ARJ Defense ad

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Assuming 100% of your energy needs on average are supplied by the system, and a utility average cost of electric at $300/mo. (including speculative future price increases), that means a 20 year payback. Ouch.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Assuming 100% of your energy needs on average are supplied by the system, and a utility average cost of electric at $300/mo. (including speculative future price increases), that means a 20 year payback. Ouch.

Factor maintenance cost over 20yrs I bet adds another $100 a month. My bill hasn't been over $250 in the 4yrs with our CO OP. It averages $165-200.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I didn't get it for a payback, I got it because I had no power for 5 days in Feb 2021 and don't want to rely on the power company any longer.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I like being independent of the grid during power outages but I will have to depend on my generator for a power outage.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I considered a Rivian for a minute, then I realized I need more than a 4 1/2 foot bed. I pick up animal feed, transport building materials, carry full loads up to camp, and dead deer back. I pull a trailer with 4 wheelers and the Rivian's range is cut almost in half when you put a load behind it. There are few if any chargers where we live and hunt. It's a no for me, dog.
    A RIVIAN TRUCK WOULD BE PERFECT FOR OUR USE OF A TRUCK BUT IT'S A NO GO WHEN THE PRICE TAG ISOVER$90K!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I never had a $300 dollar electric bill until last summer.
    I was getting them over $400.
    25 years ago before deregulation when I paid over 15 cents kwh with TNMP, my big house with two most likely 8-seer heat pumps ran over $500 a month one hot summer. Smaller house now and the January cold snap had mine at $306 but it ran for 4 or 5 days. Several people in the neighborhood had bills that month between $700-$1000 but they probably had large homes and might be running a 20yo heat pump with no maintenance.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Yes I have a Tesla Powerwall 2 It charges all morning until around noon-ish when it reached 100%. On cloudy days, it might take until 2:00
    Just one? I looked at a system, I think it was made by generac though, and was going to need two battery packs, and I still wasn’t going to be able to run my whole house as normal off that alone. I believe the cost was similar. Never looked into the Tesla system though since they didn’t want to send anyone out to the house for a quote.

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just one? I looked at a system, I think it was made by generac though, and was going to need two battery packs, and I still wasn’t going to be able to run my whole house as normal off that alone. I believe the cost was similar. Never looked into the Tesla system though since they didn’t want to send anyone out to the house for a quote.
    Yup, just one, that will supply 13kWh. It's just big enough to run the house over the night in most cases. If it's really hot or really cold out, we draw from the grid in the morning.
    The only part of the system that's Tesla on mine is the Powerwall 2, the rest of the system is other manufacturers: 44 LG panels with Enphase micro inverters, and a Enphase controller system.

cav2108541

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    About 10 people I know have recently bought Teslas.
    Tesla owners are becoming sort of a cult, proselytizing all the time.

Wishing to stay culturally literate, I went and test drove one today.

Jeeeeeezzus......
    0-60 MPH between 2 massive electric motors in the diminutive little Model 3 in 3.2 seconds is just an indescribable exhilaration. And that's their entry level sedan.

Think how fast the chuck on your cordless Milwaukee drill reaches full speed and you will get the idea.

Never mind that the thing costs almost exactly the same as a new Ford Raptor.
    It is amazing.

The still-to-come high end Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Go 250 MPH and drive from Austin to to a Beto rally in El Paso without stoping once!! Oh. It's expensive.

Just about all the auto makers are about to introduce their respective versions.
    HEY, THIS IS AMERICA. You should be able to buy whatever kind of vehicle you want, but the government needs to stay out of it. 20 years from now, they will either say "I used to have an EV, but they don't make them anymore", or "I used to have a gas or diesel vehicle but they don't make them anymore." The "don't make them anymore" part should be because no one wants one anymore, not because the government forced the manufacturers to stop making them for whatever BS reason.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX

no2gates

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    shocked.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members