• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Used to be they'd reimburse you some for a generator if it was for "medically necessary" equipment. They have waived that for Beryl. If you bought a 5500 Watt or less generator between July 5th and July 20th they'll reimburse you for the market value up to $3,000!!!!!!!!!

Chaps my ass.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    A 5500 watt generator won't run a house it will only run a few items.
    If they are going to do this they need to up the ani to a 13000 watt generator.
    Don't really need a whole house generator for a situation like Beryl. wouldn't a 5500watt generator run a window AC unit, a refrigerator, and a few other basics like cell phone charging, a few lights, and maybe a couple other medical things all at once?

I wonder how many people will get a free genny and try to sell it on facebook market place.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Don't really need a whole house generator for a situation like Beryl. wouldn't a 5500watt generator run a window AC unit, a refrigerator, and a few other basics like cell phone charging, a few lights, and maybe a couple other medical things all at once?

I wonder how many people will get a free genny and try to sell it on facebook market place.
    Depends on fridge and size of A/C
    The letter states they are to waive the medical only part of the program.
    I have a 2900 ft home and had to run 1100 watt and a 4500watt to run most all the house excluding water heater, washer/ dryer, stove and microwave.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Doesn't take as much to run essentials (frig, freezer, fans or small space heaters).

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Mine is 3800 watts, it ran upright freezer, refrigerator, box fan, coffee pot, and television.
    No problemas.
    Had I known more about generators when I bought this one a couple of years ago I would have
    got a much bigger one.
    At least I got dual fuel and used propane.

Last edited:

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    Depends on fridge and size of A/C
    I disagree. A standard 120v outlet in American homes can only suck a maximum of 1800 or 2400 watts, depending on the breaker/outlet/wiring you have of 15 or 20 amps respectively. Most houses have 15 amp outlets. So a refrigerator and a window AC unit will likely be taking down a theoretical maximum of 3600 watts at full tilt. Same goes for consumer space heaters, but those at least have a propane alternative to avoid a generator.

A central AC unit will be using more wattage, but you'd be stupid to be cooling your entire house when nearly the entire city is without power. A luxury sure, but not what a "portable" generator was ever designed to handle. Cental ACs on a 220v circuit take up around 5000 watts. Having a comfortable living room, dining room, kitchen, 4 bedrooms, office, bathrooms, laundry rooms etc likely isn't high on the order of needs during a catastrophe, power company being morons notwithstanding.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    1722191764693.png

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Don't forget, when the AC, and refrigerator compressors kick on at the same time, it's going to be a heavier draw, than just running wattage.
    Looked up the data before I bought. 3.6 kW can easily handle peak loads from frig and freezer (simultaneously) plus run a couple of space heaters.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I disagree. A standard 120v outlet in American homes can only suck a maximum of 1800 or 2400 watts, depending on the breaker/outlet/wiring you have of 15 or 20 amps respectively. Most houses have 15 amp outlets. So a refrigerator and a window AC unit will likely be taking down a theoretical maximum of 3600 watts at full tilt. Same goes for consumer space heaters, but those at least have a propane alternative to avoid a generator.

A central AC unit will be using more wattage, but you'd be stupid to be cooling your entire house when nearly the entire city is without power. A luxury sure, but not what a "portable" generator was ever designed to handle. Cental ACs on a 220v circuit take up around 5000 watts. Having a comfortable living room, dining room, kitchen, 4 bedrooms, office, bathrooms, laundry rooms etc likely isn't high on the order of needs during a catastrophe, power company being morons notwithstanding.

why is that?

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    seems anyone living in a hurricane prone area should identify stores with generators and generous return policies. days before landfall they should buy an “extra” generator. Wait for reimbursement then sell it. If no reimbursement from fema just simply return it and get your money back. Anyway or opportunity you can get your tax money back you ought to take it.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

Well when some have been there done that you learn something you thought you already thought you knew.
    And we can agree to disagree.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    seems anyone living in a hurricane prone area should identify stores with generators and generous return policies. days before landfall they should buy an “extra” generator. Wait for reimbursement then sell it. If no reimbursement from fema just simply return it and get your money back. Anyway or opportunity you can get your tax money back you ought to take it.
    Integrity. I have to look in the mirror every morning and I don’t consider that in the spirit of the program. I passed on an insurance paid roof when I had one installed two years ago. On one of the quotes the roofer said on xx date we had hail and he could get it covered. I passed on that and on his company. My roof aged out. No free lunches. We all pay for it. That’s just my view.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Doesn't work. They have 20% "restocking" fees, or flat out refuse returns, or a very short return period. They are wise to it.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dom765
    Top Bottom