Texas SOT

Flying into Denver with a checked firearm..shit has already started..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    It’s the more normal way nowadays. Keeps the bag from getting lost in transit. I’ve had better luck getting my bags on time and not destroyed with a firearm in them.

But I’ve also changed to travelling with a carryon for clothes and the guns, knives, and ammo go into cube shaped pelican cases and are the only thing that gets checked.
    My BIL used to put a starter pistol in his checked luggage and declared it in order to prevent loss of the luggage.
    Texas SOT

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    US code prohibits visible marking of bags containing firearms.
    No it does not, at least not how you said it. It prohibits markings being placed on the outside of lugage that specifically indicates the luggage contains a firearm.

"No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm." Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

So, legally, if the airline places a tag on the baggage containing a firearm but also uses that same exact type of tag on other luggage that requires special handling but that does not contain a firearm, they probably are not in violation of anything because the tag only indicates the luggage needs special attention and does not indicate that it contains a firearm.

As far as special handling goes, it depends on the airline and sometimes also from which airport you travel because not all airlines do it the same way at every airport. When I flew to Alaska with my son back in 2016 and we got our other baggage from the carousel, our firearms case was not on the carousel but was with an airline employee inn their baggage room. No one told me this before we got on our flight and it was stressful for several minutes until they made an announcement to come retrieve the case (or was it I went to the baggage room to check on it, damned if I remember which for sure). On our return flight, I expected the same but instead our case was personally delivered to us by an airline employee as I recall (and I think that is the flight for which they made the announcement in the baggage area for me to ID myself to an airline employee and then they brought it out to me). On some other flights I have taken, nothing special was done. No one (with one possible exception I seem to vaguely recall - and that was long ago) has tried to place a red tag, stating the bag contains firearms, on the outside of my luggage in a very long time.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I had a friend who worked baggage for United in Chicago and he told me stories- employees opening up luggage, checking out what is inside, he had actually seen items taken. If someone gets pissed off at a bag (difficult to handle, an edge cuts them), they'll just send it to Japan or someplace.
    This is specifically why you want to check a gun in your bag. When checking a firearm, the case needs to have locks that only you have the key to. Those useless TSA locks that anyone can open don't even qualify. If luggage with a gun in it goes missing, there will be an investigation, so the thieves that work in the luggage area won't even mess with it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Checking in with AA in Abilene
    They had no problem with the declaration
    But they put a special green and white striped sticker on the handle and said the bag would not be on the carousel
    They said an AA employee would be there with the bag to make sure that only I retrieve it..
    This sounds like horseshit and I just know either it's gonna be on the carousel with my other bag or it's gonna be a shitty trip..because it never happens as smoothly as they say it will.
    I've had it happen both ways. Wait at the carousel just in case they send it that way, but more than likely it'll be in the special luggage claim area.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Just Another Example Of Federal Law is Optionable:

(e)
    It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter.
    No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Turned out okay

What I discovered AFTER the flight is they put a green/white stripes oversize/overweight tag on the bag...even though it was not

What that does is forces it to come up differently not on the automated system but right at an office by baggage claim and you have to show claimcheck and ID to get it

If only they would have explained it to me when I checked it in at Abilene I would not have been so apprehensive about it.

I have never had this happen in 20 plus years of checking a firearm thru.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ..I have never had this happen in 20 plus years of checking a firearm thru.

0546a92283ec25d5f7166952ea848377.jpg

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I helped my son move to Las Vegas a few years ago and then flew home. I was on one of those cheap airlines and I checked my pistol in along with a bag. The girl at the counter rolled her eyes when I told her I was checking a pistol. "Why didn't you just put it in your suitcase like everybody else?" I was a little taken aback by that, but I pointed out that it was the law. "Yeah, but in Vegas it happens all the time." I took a deep breath and replied, "OK, that may be true, but I'm going to follow the law, so let's check the pistol in like we're supposed to. She reluctantly did the paperwork and then she told me to wait in that part of the terminal for awhile in case the security folks needed to talk to me. How long is "awhile"? "Well, at least 30 minutes. If they don't call you, there's no problem." I waited there until everybody had cleared out and I was literally the only person in the room. I had a tracking tag in it, so if anyone claimed it got lost, I could prove where it was. Despite all the fuss, it came out on the belt with all the other luggage.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I helped my son move to Las Vegas a few years ago and then flew home. I was on one of those cheap airlines and I checked my pistol in along with a bag. The girl at the counter rolled her eyes when I told her I was checking a pistol. "Why didn't you just put it in your suitcase like everybody else?" I was a little taken aback by that, but I pointed out that it was the law. "Yeah, but in Vegas it happens all the time." I took a deep breath and replied, "OK, that may be true, but I'm going to follow the law, so let's check the pistol in like we're supposed to. She reluctantly did the paperwork and then she told me to wait in that part of the terminal for awhile in case the security folks needed to talk to me. How long is "awhile"? "Well, at least 30 minutes. If they don't call you, there's no problem." I waited there until everybody had cleared out and I was literally the only person in the room. I had a tracking tag in it, so if anyone claimed it got lost, I could prove where it was. Despite all the fuss, it came out on the belt with all the other luggage.
    Similar to what I went through. The guy checking me in was a bit put out that I was making him do all the extra steps the “ law“ called for.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    The times that I've flown, sometimes I have to go to the baggage claim area to pick up my bag and sometimes it comes to the carousel. But, every time I was told that I'd have to pick it up at the claim office. Now, I just wait at the carousel until all the bags come off then go to the claim office.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

The tracking tag is brilliant ..great thinking

I don't use an apple phone but I do have an I Pad

Next time I'm gonna get some of the apple tracking tags and put in all my bags

I need to see if Android has similar tags to Apple

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The tracking tag is brilliant ..great thinking

I don't use an apple phone but I do have an I Pad

Next time I'm gonna get some of the apple tracking tags and put in all my bags

I need to see if Android has similar tags to Apple

Pretty sure those tags need to be in bluetooth range to work.

Just throw and old cell phone with ‘find my phone’ or other tracker app in the container, underneath the phone, then you don’t have to worry about BT range.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Pretty sure those tags need to be in bluetooth range to work.

Just throw and old cell phone with ‘find my phone’ or other tracker app in the container, underneath the phone, then you don’t have to worry about BT range.
    Ahh..
    I know they make RFID tags that use GPS also.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ahh..

They do. Still need an RFID reader to excite them. Seriously the most common and reliable solution is an old cellphone in the case. So long as there’s enough battery power to survive constantly looking for a cell tower while in the cargo hold, if the bag later goes missing you’ll at least (for a while) be able
    To track it.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Ahh..
    We use to put “ tile “ in my Mom’s purse and her keys and phone to locate them when she misplaced them. My Sis got them off Amazon and had an App on her phone.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom