Electric Vehicles here to stay, for good or bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Sometimes it's not so much the appliance as it is the type of operator it attracts...

1725031047630.png

1725031059314.png

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I am thinking of saving money and not the environment. I'm not a global warming fanatic. Here are my thoughts.

In my mind an electric vehicle only makes sense if you have a complete solar system on the roof of your house and can charge the vehicle for "free". I say free since I'm not including the cost of the home solar system.
    The free chargers at Tesla or other companies that offer them are few and far between and can be in use and unavailable so can't be relied upon.
    The charging centers cost more per mile than plain 'ol gasoline too. The current infrastructure can't handle the demand of 100% electric cars either.

Also your lifestyle has to keep you within a battery charge range of home and never travel long range to save your money at your "free" charger at home.

The time it takes to charge is also not insignificant. I drive to Missouri at least once a year and won't wait for the battery to charge along the way.

I'm not too concerned with battery life. They are much better than even 10 years ago. My mother's Prius is 11 years old with the same battery pack and working fine.
    The mining of the exotic materials to make the batteries is probably the worst part of electric cars. It's a nasty process and offsets any environmental good of having an electric car. So you are just virtue signaling to the rest of the herd.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Those things do weigh close to 10k lbs and GM probably figured any off roading would be too far from a charger to need to worry about being prepared for.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My son had an electric vehicle from Toys R Us when he was 4 years old. Electric vehicles were a problem then and remain so today.
    Years ago, my girls had a Barbie Jeep and it's small replacement battery was something like $70. So I bought a $15 riding lawnmower battery, cut out some area under the hood and rewired for that battery which worked much better. I eventually installed a small solar panel on the hood to keep it charged. It had a governed speed but with the lawnmower battery, it would definitely have a quick jerk when pressing the gas pedal from a stop.

Top Bottom