• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Teaching one of my wife's girl friends to shoot. I'm between the two talking to my wife. And I'm hearing Bang ting, bang ting behind me. I look and the woman is methodically looking downrange while shooting the tin overhang roof of the range. I asked if she was bird hunting. No she answers I'm doing what you said. Keeping the very important front sight lined up with the target from where I can see it. What about the rear sight? I asked. You didn't say it was important so I'm keeping it out of the way. Did what you were doing feel right. I asked No she answered seriously it does not feel right. Lets go back here and talk about sight picture once more.
    My bride is a natural shot and just seems to understand how to put lead downrange. Last time I saw the GF, she and her husband were going to buy matching Glocks. She got the picture

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Your a better man than me…. When those questions are answered with no,no maybe… I’m brutally honest and say good chance that gun will be used against her. She’s better off without one.

I don’t even go that far, I tell them their wife should be having this conversation, not them and if asked why, I tell them it’s like their wife asking my wife what fishing lure her husband should buy.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    The shooting can be done, slowly and methodically. I have never witnessed the second situation ever be successfully taught, so I believe it is a myth.
    No Sir, not a myth. I taught my wife to back a trailer really well. It took a couple days of practice. Of course we hadn’t been married long at that point.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I agree with the OP except for one thing....I would recommend a revolver in .22lr or .22Mag, especially these days. Both are easy to learn and practice with. And ammo advances make both guns decent choices in SD situations. Multiple .22-caliber holes in the face are much more effective than the .38Spl you're afraid to shoot....or can't find ammo for.

The Ruger LCR and Taurus 942 revolvers in those calibers have a lot to offer.....especially that 8-round .22Mag.....

We can't get .22WMR lately. . . . . . . .

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No Sir, not a myth. I taught my wife to back a trailer really well. It took a couple days of practice. Of course we hadn’t been married long at that point.
    I was successful with this. I showed her the key point and then walked away and let her figure it out. She's pretty good at it nowadays.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My recommendation would be a 357 Mag over a 38 Spec. For a small amount of added weight and length, they get a gun that will shoot 38 Special, but will allow them to go to something more powerful if they decide that's what they want later.

Alternatively, I've noticed that a lot of compact revolvers have started being chambered in 9mm, which I really like the idea of. Shoving a loaded clip into a revolver is faster than using a speed loader. The ammo is also cheaper, and you generally have more options.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My recommendation would be a 357 Mag over a 38 Spec. For a small amount of added weight and length, they get a gun that will shoot 38 Special, but will allow them to go to something more powerful if they decide that's what they want later.

Alternatively, I've noticed that a lot of compact revolvers have started being chambered in 9mm, which I really like the idea of. Shoving a loaded clip into a revolver is faster than using a speed loader. The ammo is also cheaper, and you generally have more options.
    I like the idea too and out of a short barrel that 9mm will do better than a 38. Generally.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    When my wife decided she wanted one after 25 years of marriage and never shot anything but a 22 rifle...I suggested she take an intro course and I took it along with her just to gauge her reaction. I did this...
    1) Never teach your spouse something where she might get frustrated
    2) Most important, this course had participants fire around 10 rounds from 10 different handguns. Wheel guns, semi-automatic, small caliber, large caliber and varying size/weight guns.

That course was worth every penny.
    The sheriff in Archuleta County Colorado has a fam fire program for women every June , each lady fires five rounds thru a variety of weapons AND for a $5 fee they can shoot a 50 BMG! Sorry no guys allowed;)

Top Bottom