• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Also, between trust cost, can cost & stamp cost you will be hard pressed to get it for $1,000-$1,200.
    Yeah, I cant figure out why cans are so expensive. I know there is some advanced r&d going into some of them, but a basic can would cost all of $20 to build... Can you make your own with a form 1 like you would make a SBR?

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    You can make your own but safety is a big issue and that r&d goes into tricks of the trade to make them nice and quiet in a small versatile package. If you just wanted to do a thread on and you had the proper tools then it is not a big deal. But don't forget how much pressure we are talking about!

check out www.silencertalk.com there is all types of form 1 stuff over there.

jeremy

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I cant figure out why cans are so expensive. I know there is some advanced r&d going into some of them, but a basic can would cost all of $20 to build... Can you make your own with a form 1 like you would make a SBR?

When you employ engineers to design them, people to ship them, sales staff to sell them, people to build them and check them, the multi-axis machines for the stacks, the lathes, the patents, the store location, the electric bills, etc. it's alot more than $20.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    check out www.silencertalk.com there is all types of form 1 stuff over there.
    Thanks! I'll check that out. Yeah, I know there is always a cost of doing business and some of the engineering that's going into modern suppressors is quite impressive. I'm not knocking any of that, but anyone with a little metal fabrication skill can make a basic can. I'm a DYI nerd... can't help but make my own stuff.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    A couple of things. On the trust, give me a call. I would appreciate your business.

On the suppressor dealer: D=talk to David C. at the Gun Store LLC. He and Keith Norman (NFA Investments) are responsible for my NFA addiction and are good people.

On the can: the AAC 762SD is propably the way to go. It now uses the 51 tooth mount which is available in all the configurations that you would need. i.e. for 7,72 & 6.8: 5/b x 24 and either flashhider or brake. for 556 it is avialable in .5 x 28 thread pitch and as a FH or Brake.

the 762SD is in teh ballpark for what a QA can should weigh i.e. 19oz.

the 762SD is freaking quiet and durable.

Basically, the 762SD is the way to go for a first suppressor when you want to use it on multiple platforms.

It also retails for $875.00 which is very reasonable compared to the surefire (1900) the T-Beast and sandstorm (which are in a different catagory due to the thread mount issue).

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    This is my latest video:

the last can is the 762SD.

The Osprey 45 is a great multi platform suppressor. It is the only option if you are wanting to go with a super efficeint multi platform can.

wattsdk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Spring
    22 long rifle is a very dirty round. It will fill the can up after 10,000-15,000 rounds. If you want to shoot 9mm,357 sig and 40 s&w, The I would suggest a Opsrey. If you buy a can to shoot 9mm on up, then don't shoot 22 l.r. thru it. If you want to shoot 22 l.r. Make sure it is a can you can take apart to clean. I made the mistake of buying a sealed 22 l.r. (Gemtech Outback) as my first can. Great little can, but it does/will get filled up with junk/lead and then I will have a expensive paperweight. I went out and bought a AAC Element. It is a take apart 22 can, that you can shoot 17 hmr and 22 mags also thru it. As far as caliber specific part of your question. Most pistol cans are due to thread patterns, You can buy an adaptor, but make sure you buy a very good one. You don't want to buy cheap and have it not be concetric to bore and get a baffle strike. As far centerfire cans, Buy the for the largest caliber you plan on shooting.. I have 3, 30 caliber cans but don't own 1 223 can. I have a AAC 762-sd quick attach can I use on both my 308 semi and most of my ar's. I then own 2 thread on 30 cal cans I use on everything from 22-250,223,223wssm,243wssm,25wssm,270, 7rem,308, 300 win, 300 Rum,

Top Bottom