Gun Zone Deals

Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    About 10 people I know have recently bought Teslas.
    Tesla owners are becoming sort of a cult, proselytizing all the time.

Wishing to stay culturally literate, I went and test drove one today.

Jeeeeeezzus......
    0-60 MPH between 2 massive electric motors in the diminutive little Model 3 in 3.2 seconds is just an indescribable exhilaration. And that's their entry level sedan.

Think how fast the chuck on your cordless Milwaukee drill reaches full speed and you will get the idea.

Never mind that the thing costs almost exactly the same as a new Ford Raptor.
    It is amazing.

The still-to-come high end Tesla Roadster will do 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. Go 250 MPH and drive from Austin to to a Beto rally in El Paso without stoping once!! Oh. It's expensive.

Just about all the auto makers are about to introduce their respective versions.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The acceleration on them is insane. The super charger infrastructure and long range had helped their staying power. There's no denying they are nicely appointed cars and their tech is pretty amazing.

Electric vehicles will remain a rich commuter's car though until they can meet and exceed the range of a Tesla in a much cheaper offering.

And charging needs to become as widespread and fast as a regular gas fill up.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    You still have a battery to replace in 5 years & it won't be cheap. I know several people that bought a Prius. When the battery died it was 5k for the battery + labor if your not a do it yourself type. I'm not much on the whole electric cars yet. Especially when the US government & other countries gives million of dollars to Tesla in subsidies.

This all compares to Tesla reporting a $312 million profit for the third quarter. Subtract the $713 million in U.S. subsidies, and Tesla's results would be far weaker. Add in the international subsidies received from countries such as Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands and the U.K., and the situation would look even worse.

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/inv...in-product-isn-t-cars-it-s-subsidies-14769263

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Electric vehicles do have a lot of advantages over gas powered vehicles. They are much less complex. No oil changes or tune ups required. No transmissions to maintain or rebuild. Zero emissions, great acceleration and torque. Technology will eventually solve the battery replacement and range pitfall. I can picture, in 100 years or less, 100% self driving and electric vehicles on the road. What fun is that?

I don't think the infrastructure in it's current state could support a 100% conversion to electric. Maybe not even 50%.

para_bellum

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 29, 2019
    Dripping Springs, TX
    A friend at work has one and I got to experience the acceleration, it is indeed amazing!

Subsidies are unlikely go away, the "climate change" religion allows convenient allocation of tax dollars.

By the time I'm old & grey I'm sure governments will be mandating EV use in order to save Mother Earth. I'll stick with fossil fuels as long as I can.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    If battery powered cars made sense, they would have been successful the first time around.

bpB1w6u.jpg

To me it looks like they only make sense as commuter mobiles for the wealthy (house needed, second weekend car needed, office job with chargers in the parking garage needed), and the proles can go eff off and take the bus, but they can still pay the taxes that subsidize their bosses' electric cars.

Attachments

• bpB1w6u.jpg
      bpB1w6u.jpg
      159.2 KB · Views: 1,091

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Electric vehicles do have a lot of advantages over gas powered vehicles. They are much less complex. No oil changes or tune ups required. No transmissions to maintain or rebuild. Zero emissions, great acceleration and torque. Technology will eventually solve the battery replacement and range pitfall. I can picture, in 100 years or less, 100% self driving and electric vehicles on the road. What fun is that?

I don't think the infrastructure in it's current state could support a 100% conversion to electric. Maybe not even 50%.

No, not zero emissions. Where does the electricity come from to charge them? It ain't all wind power.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Remember that your air conditioner is also powered by the battery.
    Many parts of the country already have rolling blackouts due to infrastructure deficiencies.
    That is going to make mountains of old batteries, full of toxic mostly non recyclable materials.
    If you run out of power at an inconvenient time, you can’t just get a gas can and be on your way.
    Shall I keep going....

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    It will be interesting to watch the evolution of the electric car. I think it may be something like electric RC planes. I had a friend who got one when they first came out. Very underpowered and short flight times. It just couldn't carry enough battery. Over time, the batteries got much better and the brushless technology made the motors stronger and more efficient. Now, many electric models rival the gas planes. Take a look at this marvel, for example:

If the electric cars have a similar evolution, we should see some affordable, very desiraable models in the near future.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth

"Zero emissions" - not true. You still have the emissions that are the result of the generation of the energy, loss of energy in transmission and loss of energy in the battery itself. So, unless we have a zero emission electric grid, these are are not zero emission. Also, the batteries have a high cost to the environment on building and on disposal.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Probably but charging times, availability of chargers, range and cost are the items they must overcome to really compete. More of an expensive novelty at this point. Then consider the increased load on the power grid if they were truly the norm. It's near impossible in many areas to just build power plants since they as popular as landfills.

Look at how long hybrids have been available. I seriously considered one back in 2012 when I commuted highway but I bought a non-hybrid that got 40mpg and cost half the price. I calculated it would take over 250k miles on the hybrid before I'd break even.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You still have a battery to replace in 5 years & it won't be cheap. I know several people that bought a Prius.

Actually the Model 3 I drove yesterday with the long range battery has a factory 8 year or 120,000 mile warranty on the battery.

It may be that cars become like phones.
    Use-up and toss.
    An 8 year warranty suggest that it'll last longer than that for most users.
    Know anybody still using their iPhone 3 from 9 years ago? Likely not.

The bigger question is if Tesla will even be around in 8 years!

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    This is not just about Tesla. Nissan, Chevy, Huyndai, BMW, Jaguar and more all have electric only vehicles.
    Range is getting better and better.

They are the future. I recently purchased a new car and I seriously considered an electric. I spent more for my internal combustion engined car than I could have purchased a Tesla 3 for. I wanted a coupe, and I travel in Texas for work.

That brings me to the charging times. In my gasoline fueled car I can fuel up and be on my way in less than 5 minutes, but mostly I fuel up, use the bathroom, get a coffee or water and then get on my way. Max time is 15 minutes. If the charging times can be reduced to that at standard chargers, I am in for electric.

The polotical conversation about Tesla isn't really relevant to the future of EVs.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Actually the Model 3 I drove yesterday with the long range battery has a factory 8 year or 120,000 mile warranty on the battery.

It may be that cars become like phones.
    Use-up and toss.
    An 8 year warranty suggest that it'll last longer than that for most users.
    Know anybody still using their iPhone 3 from 9 years ago? Likely not.

The bigger question is if Tesla will even be around in 8 years!

I will be surprised, knowing the state of battery technology, if that 8 years is truly achieved.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Drive a few hours and then wait over an hour while it recharges? {If you can find a place to recharge.}

No thanks.

Not really.
    The average American drives 13,400 miles a year.
    That's around 1,100 miles a month.

In practicality that means do all your driving as you now do and plug it in at home ever 4-6 days overnight.
    Each plug-in would cost about $6 here. I pump about $250 of gasoline monthly.
    I know a lot of Tesla owners doing that today.

Admittedly an all electric car is a terrible choice if I want to drive to Amarillo tomorrow.

Tesla's new yet-to-arrive roadster is enormously powerful and will go 620 miles.
    Mess with that math and imagine that, in 2022, Toyota produces an American-made all electric Civic that is faster than the current Civic and will go 1,200 miles on a $10 once-a-month.
    That can and will be transformative.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom