Venture Surplus ad

Dropped a deposit on ~35+ acres today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    About 14 minutes from Henderson. I got a hell of a deal, in my mind, just what we wanted.
    They just brought up their price $65K last month, and I swooped when I saw it.
    There are a couple similar listings around Henderson, but way less nearer LA than I found a year ago.

Normally, from my searching, near a large city, for 10-37 acres its over $230k-$270k for raw land, or semi-raw, really depends on location.
    You really only need (officially) 10 acres to shoot on your own land, or 50 acres in in city limits

Ours: Some fenced off oil-lease, some marsh, some hill, no road/driveway per-se so I am guessing the surveyor will drop it right around 35+ acres) for under $150k, it is quite a bit out of the way from major cities (~2.75 hour drive from Dallas) near Henderson. The further you go out from major highways and cities, generally, the cheaper properties are, which also limits work-options.

We don't plan on building there yet, but going there for fun and shooting right now, and will worry about power, septic, internet, and water later.
    Right now it'll just be our range and tailgate-camping getaway.
    Never worry about water later. It can bite you in the ass.
    Military Camp

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    That’s close but not quite right. As with most Texas statutes there’s a lot of if/thens.

For example, it don’t matter the acreage if you go off property. There’s also Local Government Code 235 to deal with.

Generally, if there’s no county restrictions AND not in a platted subdivision of any size AND there’s no deed restrictions then you get the most freedom.

Where it gets sticky is large acreage subdivisions (ranchettes).

Due diligence is worth it’s weight in gold.
    Neighbor to the property is a cop, and he was shooting on his property... he's only on ~11 acres.

My understanding is if in city limits, of a pop of over 100,000, 50 acres is required...
    Outside of city limits,

Can you please post a link to the info you reference?

I searched for all the keywords I could muster, but came up with the same as I mentioned, even when referencing some of you keywords...

I recurrently hit this info, regurgitated...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Can you please elaborate?

Trying to wrap my head around any issues, as property is new to me w/out city water...

Would I lose water rights due to lagging on something?
    Just make sure the surface and mineral rights transfer to you.

It's kinda rare anymore. But it's very important.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Can you please elaborate?

Trying to wrap my head around any issues, as property is new to me w/out city water...

Would I lose water rights due to lagging on something?
    My Sister bought 150 acers. Power, septic, and tanks no problem. Potable water big problem. Water is extremely deep and a lot of solids. Going to a local utility that you are at there mercy is the big problem

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    My Sister bought 150 acers. Power, septic, and tanks no problem. Potable water big problem. Water is extremely deep and a lot of solids. Going to a local utility that you are at there mercy is the big problem
    Thanks, we estimated $6k-$12K for a water well.
    This and other factors are why we are waiting.

Gotta get some Trail Cams soon too to see what other critters are ripe for the taking.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    can I ask how much the final price was? I'm curious as I'm going to be moving out East Texas or Arkansas in the next 24 to 36 months
    You really just have to keep looking, all the time, and eventually you MIGHT strike gold....
    I've been searching on-and-off for about a year. FINALLY gold was struck!

I found my last house on Zillow, then this too...

Use the search features and click any red dot you might want to live near.

I fortunately had extra options, as most of the time I am Work From Home, so as long as it has an Internet connection, I can work...
    My wife is a Medical Assistant by trade (after a ~year subatical working as a retail grocerty-clerk), until she found something related again.

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    Neighbor to the property is a cop, and he was shooting on his property... he's only on ~11 acres.

My understanding is if in city limits, of a pop of over 100,000, 50 acres is required...
    Outside of city limits,

Can you please post a link to the info you reference?

I searched for all the keywords I could muster, but came up with the same as I mentioned, even when referencing some of you keywords...

I recurrently hit this info, regurgitated...

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Au contraire. I present Palm Jumeirah in Dubai.
    39fcfe6d5ad4ba3f4af07e3706db1324.jpg
    Dubia a country of engineering marvels, that forgets about sewer infastructure.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Congrats on your purchase. Owning raw land is a chore, especially if you plan on developing it yourself, but very rewarding when you see the fruits of your labor. After purchasing 38 acres in Burkeville, I got a few quotes on getting 1200 ft of road put in, digging a septic and having a water line run and it was cost prohibitive for me. All together it was close to 80k and the land still wouldn't be fully developed.
    I started buying my own equipment and developing my land as time allows.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Congrats on your purchase. Owning raw land is a chore, especially if you plan on developing it yourself, but very rewarding when you see the fruits of your labor. After purchasing 38 acres in Burkeville, I got a few quotes on getting 1200 ft of road put in, digging a septic and having a water line run and it was cost prohibitive for me. All together it was close to 80k and the land still wouldn't be fully developed.
    I started buying my own equipment and developing my land as time allows.
    This is our plan. I might do side-gigs with equipment purchased.

One thing "I" really didn't think about is a toilet for the ladies, or if males have to excrete more than just tree-uric acid containing fluids...

I think I am going to need to build an outhouse, at least for use while going there for the weekend.
    "BUT more of a reason to buy a multi-purpose tractor!" - Say I, to the wife... :D

South of Henderson (half-wayish between Henderson and Mt. Enterprise), outside of city limits, it looks to maybe be legal to build/make an outhouse, if the following don't apply?:
    • Is over 200 square feet
    • Has plumbing
    • Is over 15 feet tall
    • Is attached to your home
    • Is built on a floodplain
    • Is more than one story high

Top Bottom