• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Spicewood
    I'm finally able to afford a suppressor and would appreciate any suggestions on Austin area class 3 dealers that are gtg and willing to help with forms and such. I would like to get a suppressor that I can use on both a 68 and 556. My budget is $1000-$1200, stamp included. Any recommendations? Thanks.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    I would go with "Sc-Texas" here and go with one of his Texas NFA gun trusts. WAAAAAAAAAY easier to do and I do believe he's out of houston. His real name is Sean Cody and his Law Offices ad is just above this thread in the upper right corner!!

subhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    tyler, TX
    Call sean and get a trust and get a 30 cal suppressor with quick attach, your not giving up much in suppression in those calibers and you open yourself up to more mounting options to the max pressure the manufacture allows on the 30 cal can ( in other words you can run a 17rem to 30-06 with just one can) . I run an aac 7.62sd on an ar and its actually better suppression than the aac 416 suppressor specifically set up for the 5.56. Volume is the name of the game, the more gas you trap the less pop you get. Most people just want a more compact package for their setups, which is the only sacrifice of going with a larger caliber. If I only had one suppressor it would be a 30 cal and just move it from gun to gun. In the end just do what your pocket book will allow and listen to as many can varieties as possible in person to make a decision which is right for you.

jovatr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Houston
    Get a trust. You can get a Phantom 7.62 quick disconnect can and run it on multiple calibers. I run mine on an AK, my ARs and next up a 308 bolt gun. Impressive sound suppression and seems to be built like a tank.

wattsdk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Spring
    I live in Houston and have bought 2 supressors thru the Gun store in Cedar Park. Good Prices, they will help walk you thru it. Most important part of the suppressor game is to buy from a dealer that has it in stock. Saves a lot of wait time.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I advise you figure out what you want first, and then where to get it.
    Some dealers will stock more than others and may have additional fees they charge. We may also know ways to save you a bunch of money.

As for your suppressor choice, you have a few things to consider.
    First, is 6.8 the largest caliber weapon you wil use it on.
    If not, look for a .308 suppressor. It will work on your 6.8 and your 5.56. The only drawbacks are size, weight. In some cases, also cost.
    If 6.8 is as big as you will go, i would just recommend an AAC M4-2000 in 6.8. It will work on both guns and weigh less and be a little shorter than a .308 can

As always, call us with questions. We can always answer questions better on the phone than online.

Thanks,
    Robert

stacyp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Shark Suppressors. Titanium shark model. The thread adapters make them awesome. You can change the thread adapter to move the can from 3/4, 5/8, and 1/2 thread pitch. This will allow you to use the can on anything from a .22 to the .308 and its feather light. David Whitson, owner of JDW MFG is a good guy to deal with as well. Call him on the phone and deal directly with him, not a store or employee. If he doesnt answer the call, leave a message and he will call you back. you can get his info from the SHark Suppressors website.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    is 6.8 the largest caliber weapon you wil use it on.
    If not, look for a .308 suppressor. It will work on your 6.8 and your 5.56.

Something I wasn't aware of, suppressors are not caliber specific? Is there a single suppressor that will work for .22, 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Something I wasn't aware of, suppressors are not caliber specific? Is there a single suppressor that will work for .22, 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W?
    Use the .40S&W (the biggest hole) for them all if it can handle the .357sig pressure per the manufacturer. What you'll find though is that the suppressor will be bigger and possibly heavier than the smaller caliber dedicated suppressor. A 9mm suppressor looks huge on a .22lr but it works.

One note about .22lr or rimfire. They are dirty dirty little rounds. Lead and buildup so I'd consider that as well as the size when using on a larger caliber. Not to mention the threading variable.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Use the .40S&W (the biggest hole) for them all if it can handle the .357sig pressure per the manufacturer. What you'll find though is that the suppressor will be bigger and possibly heavier than the smaller caliber dedicated suppressor. A 9mm suppressor looks huge on a .22lr but it works.

One note about .22lr or rimfire. They are dirty dirty little rounds. Lead and buildup so I'd consider that as well as the size when using on a larger caliber. Not to mention the threading variable.

Why would you suggest a .40S&W instead of a .45?
    I got an Osprey45 with different pistons to fit .45, .40 & 9mm.....then got a Sparrow for my .22.

Also, between trust cost, can cost & stamp cost you will be hard pressed to get it for $1,000-$1,200.

....just my .02

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    It's for a Sig P226, available caliber conversions are .22LR, 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W. A .45 caliber suppressor might be handy down the road, but I'd think there was some performance reduction with the smaller calibers through larger bore unit.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's for a Sig P226, available caliber conversions are .22LR, 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W. A .45 caliber suppressor might be handy down the road, but I'd think there was some performance reduction with the smaller calibers through larger bore unit.

There is a difference, mine was purchased for a .45 & the ability to use on the smaller calibers was just a bonus.
    If you bought one for a .40 or 9mm, then obviously you could not use it on a .45, but you also need sub-sonic ammo for the best results,
    as a .45 is inherently sub-sonic.....just other things to think about.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    I was thinking .22 subsonic for best performance, the rest were just to try and get more mileage from the purchase. Might be best to just get the .22 and not worry about the rest. Additional advantage is a shorter suppressor.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I was thinking .22 subsonic for best performance, the rest were just to try and get more mileage from the purchase. Might be best to just get the .22 and not worry about the rest. Additional advantage is a shorter suppressor.

.22lr out of a "short barrel" WaltherP22 remains sub-sonic as well.........that's what I use....no need to buy the sub-sonic ammo.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    The aac 762 is great on .308 and .223. yhm phantom you can shoot on just about any 30 cal mags and anything smaller.. they say they are just about indestructible but they are going to be heavier than the aac.

Go osprey .45 for pistol can.. NO REASON not to!! They put that can on the market like a month after I ordered my yhm cobra .45. The cobra is a great can and very cheap to get it setup for any threads but you have to put water in it for it to sound acceptable(my opinion) the osprey is great dry and amazing wet and then you can stick that sucker on any pistol as people mentioned above.

My two cents. Good luck!

Also +1 on Sean Cody on the trust. A few things to be careful of!
    Make sure forms are done correctly
    Make sure you make copies of them!
    Put your can serial # on the check! Do a check not a money order as you have proof they cashed it!
    Make sure you do delivery confirmation so they cannot say the didn't receive the package!
    Again Make A copy of your trust and send that to them Not the INKED version!

Things I have learned over the years :)

Top Bottom