• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    2 or 3 times a year a non-gun or Fudd person will ask me about a first time hand gun choice for a wife, or girlfriend for carry and personal protection

I always ask the following questions:

Does she have any handgun experience?

Ever shot one, handled one etc?

Does she intend to practice with or or commit the time needed to get acquainted with it or get trained?

Most of the time the answers are no, no, and maybe.

Given that information, I will almost always suggest they look at a .38 revolver.

People who aren't trained can or familiar with a SA/DA pistol can have problems with limp wristing, FTF, FTE, grip safeties and magazines.

And in the last 2 cases. They listened to my advice, said I'd makes sense, then goes to the store and let's some 20 year old gun counter commando, special forces wannabe, sell them a flashy SA pistol that they can't even rack the slide on let alone clear a jam while a bad guy is advancing on them.

But that's fine..it will go into their fancy new holster in their purse and sit there until it has enough lint in the muzzle to knit a sweater.

The next one that ask, I'm tempted to just smile and tell them to watch YouTube and save me my time

Fuktards...
    Lynx Defense

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    When my wife decided she wanted one after 25 years of marriage and never shot anything but a 22 rifle...I suggested she take an intro course and I took it along with her just to gauge her reaction. I did this...
    1) Never teach your spouse something where she might get frustrated
    2) Most important, this course had participants fire around 10 rounds from 10 different handguns. Wheel guns, semi-automatic, small caliber, large caliber and varying size/weight guns.

That course was worth every penny.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Fuktards...
    Everywhere. You just gotta go into it knowing it’s no one’s fault. When I sold guns the best thing you can do is show people the rabbit hole and show them basics. Most counter commandos make the number one biggest mistake and don’t say: you’re new to firearms? Let me ask some questions, and I would love to hear any questions you have and let me get an associate to help these other folks so I can give y’all the attention you deserve.

Then go from there. It’s been my experience folks who don’t know anything come into a store or gun show with their shields up. If it’s gonna be a productive experience they need to be comfortable and understand it’s ok to ask stupid questions as there are no stupid questions.

A lot of counter commandos want a fast sale. It’s all they know.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Gun counter commandos! If it happens to be a woman looking to buy, they tend to over-sell the smaller calibers, thinking women can't handle larger calibers.
    Lol last show I attended in Waxahachie I overheard this guy telling his gf she couldn’t handle a revolver because blah blah blah and meanwhile the gun he’s holding had a really nice rubber grip.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    A .38 is a good suggestion, just make sure it is a 3", or 4" barrel, a 2" is NOT for beginners.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Right on. And make sure it is not a super lightweight like my LCR 38 because with one shot my wife won't touch it again. And she is a knowledgeable gun handler and a better shot than I am. But I have to clean them.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    VMAX,

Excellent advice.

Let me add: Be sure the woman (or man for that matter) can pull the trigger on the chosen revolver.

My Ruger SP101 has a 12 lb. trigger pull (or there about) and neither my wife or 25 year Granddaugter can pull the trigger on it.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    A friend and neighbor recently passed, leaving his wife with a few guns that were all inappropriate for her. She's been carrying a little 25 acp that, when I checked it, is essentially non-functional (it might fire the round in the chamber).

She had asked me what gun she might buy, so we went out for lunch one day and I took a number from my collection for her to try out as we sat at her dining room table after, including a Glock 43, S&W 3913, S&W 669, Ruger LCP, Ruger GP-100, and my Sig P-365. This was just a hands on session, me explaining function, no shooting, no ammunition anywhere around... just a chance for her to handle the guns and me to assess her capabilities.

What I learned was that she has no trigger discipline and will not likely learn it and no hand/arm strength to cycle any semi-auto, or handle the complexities of magazine loading and ejecting, or safeties. She was able to handle the GP-100 single or double action, except that the weight was a bit much.

I have several revolvers, but they all larger frame, bought in the 70's, 80's, and 90's without thought for carry, so that being a hole in my own collection, I ordered a Taurus 605 and a Ruger SP-101, both spurless. The Taurus 605 was defective, apparently the center bore of the cylinder was off enough that, loaded, case heads in certain chambers would bind against the frame on rotation. Fortunately, I was able to return the gun, with no loss except return shipping. The SP-101 is a nice enough revolver. I immediately replaced the grip with a Hogue and did a trigger job including replacing the hammer spring with one of reduced power.

So, intending them for show-n-tell, I set about loading some low power .357 cartridges over a range of powder weights using Bullseye and Unique for my neighbors evaluation, to determine just how much recoil she could handle in a revolver more sized for her to handle and carry.

When I called her to see when we might have a short shooting session, where my intent was no more than to have her shoot up to 5 ascending power rounds for each of the two powders (maybe a few more for good measure), so I could then load a larger number of practice rounds (of her choice) for another session, she was at that point non-receptive. I'll now leave it to her to make the next move... If I hear no more on the matter, that will be fine!

The older I get, the more I realize that offering, or even agreeing, to help people, much less making any recommendation for some product (or even a restaurant), is seldom worth the likely frustration, or later indictment.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    When helping ladies..........

One must take the time to be patient ..........be knowledable.......be patient........

My wife does a good job with the ladies in helping them decide on an appropriate firearm for them.....

Revolvers are not always the best choice.......sometimes yes.........sometimes not..........

I will say, when the lady choses her own, it is ....her gun.......otherwise it is the gun my husband/boyfriend bought for me......

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    oldag,

Good advice.

I started both my Granddaughters off with an air rifle at ages 8 and 12 at the time.

Then my Browning Buckmark .22 cal. semi-auto

Later, my G19 9 MM semi-auto.

They did great with every gradual increase in caliber.

Now, they're both grown and both carry.

So too does one husband and one boy friend, both gun enthusiasts I'm happy to say...

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Not all women have a problem with recoil. Start with .22 and work up until they say too much recoil. Might be a bigger caliber than you would have guessed.
    You are assuming they want to practice and learn hands on.
    Some dont..they just want to buy a gun to tell their girlfriends and that's the end of it

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Your a better man than me…. When those questions are answered with no,no maybe… I’m brutally honest and say good chance that gun will be used against her. She’s better off without one.
    Situation awareness and attack planning is your first defense. If your woman walks around in the white all day and you can’t teach her situation awareness… she doesn’t need a gun.
    Cannot agree more. Having a gun just for the sake of having one without any training is not the best way to defend oneself.
    Just like buying a car to drive oneself "in case of dire need" won't help the person to drive themselves if they never practice any driving or have a clue about the laws pertaining to driving.
    Good training is invaluable, especially when it comes to protecting one's life with a deadly weapon.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When helping ladies..........

One must take the time to be patient ..........be knowledable.......be patient........

My wife does a good job with the ladies in helping them decide on an appropriate firearm for them.....

Revolvers are not always the best choice.......sometimes yes.........sometimes not..........

I will say, when the lady choses her own, it is ....her gun.......otherwise it is the gun my husband/boyfriend bought for me......
    Some women are more willing to take the advice of someone other then their husband!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Not all women have a problem with recoil. Start with .22 and work up until they say too much recoil. Might be a bigger caliber than you would have guessed.
    That is very true. The mistake some of the gun counter commandos make, is they "assume" a female can't handle recoil.

My wife loves her 40 S&W pistols, and she shoots them decently. She also has no problems with shooting a 357 revolver loaded with hot loads either. She ain't Annie Oakley, but she hits what she's aiming at.

Top Bottom