TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    There's two issues with Ron Paul

1) He's not electable.

2) His foreign policy isn't reasonable.

The rest of his policies are really good, but his ability to do 1/10th of what he says is nerfed by Congress. I just don't think Ron Paul would be the massive change people are looking for him to be. They are kinda overlooking the ability his office holds. We certainly could do worse, but it's a moot point ... he won't get sufficient vote to even be on the Republican ticket.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I've always believed Ron had some really good ideas and was on the right side of 2A, but the guy is a NUT. He has exactly zero chance of ever seeing the oval office unless he's invited to a tea party there.

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    "Ron Paul is one of the outstanding leaders fighting for a stronger national defense. As a former Air Force officer, he knows well the needs of our armed forces, and he always puts them first. We need to keep him fighting for our country." ~ Ronald Reagan

G.W. Bush also ran and won on non-interventionism and limited government. Too bad he didn't follow what he preached. Now what do have, Romney and Perry, puhlease, it's just more of the same.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Without a doubt, what we are going to get is more of the same - regardless of the party that is elected.

Anybody looking to Washington for improvement is unfortunately living in a dreamworld. I do wish this was not the case, but we are well past the point of no return here folks. It's only a matter of time before an economical collapse. Who knows where it will start in the world, but my bets are on Europe. Once that happens, the house of cards will fall and nothing anybody can do will stop it.

I only hope we buy enough time so that it is decades away instead of weeks.

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Without a doubt, what we are going to get is more of the same - regardless of the party that is elected.

Anybody looking to Washington for improvement is unfortunately living in a dreamworld. I do wish this was not the case, but we are well past the point of no return here folks. It's only a matter of time before an economical collapse. Who knows where it will start in the world, but my bets are on Europe. Once that happens, the house of cards will fall and nothing anybody can do will stop it.

I couldn't agree more. It's time for me to get some land.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I've generally supported Ron but, in my estimation, he has gotten soft lately on some issues. The Congress controlls the purse strings not the POTUS. I say we keep him where he can do the most good and least harm.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Ron Paul is a constitutionalist... I guess it's OK to call someone who understands the oath to protect and defend the constitution a NUT. The constitution is non-interventionalist.

If you don't like the constitution, propose an amendment.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I am a quite rational person. I never thought we would be this bad off as a nation. We are screwed.

Buy ammo.

I can attest to his rationality. Hearing Zembonez say this says a lot. Like a car headed at a brick wall at 200mph, and the driver keeps pressing the gas pedal harder. The only way we can turn things around is with some pretty serious, substantial, controversial and politically unpopular changes in our government. Considering most of the people in Congress or The Whitehouse, I don't see anyone having the balls to actually attempt some of the changes necessary. It's inevitable at this point.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock

Amen! Ive got my bases covered.

Ron Paul needs to stay where he is, along with alex jones.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Let's play this out with some logic.

Scenario A
    Current State: US is fubar'ed with debt and overreaching government
    Path Forward: Vote for more of the same candidates because "they're electable"
    Future State: US is still fubar'ed because we didn't change anything (or it's infinitely incremental and too slow to actually help)

Scenario B
    Path Forward: Vote for Ron Paul types, and they capture a majority
    Future State: US starts finding its way back and fixes are put in place

Scenario C
    Path Forward: Vote for Ron Paul types, and they don't win a majority
    Future State: US is still fubar'ed because we didn't change anything (but probably heading to destruction even faster with big gov types in power)

Scenario D
    Path Forward: Start a revolution in the streets
    Future State: US is still fubar'ed, and revolt is annihilated inside of one week

Conclusion
    When I think through this logically it does really highlight that we're in a crappy situation. I also only see one real way out. That's to do our best to vote for small-government liberty minded individuals and support them as much as possible during the primaries and pre-election.

If anyone has some better logic that I'm just missing let me know. This is obviously extremely high level and admittedly a bit tongue in cheek. But I've played out literally 100s of scenarios in my head and from a strictly logical perspective I don't see a better path forward than voting for "Ron Paul" types.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    So let's see do I want:

A) A slow painful death of our country
    B) A slow painful recovery of our country
    C) A relatively fast but painful death of our country
    D) Immediate death of my actual person

ADD: My oversimplified and probably inaccurate math tells me we're there's a 75% chance we're screwed and a 25% chance we make it through a painful recovery. I'm an optimist so I endorse guys like Ron Paul.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    They are kinda overlooking the ability his office holds.
    Yep, we need about 200 more of him... If hell did freeze over and he became POTUS, it would for sure be interesting to see his SCOTUS appointments. A whole lot of bad law could be undone rather quickly and precedent set for the future. It still pisses me off Obama got TWO. I feel that's going to continue to screw us even when he's long gone from the oval office.

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The funniest thing about this post is that I just said support Ron Paul. I didn't even say for president. I will be voting for him, even if I have to write him in. Anyways, hats off the Ron on the gun bill.

I'm on the fence as far as options for this nation. I tend to agree with Mexican_Hippie, but I just don't see the masses getting behind this kind of effort. I think it is much more likely that the public demands more the same "magic" that got us all into this mess.

Rockfish Dave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Michigan
    I have to admit in the past I had repeated the anti Ron Paul talking points out of ignorance (maybe stupidity since I never bothered to do my own research), but now that I have I will be voting for him come hell or high water.

I don't bother arguing with the neigh sayers, they will see the light someday if they have half a brain and the ability to think for themselves.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    There's two issues with Ron Paul

1) He's not electable.

2) His foreign policy isn't reasonable.

The rest of his policies are really good, but his ability to do 1/10th of what he says is nerfed by Congress. I just don't think Ron Paul would be the massive change people are looking for him to be. They are kinda overlooking the ability his office holds. We certainly could do worse, but it's a moot point ... he won't get sufficient vote to even be on the Republican ticket.

this

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom