Flying into Denver with a checked firearm..shit has already started..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Checking in with AA in Abilene
    They had no problem with the declaration
    But they put a special green and white striped sticker on the handle and said the bag would not be on the carousel
    They said an AA employee would be there with the bag to make sure that only I retrieve it..
    This sounds like horseshit and I just know either it's gonna be on the carousel with my other bag or it's gonna be a shitty trip..because it never happens as smoothly as they say it will.
    ARJ Defense ad

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Years ago I traveled to Orlando from Albany NY, checked my guns and they put a big sticker saying firearms. Thought that was a red flag. Get to baggage, no gun comes out on the carousel. I had to retrieve it from an office, okay that's safe. On the way back I figure okay pick it up in an office at Albany. Nope came down the carousel. Albany doesn't check bag claims anyone could have walked out with it. That was in the 80's, maybe different today.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Back in the 80s, I had a friend who worked baggage for United in Chicago and he told me stories- employees opening up luggage, checking out what is inside, he had actually seen items taken. If someone gets pissed off at a bag (difficult to handle, an edge cuts them), they'll just send it to Japan or someplace. I hate checking in bags...

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    But they put a special green and white striped sticker on the handle and said the bag would not be on the carousel
    They said an AA employee would be there with the bag to make sure that only I retrieve it..
    This sounds like horseshit and I just know either it's gonna be on the carousel with my other bag or it's gonna be a shitty trip..because it never happens as smoothly as they say it will.
    They arent allowed to put ANYTHING on the bag denoting a firearm or special handling as far as I remember the process.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

It’s the more normal way nowadays. Keeps the bag from getting lost in transit. I’ve had better luck getting my bags on time and not destroyed with a firearm in them.

But I’ve also changed to travelling with a carryon for clothes and the guns, knives, and ammo go into cube shaped pelican cases and are the only thing that gets checked.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I have 2 large heavy duty ABS samsonite rollers with locks on top and both sides.

I always c j neck my gun inside one of those in a seperate metal lock box usually disassembled with the ammo in original packaging.

They never were allowed to tag the outside with anything denoting special handling or firearm. That's begging for it to get stolen.

TSA has never called mo to open it.

I usually travel with 2 guns that way. Never had a problem at Love, DFW or Sky Harbor in PHX.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    49 CFR 1540 spells out the only way a firearm can be transported in commercial aircraft.

CFR § 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under § 1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless -

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

This statute is different that what TSA and the airlines spew about TSA locks are approved for baggage with a firearm and I don’t know how they get away with that.

Note there is nothing in the CFR or the USC about using or preventing use of labels/tags/etc.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The times I’ve flown with a gun they had a special place to retrieve it. Never had them placed on the carousel.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom