• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Generator reimbursement amounts will be determined on a case-by-case basis, according to Kelly.
    That just means different payouts based on how much you spent (up to $3,000), when you spent it (specific dates), and your documentation.

What annoys me a lot is it was declared after-the-fact.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    That just means different payouts based on how much you spent (up to $3,000), when you spent it (specific dates), and your documentation.

What annoys me a lot is it was declared after-the-fact.
    I’m glad they didn’t tell people beforehand. If they announced it before hand every single person who saw the announcement would be out buying $3k Hondas. Tax payers being forced to pick up the bill shouldn’t be the deciding factor for someone to go buy a generator.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You really don't need much generator for essentials. Your fridge only draws about 200 watts while running, maybe 3x that on startup. The wattage of a portable 120v air conditioner or 120v window unit will be in the neighborhood of BTU / 10, so your typical 12,000 BTU unit will draw somewhere near 1200 watts. Lights, we're all familiar with wattage ratings there. Fans don't take much power either, maybe 50 watts or so unless you're running a box fan full tilt. CPAP machines and other medical stuff, I have no bearing on those. But this is likely where FEMA is setting their limit when funding generators, and not trying to get people free 13kWh units.

If you want to run your whole house on a generator, you're typically only looking at what it takes to run your HVAC and adding some headroom. Adding a soft start will help tremendously, and gets a lot of people able to run everything on a portable. Even with a standby generator, soft starts are a good idea. My 26kW would surge hard when the AC would kick on, especially if both units decided to start at the same time. I didn't measure it, but the nameplate LRA is like 110A. Yeah, I should have run the thermostat wires through the transfer panel so it could at least stage their startup, but I didn't. But, after installing soft starts on both units the surge issue is completely resolved. Dropped my compressor starting loads to 32.4 and 32.7 amps. Less than 8kW per unit. While running, the compressors draw 9.1A and 11.5A. That doesn't count the condenser fans or air handler blowers, and honestly I don't have a bearing on their requirements.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

A life along our South Coast has taught us to just consider a ‘’built-in’’ large natural gas whole home generator as an integral part of our home.

Caveats: Make sure that all home circuits are well above ‘’code’ rated capability, especially if you use whole home electric heat. Make sure that generator base is at least as high as home’s floors. In earthquake areas, use a dual fuels system. Remember your out-buildings. Buy a generator of slightly larger capacity than needed.

<>

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I’m glad they didn’t tell people beforehand. If they announced it before hand every single person who saw the announcement would be out buying $3k Hondas. Tax payers being forced to pick up the bill shouldn’t be the deciding factor for someone to go buy a generator.
    Well you are right about that I guess. But not everybody got a fair shot at it. The winners and losers were decided after-the-fact. It's like "student loan forgiveness". Some get punished for not running up excessive debt. I guess it just all chaps my ass one way or the other.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    NorTex
    You really don't need much generator for essentials.
    Listen, "essentials" is different from person to person. Some need an oxygen generator or CPAP to breathe while others, like me, might need a blender or frozen slushie machine and my Xbox in addition to the air conditioners, refrigerators, and foot massage tubs. In an emergency I need some mental health aides and I just refuse to be uncomfortable or bored.

(sarcasm, but maybe not really)

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Listen, "essentials" is different from person to person. Some need an oxygen generator or CPAP to breathe while others, like me, might need a blender or frozen slushie machine and my Xbox in addition to the air conditioners, refrigerators, and foot massage tubs. In an emergency I need some mental health aides and I just refuse to be uncomfortable or bored.

(sarcasm, but maybe not really)
    Wonder what my margarita machine pulls......

Top Bottom