• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    When the election comes I'll vote for the lesser of two evils, as an attempt to delay the inevitable. I'll vote in the primary also but that will obviously go to Perry. I just hope RINO Romney doesn't get the nomination.
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Zembones: have you read much Ayn Rand? The crisis begins in Europe in Atlas Shrugged.

Let's play this out with some logic.

Scenario A
    Current State: US is fubar'ed with debt and overreaching government
    Path Forward: Vote for more of the same candidates because "they're electable"
    Future State: US is still fubar'ed because we didn't change anything (or it's infinitely incremental and too slow to actually help)

Scenario B
    Path Forward: Vote for Ron Paul types, and they capture a majority
    Future State: US starts finding its way back and fixes are put in place

Scenario C
    Path Forward: Vote for Ron Paul types, and they don't win a majority
    Future State: US is still fubar'ed because we didn't change anything (but probably heading to destruction even faster with big gov types in power)

Scenario D
    Path Forward: Start a revolution in the streets
    Future State: US is still fubar'ed, and revolt is annihilated inside of one week

Conclusion
    When I think through this logically it does really highlight that we're in a crappy situation. I also only see one real way out. That's to do our best to vote for small-government liberty minded individuals and support them as much as possible during the primaries and pre-election.

If anyone has some better logic that I'm just missing let me know. This is obviously extremely high level and admittedly a bit tongue in cheek. But I've played out literally 100s of scenarios in my head and from a strictly logical perspective I don't see a better path forward than voting for "Ron Paul" types.

I think you have scenario D wrong. It would be some federal LE and very small number of the armed forces vs a decent amount of armed forces siding with citizens. I think most of the armed forces would stand around on the sidelines or run home to protect their families (can't blame them). I wouldn't put it past the Washington crowd to bring in outside forces to aid them, but I think that would wind up being a mistake. It would push more military to the citizens' side, and it would rile up more citizens to resist. Their only hope would be to rely on LE to provide muscle and media to provide lies. Call it "domestic terrorism" and send in the Feds.

The question in scenario D is what we would wind up with if we won. An open power struggle like that, you can count on the most rabid of ideologues of all kinds to rush in and try filling the vacuum.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have to admit in the past I had repeated the anti Ron Paul talking points out of ignorance (maybe stupidity since I never bothered to do my own research), but now that I have I will be voting for him come hell or high water.

I don't bother arguing with the neigh sayers, they will see the light someday if they have half a brain and the ability to think for themselves.

In 2008 against a weak Republican primary cast the most Ron Paul got out of a single state was 25% of the vote. In his home state of Texas he got an abysmal 5%.

Vote your mind and speak it, but know that you're in the same boat as everyone else.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    On electability all I'm saying is that we should work hard to get people with values like Ron's to win the primaries. I'm not stuck on Ron specifically, just the ideas he advocates. If it was between Perry and Obama of course I'd vote for Perry, but I'm hoping we have better choices than that this next go round. Especially since Perry is seen as "W" Jr. by a good chunk of the US.

Ideally, there would be someone with his values who was a bit more polished and a better speaker. Then Ron could continue doing his Rep. job.

What a dilemma. The more I ponder this the more I come back to Zembones conclusion....buy more ammo

Shooterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    SE Texas
    You can't reason with Ron's followers. They are blind to him.

I believe he is a good honest man. He can do his best work right where he is.

He has stated he will not seek re-election to the Congress. A new district has been created, ( thanks a-hole PUBS in the Texas legislature ) and a lot of his base has been denied to him. Jefferson County is now part of his new district and it is historically mostly DIM ( Thanks again, a-hole PUBS )

This campaign is the last Hurrah for The Keebler Elf. ( said affectionately )

I will also vote for Dr Paul, come hell or high water, which either is possible in Texas.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    He has stated he will not seek re-election to the Congress. A new district has been created, ( thanks a-hole PUBS in the Texas legislature ) and a lot of his base has been denied to him. Jefferson County is now part of his new district and it is historically mostly DIM ( Thanks again, a-hole PUBS )

This campaign is the last Hurrah for The Keebler Elf. ( said affectionately )

I will also vote for Dr Paul, come hell or high water, which either is possible in Texas.

He's nuts if he does not seek re-election to Congress. His popularity and name recognition would result in him winning again. I've looked at the districts and the realignment there is hardly going to place him in an all Dem voter pool.

Shooterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    SE Texas
    He's nuts if he does not seek re-election to Congress. His popularity and name recognition would result in him winning again. I've looked at the districts and the realignment there is hardly going to place him in an all Dem voter pool.

Keep in mind, Zem, it would be a fight, and he has said it would be very difficult to campaign for the Presidency and for Congress, as well.

Jefferson County, where I live, has historically gone DIM even against national trends. Under the last redistricting, Beaumont is in Poe's District, which is a lot of North Houston, Humble, etc, mixed to form a fairly strong district. Paul's new district will cut a lot of his base out and include heavily DIM Jefferson County. I understand his position.

I believe he's hanging his hat on his last go at the Presidency. He doesn't need the Congress, though I do believe the Congress needs him. Even if he took the Presidency, ( I don't really believe he can ) at best he would most likely be a one term President.

Shooterman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    SE Texas
    Well... even though I don't think he has a shot at President, it would be a damn shame to lose him altogether.

I agree, but all things must come to an end. He doesn't partake in the retirement plan, nor take anything other than his salary, ( to my knowledge ) so what does he gain by continuing to beat his head against a wall?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    on a totally different note i met a lady who told me that ron paul delivered both of her sons.

that was pretty interesting. she happened to be a supporter of his as well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Ron Paul's chances of winning are getting greater everyday. If he doesn't get elected I worry the US will continue in a downwards spiral.

Sure they are, right along with my odds of winning the Texas lottery!

Maybe those who actually think Ron Paul has any chance at the White House should read this!

Or, just to freak them all out entirely, this!

Barely a week into his 2012 presidential campaign, Rick Perry has already assumed the mantle of the de facto Republican front-runner, emerging in the latest Gallup national poll with a huge, 12-point margin of support over Mitt Romney.

The poll, conducted Aug. 17-21, found that 29% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents now support the Texas governor, compared with 17% for Mr. Romney, 13% for Texas Rep. Ron Paul and 10% for Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann.

Now explain to me again how Ron Paul's chances are improving?!? Oh, I see, he's aheard of the cheerleader from Minnesota, the same state the elected Jesse Ventura as their governor!

Oh, and I love the "Vote for Ron Paul or America is fucked!" approach his followers are adopting! If they do actually believe that, then maybe they'll all when he doesn't get elected!

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I was saddened to hear he was not running again in Dist 22. I live in is district. He would have no problem getting reelected when most of the District is still in
    Conservative Fort Bend County. 2008 Primary here was a non-issue. The Race had already been decided for Mccain after Huckabee dropped out. I hope our primary vote counts more next year.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom