Lynx Defense

Dropped a deposit on ~35+ acres today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Yippee ki yay!

Seller accepted our offer for 35+ acres, and it's no longer listed on Zillow, posted this just after the good faith deposit dropped:

20220808_133102.jpg

20220808_133114.jpg

20220808_133417.jpg

20220808_133420.jpg

20220808_133329.jpg

It's got a nice creek (currently flowing water) and some overflow creeks, half the property slopes up gradually for a backstop, plenty of flatland that barely needs clearing, and a small marsh-ish area we will probably dig up for a pond...

If there's anything we forgot to research, we will deal with it, as it will be free-and clear (except for property taxes).
    Target Sports

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    can I ask how much the final price was? I'm curious as I'm going to be moving out East Texas or Arkansas in the next 24 to 36 months
    About 14 minutes from Henderson. I got a hell of a deal, in my mind, just what we wanted.
    They just brought up their price $65K last month, and I swooped when I saw it.
    There are a couple similar listings around Henderson, but way less nearer LA than I found a year ago.

Normally, from my searching, near a large city, for 10-37 acres its over $230k-$270k for raw land, or semi-raw, really depends on location.
    You really only need (officially) 10 acres to shoot on your own land, or 50 acres in in city limits

Ours: Some fenced off oil-lease, some marsh, some hill, no road/driveway per-se so I am guessing the surveyor will drop it right around 35+ acres) for under $150k, it is quite a bit out of the way from major cities (~2.75 hour drive from Dallas) near Henderson. The further you go out from major highways and cities, generally, the cheaper properties are, which also limits work-options.

We don't plan on building there yet, but going there for fun and shooting right now, and will worry about power, septic, internet, and water later.
    Right now it'll just be our range and tailgate-camping getaway.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    That’s cheap - about $4k per acre. I paid about $6,500 per for my ~ 30 acres 5 years ago. I do have septic, a road, a pond, Internet, etc. I’m also rather remote. My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile, itbisb15 miles to the nearest Dollar General, and 35 minutes to Lufkin.

You will love it.

My only concern is getting older and being a long way from the hospital. Then again, when I lived in the Houston area I was still a half an hour from the nearest hospital.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Yippee ki yay!

Seller accepted our offer for 35+ acres, and it's no longer listed on Zillow, posted this just after the good faith deposit dropped:

View attachment 337608

View attachment 337609

View attachment 337610

View attachment 337611

View attachment 337615

It's got a nice creek (currently flowing water) and some overflow creeks, half the property slopes up gradually for a backstop, plenty of flatland that barely needs clearing, and a small marsh-ish area we will probably dig up for a pond...

If there's anything we forgot to research, we will deal with it, as it will be free-and clear (except for property taxes).
    Congrats on putting down some roots in East Texas! I hope you post pictures as you do improvements.

What county is that in? I'm over here in Anderson county, just south of Tyler.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Congrats on putting down some roots in East Texas! I hope you post pictures as you do improvements.

What county is that in? I'm over here in Anderson county, just south of Tyler.
    I am just south of Tyler myself, but looks like the Henderson area is in Rusk County, but we won't be voting from there until my daughter graduates...

She didn't want to change High schools, so we are renting at least a few more years in the Whitehouse School District.

It IS nice to know we have it free-and clear (aside from taxes), and that is a HUGE weight lifted, and we thought we'd have to drop more on a property.

NOW we have to think about a tractor, to put in work, and maybe have the property work for us, when we get our arses out there...
    Bog=Work if it's to become a future pond...

FIRST a mower, or a tractor for just mowing paths, and flattening paths to pseudo-open areas...

It'll be a HELLOFA shooting range, and I wonder if the cop next door with thing we've got NFA schtuffs, with the 2 binary trigger toys we have, and maybe more in the future...?
    (Realtor said they talked to one of the neighbors who was a copper and shooting on his property when they went to say hi, and ask about the area/property.)

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I sold 15 acres in west Bandera County 7 years ago for $8k/acre; land I paid $1300/acre for in 1994.

20 acre property adjacent sold for $18k/acre recently.

$4k sounds a deal to me, especially with flowing water!

Congratulations!

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Congratulations OP, I am jealous. Kinda hoping prices come down here next year.
    I understand in the large cities it starts, and in overpriced Beach areas...
    My father says that Huntington Beach is starting to drop, and I watched a few Youtube videos stating it is on it's way back down.

I wasn't waiting for ~36.xy acres though... happy with what I got!
    Deer, wabbits, & "more chow" that "eats vegetarian's food"...
    It appears they have hogs in them thar trees.
    :D

Pops told me to wait until Jan, but this was too good, with a back stop, to pass up on...
    They want <$130K more in Whitehouse, TX for only 13 acres...

Looks like I need to buy me a used .308 rifle with some glass in the For Sale section now.

Bambi ain't donate itself to the dinner plate...

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …You really only need (officially) 10 acres to shoot on your own land, or 50 acres in in city limits…
    That’s close but not quite right. As with most Texas statutes there’s a lot of if/thens.

For example, it don’t matter the acreage if you go off property. There’s also Local Government Code 235 to deal with.

Generally, if there’s no county restrictions AND not in a platted subdivision of any size AND there’s no deed restrictions then you get the most freedom.

Where it gets sticky is large acreage subdivisions (ranchettes).

Due diligence is worth it’s weight in gold.

Top Bottom