• Burke

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    OMG! Isn't water cheaper?

Duvel for me!

What kind of beer is Duvel?

I'm not a beer snob or hipster, so I don't know much about the essence, body, or whatever else people use to describe beer. I like Keystone and usually have to order Coors light at a bar. Beyond that, I don't really like much... Especially dark beers

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    What kind of beer is Duvel?

I'm not a beer snob or hipster, so I don't know much about the essence, body, or whatever else people use to describe beer. I like Keystone and usually have to order Coors light at a bar. Beyond that, I don't really like much... Especially dark beers

Duvel is the best beer I have ever drank in my 55+ years of drinking beer. It's not cheap (and I still do drink some cheap beer also.) Don't drink more than two beers and operate machinery (it's actually classified as an ale and is made in Belgium). Pour it into a glass very, very slowly. Trust me on this. :green:

www.duvel.com

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I wouldn't generalize folks as being a hipster or snob for loving beer and trying to find the best that they like. I have made an attempt to try every Texas craft beer I come across to see what different ideas people have. Some are terrible some are great, most are mediocre in my opinion. Buffalo Butt from Rahr and Sons is my current favorite.

Burke

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    I'm not saying everyone that likes microbrews or craft beers are hipsters or snobs... Sorry if that's the way you took that. I tend to not be very adventurous when it comes to food and drink, but I am willing to try new things.

However I know that I don't like sushi, dark stout beer, supreme pizza, or squash, so no matter the type or preparation style, I'm out

M109Dreamer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    For me I light just about any Light Beer, for sipping around the house. Dont venture far from that except a Blue Moon or Boulavard Wheat. But if Im not interested in sippin all day a good ole glass of JD or Crown for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

RevolverBuff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    Round Rock
    I'm not saying everyone that likes microbrews or craft beers are hipsters or snobs... Sorry if that's the way you took that. I tend to not be very adventurous when it comes to food and drink, but I am willing to try new things.

However I know that I don't like sushi, dark stout beer, supreme pizza, or squash, so no matter the type or preparation style, I'm out

I second that Duvel is really good stuff. Leffe is also a very good, widely available belgian ale. One of my favorites.

There are hundreds of outstanding Belgian ales. A note of caution: many belgian ales tend to be really strong in alcohol content and also have a very distinctive flavor quite different than most American micro-brews and German beers. Some of them like Chimay and various trappist ales might be a bit of an acquired taste.

There are a lot of beers you could try if you like domestic beers like Keystone or Coors Light which are mass-produced pilsner style beers. Very light. You might also want to consider trying a Pale Ale or Pilsner (frequently shortened to Pils) label or maybe a hefeweizen which is a very drinkable wheat beer originating from Bavaria in Southern Germany:
    - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    - Sierra Nevada Summerfest (pilsner)
    - Sam Adams Boston Lager
    - Any german hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner, Paulaner, etc)
    - German Kolsch is also an excellent easy drinking choice, originates from the German city of Cologne in the Rheinland
    - Many of the Japanese beers are also excellent light beer choices (Kirin Ichiban, Sapporo, etc)

Spec's is a great place if you want to experiment with individual beers rather than buying a whole six pack only to find out it's something you don't like. Great selection.

RevolverBuff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2016
    Round Rock
    For me it's really hard to pick one favorite. Sometimes it depends on how hot it is outside. For hot weather:
    - Gin & Tonic is my hands down favorite
    - A good Bavarian hefeweizen or Belgian ale like a trappist or saison

Otherwise a glass of fine sipping tequila or single-malt scotch. For mixed drinks a Whiskey Sour.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Spec's is a great place if you want to experiment with individual beers rather than buying a whole six pack only to find out it's something you don't like. Great selection.
    I notice that they no longer advertise the downtown Houston location as stocking "every beer that's legal to sell in Texas". Too many small brewers these days, I suppose.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I wouldn't generalize folks as being a hipster or snob for loving beer and trying to find the best that they like. I have made an attempt to try every Texas craft beer I come across to see what different ideas people have. Some are terrible some are great, most are mediocre in my opinion. Buffalo Butt from Rahr and Sons is my current favorite.

Yes to the Buffalo Butt. Its also called "texas red" in places. Good beer no matter what you call it. But, its still not Murphy's Irish Red. Which I cannot find anywhere.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Drinking at a hotel bar late one night, one of friends asks what is my favorite Scotch. Turns out he is a collector, and so he gifted me my fav, a bottle of 25 year old Glenmorangie. The first glencairn was toasted in his honor.

No, you can't come over.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Drinking at a hotel bar late one night, one of friends asks what is my favorite Scotch. Turns out he is a collector, and so he gifted me my fav, a bottle of 25 year old Glenmorangie. The first glencairn was toasted in his honor.

No, you can't come over.

Wow, nice gift. I almost bought a 21, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $240.

Top Bottom