is a smaller car than the others the OP is considering.

Sorry, I did mean the A4 (I've corrected my post). I just got done driving an A6 for three weeks, so it's still on my mind...but between it and the A4, I'd actually rather have the latter...

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Well now that everybody has made their actual opinion known, here's the ultimate car buying guide!

1L1inlI.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Jalopnik called it fast? They seem to have the same delusions of performance as GHG. :)

Mark it down on the list of another car to be afraid of. That SHO V6 has already been pimped by the best. That Ford might be pulling 450hp. Remember, it's a v6.

The Ford Taurus is one of Ford's work horses. As an American and Ford lover. I'm proud to see it compared to both Datsun and Toyota flag ships. It's gotta being doing something right.

By all means, go look for a SHO. Tell the driver he has a V6 for commentary. Won't matter.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom